Post braces - Root Canals??

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Steph30

Post braces - Root Canals??

#1 Post by Steph30 »

I was debraced around April 2019... and almost immediately after had extreme sensitivity in one part of my mouth.. its continually gotten worse and started causing extreme toothaches... Now dentist says I need a root canal in that tooth (Upper right, second molar) - 1300$ :roll:

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced any need for root canals after having braces off? Theres other spots in my mouth that are sore but this one requires attention now.. I fear there will be more to come.

Side note: I've also struggled immensely with my retainer and its still uncomfortable, causes headaches etc :cry: Theres still times when I question if the braces were worth it.. I have had nothing but discomfort and problems since they came off.. but I am happy with the cosmetic result.

djspeece

Re: Post braces - Root Canals??

#2 Post by djspeece »

The situation with your retainer should be discussed with your ortho -- I don't think it is normal to have that sort of discomfort this far out from debracing. You may want to consider another type of retainer, or at least be refitted for a new one. I hope you do not need a root canal, so perhaps that tooth can be saved -- but given your issues with the retainer, I have to wonder if the two may be connected (i.e., retainer issues & pain/sensitivity). Perhaps you should also consult with an endodontist. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying