Fixed braces and extraction at 50

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gladysp2

Fixed braces and extraction at 50

#1 Post by Gladysp2 »

Hi, I am nearing the end of my braces journey. I got them 11 months ago as I’d always hated my very overcrowded lower teeth. I was a victim of British 1970/80’s dentistry where they were concerned with making your top teeth straight but gave no consideration to the bottom teeth.
I had one very protruding lower incisor that a rude ex used to call my ‘bottle opener’ tooth and this was my main focus for getting braces.
I have ceramic Radiance on my uppers and metal on my lowers. 6 months in it became apparent that I needed one of my lower incisors out. This is not a decision that I took lightly as it felt wrong removing a healthy tooth and I had concerns about symmetry and the aesthetics of only having 3 lower incisors. So.... I had the left middle one out (a very traumatic experience) and went on holiday 2 weeks later with a massive gap. If I had forum permissions to post photos I would.
It’s surprising how quickly the gap closes with power chain and at my last visit my Ortho filed in between my incisors to reduce the black triangle. I know its still there but it’s not obvious.
So I now find that when I bite together the upper and lower teeth on the left of my jaw don’t meet as closely as the right, so I have been in one box elastic for two weeks. I hate them! Plus I can’t see any improvement, how long do they take to work?
When I smile I’m so aware of a small dark diamond shape formed by the gap between my upper and lower incisors. I can’t see how this can be improved.
Also I’m booked for my de bond in January, am I being unrealistic in my quest for a 100% perfect smile?
Were you all completely happy when your braces came off? Obviously I need to discuss this with my Ortho but any experiences would be welcome. :tingrin:

djspeece

Re: Fixed braces and extraction at 50

#2 Post by djspeece »

First, happy New Year and congrats on reaching the home stretch with your braces. For me, I was 90% pleased with the final result, as most of my issues were functional, vs. cosmetic. I have some sall black triangles due mainly to the shape of my teeth -- but the overall look is much improved in some subtle ways. As you probably realize we are our own worst critics, so at least in my case I was not seeking perfection (I was 65 when I was debraced, after a 3 year treatment course.) Of course you are on the right track to speak with your ortho about your concerns.
Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying