Recently debraced questions

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Wiredinthepast

Recently debraced questions

#1 Post by Wiredinthepast »

Hello everyone,
I was recently debraced after 3 years of braces. I was given clear retainers & I have a bonded one behind my top teeth. The clear retainer for my bottom teeth allowed the incisors to move a little which is very noticeable to me. The retainer still fits as I wear it full time but it doesn't seem to be retaining all of my teeth. Both my clear retainers cover 12 of my teeth on the top & bottom jaw respectively so 4 of my back molars aren't covered, is that a problem since I had brackets on all my top teeth? Both of my retainers are easy to remove & put in. I see other people's retainers take a bit of a force to remove them which makes me think mine aren't tight enough. My orthodontist said they were fine but to me they don't feel stable or like they are keeping my teeth in place. Will 2+ weeks be too long of a wait until I can get new retainers made somewhere else? I'm not happy about my bottom teeth & it's probably an easy fix but I'm not sure what course of action to take? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bbsadmin

Re: Recently debraced questions

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

You should tell your orthodontist how you feel. Perhaps he'll make a Hawley retainer for you instead, or re-make your clear retainers to cover all of your teeth. I wouldn't recommend going someplace else to get the retainers made.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Wiredinthepast

#3 Post by Wiredinthepast »

I have talked to him about this. He's not interested in making me new retainers, also the quality will be the same & since they aren't really retaining my teeth then there's no point.

Wiredinthepast

#4 Post by Wiredinthepast »

Also forgot to mention that I do have a Hawley retainer as well which isn't really helping & actually moves my teeth in a completely different direction so I don't wear it.

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

Any consideration for a second opinion on how to handle retention issues?
Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Wiredinthepast

#6 Post by Wiredinthepast »

Thanks. I didn't quite get the question - did you mean any retention tips?

Wiredinthepast

#7 Post by Wiredinthepast »

Oh yes, I'm getting a second opinion for sure but some orthos around here seem to think it's ok if my clear retainer doesn't touch my fixed one which isn't good news in my opinion because if something happens to the bonded one , I have no plan B & may not have immediate access to an orthodontist.