New here, 28 exploring second round of treatment

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PrivatelyE5

New here, 28 exploring second round of treatment

#1 Post by PrivatelyE5 »

Hey folks kind of did this out of order. Went looking for advice before introducing myself. I'm 28, I had braces as a young adult, on the way out of highschool. Things seemed to be fine until a few years ago when I noticed that it was uncomfortable to chew using the left side of my mouth. This has gotten to the point where I can hardly bite down on that side now. I took the plunge and talked to by dentist who suggested I speak to an orthodontist, I did last week and I was encouraged to explore surgery or not bother at all, so I'm looking for a second opinion now and will be seeing a different practice in about a week. I thought I'd be in and out with a solution in hand but it looks like this is going to be way more involved than I first thought.

Saskia77

Re: New here, 28 exploring second round of treatment

#2 Post by Saskia77 »

Hi there,

In that case it might be better to get a 2nd opinion. I just got my bonded hyrax expander in today. I'm having a posterior crossbite and a narrow upper arch causing painful crowding in mainly the front teeth and I'm 41. This is my 2nd time in braces. The 1st time was when I was 11 for correcting my big overjet. That worked out fine but my upper jaw is just too narrow causing problems now. I also visited two different orthodontics because I didn't want any teeth to be extracted. The hyrax itself is not that bad it's just getting used to swallowing and speaking. I think this will be better in a week or so. Hang on there make a good discussion and know that it will all be worth it in time!

PrivatelyE5

#3 Post by PrivatelyE5 »

Monday is the day, I'm hoping I get a more helpful and nuanced set of options. I just felt that surgery or don't bother wasn't terribly helpful or realistic.

SinkFullOfDinner

#4 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Smart to get a 2nd opinion, but don't feel pressured to make a decision right after that. If the feedback is slightly different, don't hold back getting a tiebreaker assessment. I received four consultations and ultimately went with the fourth. I assumed I would get two opinions, but I learned something important with each one and became better informed each time. It allowed me to ask a few follow up questions of the first orthos and helped me understand options that weren't discussed early. I found it important to hear not only the comments that were different, but also the ones that were consistent across each consultation.

Good luck on Monday, and with whatever decision you make! The approach you're taking makes it likely that you'll make a great decision for yourself!

PrivatelyE5

#5 Post by PrivatelyE5 »

What did you ultimately settle on and what was proposed at each consult? Why did you pick what you did? I should I add that I had a consult about 15 months ago but opted not to go ahead for financial reasons, now things are better, I have better insurance coverage and I'm ready to pull the trigger. The one I had just over a year ago suggested things could be greatly improved with just braces, which is also why I was so taken aback by the proposal of surgery or don't bother.

SinkFullOfDinner

#6 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Happy to provide whatever details you need. I'll PM you rather than bomb your thread.

Oops...looks like you need a couple more posts for your username to go green and allow PMs. You should be close. PM me when it goes green.

PrivatelyE5

#7 Post by PrivatelyE5 »

For sure, navigating this as the one holding the wallet has made me a little gun-shy I really want to get things right this time around because clearly it wasn't the first time.