Braces at 55

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vthib

Braces at 55

#1 Post by vthib »

Hi, I'm Vicki, almost 56 years old. My teeth were pretty okay most of my life; just a little crowding with the lower central incisors. The last few years my teeth have become crowded and spaced and rotated. I really don't know why. So here I am. I got my traditional metal brackets on last week. I'm in a good bit of pain; can't bite my teeth together or use dental floss without really feeling it. I'm not a crybaby, either. I have some chronic health issues that include daily pain. This is my third day, so I'm hoping things will settle down very soon.

I'm told I'll need about a year in braces. Four days ago, that seemed like a breeze; today, it seems like eternal torture. I have made things a bit better by pushing the ends of my archwire closer to my teeth. My mouth was getting chewed up and I worried I was going to get wax poisoning before I figured it out! :lol:
I look forward to learning from the ones who have done this before.

Jethro

Re: Braces at 55

#2 Post by Jethro »

Hey vthib,

Welcome and congrats on starting treatment. I think most would agree that the initial 1 - 2 weeks are the most difficult of the entire process. After that, everything seems to settle down and become more or less routine. Some sensitivity after an adjustment is to be expected, but typically nothing like the initial stages.

All the Best,

Jethro

vthib

#3 Post by vthib »

Thanks, Jethro. I'm getting a little more comfortable- I have some individual teeth that still feel bruised and sensitive, but it's not my whole mouth screaming anymore. So that's a big improvement. Over the weekend I started trying to eat some semisoft foods. It's too soon. Also, chicken is disgusting to clean up. Ew. I started hitting my upper canine on a lower bracket, and now have bite turbos on my upper first molars. I have an ulcer between the first and second lower right molars, unrelated to braces. I have Crohn's disease and mouth sores are normal for me, but with my mouth pain, it's insult to injury.

I'm getting better at putting wax on the brackets, now needing it on the posts of both upper canines. I woke up the other day with my lip impaled on the posts; now my lip wants to slide back on them if the wax isn't in place. My niece, who is 17 and in braces, told me the importance of keeping my mouth clean, and that even if I drink coffee, I should brush after, and all the pain and embarrassment will be worth it when I have a winning smile at the end of treatment. She's the cutest!

vthib

#4 Post by vthib »

Thanks, Jethro. I'm getting a little more comfortable- I have some individual teeth that still feel bruised and sensitive, but it's not my whole mouth screaming anymore. So that's a big improvement. Over the weekend I started trying to eat some semisoft foods. It's too soon. Also, chicken is disgusting to clean up. Ew. I started hitting my upper canine on a lower bracket, and now have bite turbos on my upper first molars. I have an ulcer between the first and second lower right molars, unrelated to braces. I have Crohn's disease and mouth sores are normal for me, but with my mouth pain, it's insult to injury.

I'm getting better at putting wax on the brackets, now needing it on the posts of both upper canines. I woke up the other day with my lip impaled on the posts; now my lip wants to slide back on them if the wax isn't in place. My niece, who is 17 and in braces, told me the importance of keeping my mouth clean, and that even if I drink coffee, I should brush after, and all the pain and embarrassment will be worth it when I have a winning smile at the end of treatment. She's the cutest!

vthib

#5 Post by vthib »

It's the end of my second full week. I still have several very sensitive teeth, but it seems to change from one tooth to another. My jaw feels fatigued. I think I'm clenching my jaw on the turbos when I sleep. I've been wax free for a few days. There are still a few sore spots inside my cheeks, but it's not too bad. am learning the importance of cutting my food into bite-sized pieces rather than trying to bite into things. I find myself forgetting to be embarrassed when I talk to someone at the store, which is good. The first week I felt weird; now I figure everyone has seen it before and they don't care. I keep a care kit with a toothbrush right beside my chair. If I sit down after I eat, and have to get up to brush, I procrastinate. If it's right there, I go ahead and brush, then clean my toothbrush and replace it in the kit.

The first week, I could get the proxybrush between almost all of my teeth and between the wires and brackets. This week, I can get the super skinny ones between some teeth, and most of my brackets and wires, but the top teeth are too tight for anything besides the water flosser. My lower incisor, which has been pushed behind the row of teeth, is really coming forward. Sadly, the tooth beside it is even more sideways as there is just not room for a whole extra tooth at this time. I assume it will all be sorted eventually.

When my teeth feel very achy, I have been chewing sugar free gum for a little while. I'm not a gum chewer by nature, but it seems to ease the pressure even though it hurts to begin with. We shall see if it is worth the discomfort.