Braces Newb at 28

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lildropofsunshine

Braces Newb at 28

#1 Post by lildropofsunshine »

Hello! I'm a complete newb when it comes to braces --

I'm 28 and I have never had them before, but am hoping to be getting them soon!

While my teeth are generally pretty straight, I have some gaps that I want fixed, a little crowding on the bottom, and my bite is off. I've been told by each orthodontist I saw for a consult that I'll need rubber bands to fix that.

I'm going to get my last treatment plan tomorrow, and from there I'll decide who I'm going with for treatment, even though I'm about 98% sure that I'll be going with the provider I'm seeing tomorrow, I need to know his plan before I can be completely certain.

Speck

Re: Braces Newb at 28

#2 Post by Speck »

Bravo on making the decision to get your teeth sorted! :)
-Andy

lildropofsunshine

#3 Post by lildropofsunshine »

I'm half excited and half not lol. At first I was pretty set on Invisalign, but then I realized how much maintenance it is simply to eat a gosh darn snack! (I love snacking and eating throughout the day). So that leaves brackets and wires...and while I'm going to get clear brackets, I know that they're still fairly visible, and I'm already feeling self conscious. At the same time though, I'm already self conscious with my teeth the way they are, so what difference does it make?

Speck

#4 Post by Speck »

Funny, had Invisalign not been an option, I wouldn't have started orthodontic treatment in the first place. After hassling with Invisalign for six months I had become sick and tired of it and changed to traditional metal brackets; they're ugly, bulky, and a food-trap, but easier than plastic aligner-trays.

Spacers are a unique experience. :lol:
-Andy

lildropofsunshine

#5 Post by lildropofsunshine »

Were clear/ceramic braces not an option for you? Or did you just not want them? I know some people choose metal.

Speck

#6 Post by Speck »

They were an option. But, they cost more, they're bulkier, and treatment time is longer.
-Andy

lildropofsunshine

#7 Post by lildropofsunshine »

Interesting. Both of the orthos I was considering in the end charge the same for braces whether they're traditional metal or clear ones. And they say the only difference is how they look. I know there are many different "brands", if you will...

Speck

#8 Post by Speck »

-Andy

lildropofsunshine

#9 Post by lildropofsunshine »

Thanks...but that's just one article out of the hundreds I'm sure there are, and the views are very conflicting - there is no consistent answer, even with the orthodontists I've spoken with.

Either way, I just know I want my tops and bottoms to match because I always have everything match. My OCD doesn't allow otherwise.
Last edited by lildropofsunshine on Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speck

#10 Post by Speck »

Best of luck to you.
-Andy

lildropofsunshine

#11 Post by lildropofsunshine »

Thanks. I still have a month and a half until my brace date, so I have lots of time!