First time - braces at 32

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

quickredfox

Re: First time - braces at 32

#16 Post by quickredfox »

One more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19

quickredfox

#17 Post by quickredfox »

I haven't posted in a while, time for some catch-up!

These pictures were from April this year, this time with tooth-coloured ligs, which I find slightly less prone to discoloration than the clear ones.
By this time, I'd sort of decided I was just going to get the top row fixed, and not bother with my bite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19

quickredfox

#18 Post by quickredfox »

(April 2019 - pt2)

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19

quickredfox

#19 Post by quickredfox »

So... By August the twisted premolar was almost straightened out, with the help of a powerchain and a bracket on the inside of the tooth. My upper arch also looked good, more aligned, although much wider. I guess some artificial overbite was created to straighten the upper row out.

By then it was starting to bother me a bit, aesthetically as well as the fact that my bite seemed to feel worse. I'd also been reading about single arch treatment, how it's rarely a good option unless the bite is already good, and about how your bite generally worsens when you get older.

I decided - a bit late but oh well - that I wanted to get my bite and bottom teeth fixed as well. I went from "please make it as invisible and as fast as possible" to "f*k it, if I'm going to look like this and spend all this money I might as well get everything done now than regret it later". I even feel stupid about not choosing all-metal braces, as those would have saved me a lot of headache about foods and drinks to avoid.

Anyway, here's the situation end of August, with spacers fitted in the bottom row. On the top there's a gap that resulted from pulling on the premolar, I'm sure it'll disappear soon enough. I'd just had a teeth cleaning but I can't say it's very visible, what with those yellowy ligs (clear again this time). I feel like the brackets themselves are a bit too dark as well. :(

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19

quickredfox

#20 Post by quickredfox »

(End of August, pt2)

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19

quickredfox

#21 Post by quickredfox »

(End of August pt3)

I've added a picture of my closed mouth, as I'm a bit worried the shape of my face might change. More on that later...

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19

quickredfox

#22 Post by quickredfox »

Damn these pictures are large :) Would be nice if they could be scaled more on here, and if more than three could be posted at the same time... Or am I missing something?

Anyway, these pictures were taken yesterday, after the placement of my bottom row braces (rhodium coated metal, supposedly slighly less conspicuous).
The wire in the top row was finally replaced by a thicker, more square one one, as the power chain was removed (the bracket on the inside is still on there, with elastic contraption).
I got bite turbos as well, which I was mentally prepared for (including reading all the laments on this forum), but man does it suck. I still have no idea how to eat. Are you supposed to not use the molars to eat so that they emerge faster? For now i've stocked up on protein drinks, yoghurt and ice cream. I managed to eat salmon yesterday, but anything not finely chopped and smooshable against the roof of my mouth is pure misery.

As I said I'm a bit worried about the way my face will look after the treatment is done. With these bite turbos in I have a very elongated face and prominent chin, I really hope that's not what the end result will be like. I should really ask my ortho again, she's so stingy with details and I have this need to know what the process/timeline is going te be like :)

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19

quickredfox

#23 Post by quickredfox »

(Sept 3rd, pt2)

As you can see, two bits of ceramic have come off, and it's my own fault. Tried to replace the ligs at home, which worked great the first 4 times, but failed the 5th. Not touching those things anymore now...

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19

quickredfox

#24 Post by quickredfox »

Update December 1st
=almost a year in (top) braces!

Now the whole top is in powerchains. The ottom looks a bit more straight, but also discoloured because of the amount of glue the assistent put on there...
Still frustrated with bite turbos, I'll have to endure them a few more months.

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19

quickredfox

#25 Post by quickredfox »

(Dec 1st - pt2)

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19

Carno

#26 Post by Carno »

Looks like good progress! Glad you went for it! And it could be worse, I'm just getting started and I'm a few years older than you haha. You'll be sooo excited when you're all done!

nachoesq86

#27 Post by nachoesq86 »

I think you should switch the ceramics to full metal, its way better.

Carno

#28 Post by Carno »

nachoesq86 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:44 am I think you should switch the ceramics to full metal, its way better.
Just curious, why are metal brackets better than ceramic brackets?

wampler

#29 Post by wampler »

How are you living with them, is it hard to get used to it in your 30's? I'm still considering having braces but couldn't decide yet.