First time - braces at 32

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

quickredfox

First time - braces at 32

#1 Post by quickredfox »

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking on these boards for a while now, time to make an introduction. :) So far it's been reassuring to read the Archwired community's feedback about the braces worries and fears I have.

I also want to keep a record/diary of my braces journey, so this seems like the perfect place. Will try to update after every appointment.

Some background: 32 yo woman from Belgium. Never had braces, although I should have. Had an anterior deep bite since childhood + a top incisor that's wandered off in the last 10ish years. Also my top left premolar is rotated. My bottom teeth are relatively okay, though they are not in line horizontally (see pics).

I'd gone to the orthodontist about 2 years ago to see what could be done, but at that time the cost, discomfort and looking-like-a-dork-for-2-years factor didn't seem worth it. (Which I terribly regret; I could have had perfectly fixed teeth by now!) A few months ago I suddenly had a wisdom tooth surface, which completely pushed my teeth (especially the incisor) askew. I decided I wanted to get everything fixed once and for all.

Got an appointment to get the wisdom teeth removed + a treatment plan with two options basically, depending on whether I just want to straighten out the top row or fix the bottom and bite as well. I was leaning towards just the top, aka getting it over with as fast as possible, but I think I might just get everything done while I'm at it. All in all, the extra cost and time are relatively small. (Not looking forward to the unslightly elastics, but oh well :/) It would also mean I can get two wires put behind my teeth instead of having to wear a retainer at night. Fixing just the top would mean I'd probably bite down on the wire and break it.

After the wisdom teeth were extracted I had two weeks to recover before my ortho put spacers between my molars. That was last week, and my teeth have never been so sore.
Had a week of 'last suppers' (ribs, curry, crunchy bread,...) to say goodbye to all the food I'd probably have to miss for 2+ years :)

And so TODAY I got my braces! Ceramic ones with clear/opalescent rubber bands. (I wanted the Damon clear ones, but it seemed the classic kind would work better and faster for the purpose)
Feels really weird to have all this junk in my mouth, but so far (touch wood) it doesn't hurt as much as having the spacers in. The screws on the inside of my molars keep rubbing my tongue, which is very annoying. Will call the ortho tomorrow to see if something can be done about that.

I can talk pretty much normally but eating is horrible. I feel like a complete idiot. Also, as long as the wire isn't straight I think my teeth look way worse than before. Being single sure doesn't help :heart:
I know it's day 1, so I'm looking ahead and trying to focus on the result.

I will post some pictures as soon as possible!

Vega

Re: First time - braces at 32

#2 Post by Vega »

Proficiat met de blokjes! :wink:
Het valt best mee hoor, ik was 33 toen ik er aan begon en mijn vriend vond ze best leuk staan.
Vraag je ortho om wat wax, of spring even binnen in het kruidvat (apotheek ook). Ik heb het zelf nooit gebruikt omdat ik zo snel mogelijk wilde wennen aan de blokjes. Na de eerste week heb ik geen last meer gehad.
Die 2 jaar vliegen voorbij, ik ben er nu sinds een weekje vanaf en heel tevreden van het resultaat. Ik heb hier ook mijn hele traject met operaties neergeschreven.

quickredfox

#3 Post by quickredfox »

Bedankt! :)

Voorlopig gebruik ik wax op de schroefjes aan mijn kiezen, verder eigenlijk totaal geen last. Ook niet bij het slapen, dus da's alvast positief.
Vandaag voel ik een beetje druk op m'n voortanden, maar valt echt goed mee. Vanavond wel een mondeling examen, beetje nerveus...

Ik heb jouw verhaal al zitten lezen, geeft zeker hoop! En ik mag eigenlijk niet klagen, want die operaties, da's pas hardcore :)

Speck

#4 Post by Speck »

[wiseguy]
Γεια σας, και ό, τι καλύτερο για σας για τη θεραπεία σας!

Και εγώ διαπιστώνω ότι οι αγκύλες, κλπ., Απαιτούν μια μικρή διανοητική προσαρμογή λόγω ξένων ουσιών στο στόμα και επίσης αποτελούν μια παγίδα τροφίμων, καθιστώντας δύσκολη την κατανάλωση. Είμαι έξι ημέρες σε αυτό και τελικά αισθάνομαι εντάξει για όλα αυτά. Οι ανώτερες αγκύλες συνεχίζονται την επόμενη εβδομάδα, έτσι ώστε να ρίξει ένα κλειδί στις εργασίες. :)
[/wiseguy]
-Andy

Vega

#5 Post by Vega »

Sorry for the Dutch/flemish,.. just nice to meet someone from my country here and being able to type without too much thinking :)
Will continue in English :wink:

Speck

#6 Post by Speck »

No offense taken here, just showing off my goof-ball sense of humor. :)

I had been curious about the posts, though, and used google translate.

I was riding the train from Roermond to Schiphol once and asked the conductor if he spoke english and he said: "Sometimes". :lol:

Anyway, carry on as you please! 8)
-Andy

quickredfox

#7 Post by quickredfox »

[quote=Speck post_id=506064 time=1544579587 user_id=32114]I was riding the train from Roermond to Schiphol once and asked the conductor if he spoke english and he said: "Sometimes". :lol: [/quote]

Hahaha, nice one

Anyway, will continue in English, no trouble at all.

So today is Day 6. Still can't bite into anything with my front teeth (tried a banana: nope), but at least they don't hurt. Other than some sensitivity on Day 3 and the screws ripping open my tongue, this has been fine.

(https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RightWhirlwin ... -small.gif)

I have to say the biggest problems for me are my looks and missing food. :)

I'm sort of regretting getting ceramic braces, as you can see there is 'something' in my mouth, but from a distance it just looks like I have weird/rotting teeth :/ It could be in my head, but it seems to me like the brackets (not the ligatures) and my teeth just seem more yellow than they used to... Should probably give up coffee.

Also, I'm losing so much time. I timed my night time brushing routine, takes me about 20 mins to get everything done. I mean brushing + using the interprox brushes + flossing (don't do this every night) + fluoride mouthwash. And this is just with the top row in braces.

During the day I brush after breakfast + use the SPAMTRONIC SPAMSONIC SPAMONAIDE SPAMSTER SPAM SPAMINATOR water flosser (that stuff is messy) + mouthwash, and if possible as well after lunch. Plan to take the water flosser with me when I'm not at home, but so far I've been avoiding eating out and just taking protein drinks with me as snacks.

At least there's an upside: losing some weight :)

Plan on going out tonight and sleeping over at a date's place (he hasn't seen the braces irl!), not looking forward to the whole brushing routine...

Whino signing off ^^

quickredfox

#8 Post by quickredfox »

Wow, I guess mentioning brand names is a no go

Speck

#9 Post by Speck »

Haha, funny GIF!

I tend to agree that braces look kinda yucky and they're a food-trap. So far, I haven't made any dietary changes but eating takes a bit longer. For me, making the change from Invisalign to braces has resulted in a less-complicated day-to-day management condition and a corresponding reduction in oral hygiene time-sink, so that has been great! And yep, roughly twenty minutes at the end of each day is spent brushing, flossing, etc.

I don't think you're whining and I hope the date went well. :)
-Andy

quickredfox

#10 Post by quickredfox »

Speck wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:10 pm Haha, funny GIF!

I tend to agree that braces look kinda yucky and they're a food-trap. So far, I haven't made any dietary changes but eating takes a bit longer. For me, making the change from Invisalign to braces has resulted in a less-complicated day-to-day management condition and a corresponding reduction in oral hygiene time-sink, so that has been great! And yep, roughly twenty minutes at the end of each day is spent brushing, flossing, etc.

I don't think you're whining and I hope the date went well. :)
It went well! He said I can pull 'em off :)

Really, that much more work with Invisalign? I would have gone with that if it were possible, but oh well.

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19

quickredfox

#11 Post by quickredfox »

Picture time!

04/12 - The Before (with spacers)
_1170228.JPG
_1170218.JPG
_1170213.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19

quickredfox

#12 Post by quickredfox »

10/12 - "B Day"
_1170234.JPG
_1170236.JPG
_1170235.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19

jem

#13 Post by jem »

They look fine. Are you getting brackets on your bottom jaw too?

Good luck with your treatment!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

quickredfox

#14 Post by quickredfox »

Hey Jem, thanks!

I'm still debating, but leaning towards getting braces on the bottom as well. It would take longer and involve elastics, but at least then my teeth will be completely fixed and I won't have to wear a retainer at night.

I'm going to ask the ortho for more info soon...

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19

quickredfox

#15 Post by quickredfox »

Ortho appointment today to get the second spacer placed.

Also got the ligatures switched out as they had been looking yellow for two weeks, not a pretty sight. I've stayed away from curry and red wine, but I can't say no to coffee (or a few cigarettes when I go out :| ) Also when I tried lipstick on two occasions, it got all over my braces, even with the "finger" trick and using matte lipstick.

I wanted to try the silver/grey bands, even though the ortho was sceptical. I think it doesn't look bad, might stick to this colour as long as they don't discolour too badly. :) I suppose I prefer people noticing I have braces to them thinking I have gross yellow teeth.

During the last week or so, I noticed my front tooth has moved some! I can now see a space in between, where there used to be overlap.
As a kid I had a gap between my front teeth, let's hope it doesn't get to that again :)

Also I never noticed how the upper row seems to slant as well, I can now see in the pictures that my left canine is lower than the other...

Next week Friday is my next appointment: fitting of the last molar band + my first adjustment.
Last edited by quickredfox on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19