Braces at 59

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lheilner59

Braces at 59

#1 Post by lheilner59 »

I am at two and a half weeks with braces on. Not all brackets on yet, still have 3 spacers. I think the brackets are the worst - they are rough around the edges and annoy my tongue. I think if I would have known how awful braces feel, I wouldn't have done it. Too late now though. I am 59 and have gotten braces to correct crowded teeth on top and fill a huge gap on the side from an extraction of a molar. Has anyone found themselves getting into a bad habit of clenching with braces?

EmilyTravels

Re: Braces at 59

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

lheilner59 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:30 am I am at two and a half weeks with braces on. Not all brackets on yet, still have 3 spacers. I think the brackets are the worst - they are rough around the edges and annoy my tongue. I think if I would have known how awful braces feel, I wouldn't have done it. Too late now though. I am 59 and have gotten braces to correct crowded teeth on top and fill a huge gap on the side from an extraction of a molar. Has anyone found themselves getting into a bad habit of clenching with braces?
Yes. I have a new clenching habit, and I hate it. I am really hoping that when the braces come off and I am in retainers, it will stop. If not, I will have to do something to take care of it; I've even considered hypnosis.

I do think you'll adjust to your braces over time. I got braces at 56, and now they are just a part of my life. My teeth and bite have improved so much; they were totally worth it to me. Hang in there -- it will get easier! As for the clenching, though, I don't know. It is the one really disconcerting part of this journey for me. :(

lheilner59

#3 Post by lheilner59 »

Thanks for your response. Glad to know I'm not alone!

Aler58

#4 Post by Aler58 »

I got my braces on at age 59! Mine were put on in March and I also went through the phase of "what the heck am I doing?" I also find myself clenching my teeth pretty often, especially as my bite seems to keep changing. It gets better. I had my arch wire replaced for the first time a couple of weeks ago and my teeth were sore but not nearly as sore as with the first one.

liner

#5 Post by liner »

I was 51 when I started invisalign.
It is all worth it.

lheilner59

#6 Post by lheilner59 »

I wish I would have gone with Invisalign. I hate all this metal in my mouth. The bands are the worst. Why can't they be smooth. All these rough bumps!

Dubzoo

#7 Post by Dubzoo »

My tongue definitely likes to explore and play with my brackets. Thankfully haven't cut it on anything (knock on wood) though I've come close when messing with my lace-backs.

The clenching happens to me too!
Extractions: May 9, 2018 | Braces: Jun 7, 2018 | Next adjustment: December 13, 2018 | Projected treatment time: 30-36 months

My journey: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53635

Speck

#8 Post by Speck »

Invisalign at 56 years old. I thought elastics would be the worst part but having upper and lower plastic aligners in my mouth 20-22 hrs./day is even more sucky. Not sure what I expected. :lol:
-Andy

LisainTX

#9 Post by LisainTX »

Braces at 57 here! So happy to see all of you 50s here!! :)
I literally just got back from my FINAL adjustment. My braces come off the day before my next birthday in August and I am thrilled.

PLEASE hang in there. It is truly worth it and trust me - you will see major changes quickly. You situation sounds exactly like mine and I am so happy I did it. Even if most of the time I am the only adult in the orthodontist office! LOL

And honestly, the best thing you can do throughout your adventure is come HERE often and read, laugh, cry and vent! ArchWired has been so helpful to me throughout my journey. On the worst days, I recommend finding posts from "Sink Full of Dinner". OMG....the best.

The people here are awesome and the advice is helpful. If you haven't done it, look at the product reviews. Best thing I did was invest in a waterpick and an electronic toothbrush. You won't regret it. And get some of those things we refer to as "the little Christmas trees". I don't know where you live but I find they are most inexpensive at Walmart. Just look for their floss, etc. and you will find them.

Congratulations to you on getting your braces. Be proud and have fun with the colors! :) Sending big Texas hugs your way!!

Jami1

#10 Post by Jami1 »

Wow! Glad there are other over 50s!!! I am 54 and got mine last week. Ceramics on top only until bite opens then I will have ceramic on bottom too. I am questioning what I have gotten myself into! I am neurotic about dental hygiene.... even prior to braces as I have always gotten stuff stuck in those crooked teeth! Needless to say, I refuse to eat lunch with my customers( I am in sales) for fear of green things hanging in my braces😝I must be clenching because my jaws are tired and sore as well as my inner lip having a lovely hole from the canine bracket! I am currently self medicating with a beer to relieve the discomfort!!

John427

#11 Post by John427 »

Hello all, I too am in my 50s and just have had Damon braces put on 6 days ago. I have worn braces in my 20s but I think my old orthodontist did not do a good job. So here I am again in braces. I must say I like the braces I am wearing I have had no real discomfort yet.. I know just wait right? But really it has been a fairly pleasant experience so far. I too am also glad to know that others in my age group are wearing or starting orthodontic treatment. I thought I was the only one. After reading other post I feel better about my decision. Hope to hear from the 50s group. :)

leloisa

#12 Post by leloisa »

Clenching... gah, I do it all the time! Especially at night. :(