Braces at 34

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

twedledee

Braces at 34

#1 Post by twedledee »

Hi everyone,
I'm a 34 years old woman, and I'm starting my braces journey (2 years) on Saturday.
I've never get braces when I was younger, when I was 15 I started the process but I hated my dentist to be frank and so I gave up too easily. Growing up it became more and more difficult, I've always found an excuse to avoid the problem.
I actually never smile with teeth, I totally hate them and I'm used to smile with my mouth closed and covering with my hand.
Now I'm tired of that, even if I'm not receiving much support from my family. I feel like they think that at my age is kind of pointless and too much uncomfortable.
On Saturday my ortho is going to apply something called "molar rotator", looking at the photos it seems to be like a TPA (this forum is teaching me a lot!). To be honest I'm quite scared, I've read a lot of negative and painful experience and I'm particularly worried about the speech, I have to talk with people at work and it can be very akward.
Good luck to me!

ps: be patient with my English :)

EmilyTravels

Re: Braces at 34

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

Welcome to the forum! It is never too late. I got my braces at 56. Had them in my early teens but wasn't good about wearing retainers. I am 57 now and will get them off in late summer or early fall. You are never too old to improve your life, so congratulations on taking this step. You will not regret it! :D

twedledee

#3 Post by twedledee »

Thank you! This forum is giving me lots of information and also supoort :)
Good for you! Summer is around the corner :jump:

twedledee

#4 Post by twedledee »

After a rough start (my mouth totally rejected the molar rotator, It was honestly the worse disconfort in my life), I'm gonna get ceramic upper braces on June 23. I really wish that this time things will be better, I really need to feel positive about this long braces journey :?

KatewiththeGoodTeeth

#5 Post by KatewiththeGoodTeeth »

38 here! I’m glad I found this forum! :D

kojo

#6 Post by kojo »

good luck twed, dont be afraind my case was worse. I was to scaried because my doctor recommended 4 extraction of bicuspid.

twedledee

#7 Post by twedledee »

Hi everyone, so the today is the day, my top clear braces are on! Just 6-7 hours have passed, so far so good.
The process was not painful at all and it has lasted about an hour.
I'm not in pain, I just have a slight headache and I feel mi incisors tender, bus it's just a mild discomfort. The brackets are bulky as everyone says, but my upper lip naturally covers almost my entire top arch so for now that's not bothering me too much. I have eaten soft cheese and apple sauce at lunch, tonight I'm gonna try to eat some fish and see how it goes.
Finger crossed that the next days are not going be too bad and that I can manage going to work on Monday calm-ish and hoping that my colleagues won't be too mean to me (an office can be quite like high school over and over again).

Thanks for your support, good luck to all my fellows newly braced faces :-1

EmilyTravels

#8 Post by EmilyTravels »

You will be sorer tomorrow and the next day than day 1, but gradually things will get much better. It truly does get easier. Pretty soon braces just become a part of life, and you don't notice them nearly as much except for a couple of days after an adjustment -- or if you get elastics, which do cause some soreness for a bit. Even with elastics, the tenderness diminishes after a few days.

Good luck!

twedledee

#9 Post by twedledee »

[quote=EmilyTravels post_id=502909 time=1529801413 user_id=30228]
You will be sorer tomorrow and the next day than day 1, but gradually things will get much better. It truly does get easier. Pretty soon braces just become a part of life, and you don't notice them nearly as much except for a couple of days after an adjustment -- or if you get elastics, which do cause some soreness for a bit. Even with elastics, the tenderness diminishes after a few days.

Good luck!
[/quote]

Thank you so much EmilyTravels, today I was feeling a bit down because at work I have felt so self conscious of my braces that I have almost never smiled and talked as less as possibile. But your message make me feel better :jump: