Do orthodontists ever use novacaine?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmilyTravels

Do orthodontists ever use novacaine?

#1 Post by EmilyTravels »

I'm asking this because I should be getting my braces off sometime this summer :D, and I am already nervous about the pain. I've read on this board and others that it can be quite uncomfortable/painful, especially when they use the electronic instrument to file off the glue remaining on your teeth after your brackets are removed.

I realize that they will not numb up an entire mouth, but I am in braces as a result of fracturing my jaw last year in a bicycle accident, and my lower left arch teeth are very sensitive, as that is where one of the fractures were. I was wondering if I might ask my ortho for novacaine just in that one quadrant when getting my braces off. It hurts bad when the tech has to open the gates of the self-ligating brackets on those particular teeth. I always self-medicate with 800 mg of ibuprofen before appointments, but it really doesn't help much.

Appreciate any insight!

Jethro

Re: Do orthodontists ever use novacaine?

#2 Post by Jethro »

Woohoo to getting your braces off this summer! As for the novacaine, I'm not aware that orthos will administer it for braces removal, but you could certainly ask. Having been debonded twice before, I can say that removal is uncomfortable, but not painful. I would continue with the ibuprofen. From my perspective, I think the novacaine shots would be more painful than the removal process. Hope that helps.

All the best.

Jethro