45, Getting braced on May 29!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

StaceyJeannette

45, Getting braced on May 29!

#1 Post by StaceyJeannette »

Hi!

I had braces when I was a teenager, lost 2 sets of retainers and never went to get another set. Fast forward 30 years- now I have 3 missing teeth, a jaw that clicks and pops, bruxism and dry gums from sleeping with my mouth open when I'm not grinding/clenching. My goal is to have my missing teeth replaced with implants, so needed to have everything in place for that. Hopefully having my teeth in order and the missing ones replaced will help with the other issues, but if not at least I'll be able to chew my food better! My orthodontist wants me to go to an oral surgeon for a consult about jaw surgery, but I am scared of surgeries so will see how much can be fixed with the braces.

Two of my sons just had their braces removed and I keep warning them to take care of their perfect teeth, they do not want to have all my problems when they are my age!

bimax101

Re: 45, Getting braced on May 29!

#2 Post by bimax101 »

Hi Stacey,

Another option for post braces is to have a permanent retainer consisting of a metal wire attached the back of the teeth. It may be a option to consider this time around.

StaceyJeannette

#3 Post by StaceyJeannette »

I actually had the permanent retainer on my lower teeth the first time around, but I was stupid and had it removed about 15 years ago. :roll: It is definitely something I'll ask my ortho about. Not sure how it would work with getting implants? The ortho told me they can make me a retainer to hold the spaces open until the implants are finished, so I guess it all depends on when the implants are done.

Thanks for your reply!

Mrcf

#4 Post by Mrcf »

Never to old for braces my dentists told me.
I was 40 as I sat first in an ortho chair. But it took me a lot of years to made the decision. It’s my firs time in braces and hopefully after getting my uppers it will run as more or less without problems as I started 3 weeks ago.
From this point I do not know what hold me back all these years...
2018.04.25. Extraction of lower incisor
2018.05.07. Lower ceramic braces

Mrcf

#5 Post by Mrcf »

....and all the best for your brace day!

StaceyJeannette

#6 Post by StaceyJeannette »

Thank you!

Mrcf

#7 Post by Mrcf »

StaceyJeannette wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:44 am Thank you!
....and? How was your :HugeGrin: appointment?

StaceyJeannette

#8 Post by StaceyJeannette »

It actually wasn’t too bad having the braces put on. Other than the thing they use to hold the lips open while glueing the brackets on.
I don’t have brackets on 3 of my back molars yet, they will be put on in 6 weeks. I’m not having too much pain, mainly just irritation of the inside of my mouth.
I think the most painful part of getting braced was making the down payment. :cry: