Braces to prepare for oral surgery

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CaliCo

Braces to prepare for oral surgery

#1 Post by CaliCo »

As long as I can remember, everyone including my dentists have been commenting on how lucky I am that my teeth came in straight without gaps. Imagine my surprise when at 40 I was told that although my teeth were straight my jaw was crooked, which is creating stress on my upper teeth on the right side of my mouth.

So here I am in braces (its been 6 months) and things have been moving very fast as I prepare to have surgery in 6 more months. I must admit that I have not been handling this gracefully. I am claustrophobic and all this hardware in my mouth exacerbates that.

Eating is such a chore. I kept reading that after a while I'd be eating all the things I used to eat except maybe after adjustments, but the truth is I want to eat...in fact, I like to eat, but every time I start to eat its such a mess (food gets caught everywhere) and is so uncomfortable (no just tooth pain but teeth don't line up so grinding teeth sounds, biting cheeks and tongue) that I end up swallowing after barely chewing or eating things that aren't healthy for me (i.e. ice cream).

I have ceramic braces top and bottom, a palate expander with a hook attaching a 6mm rubber band to the bottom and TAD on top to correct the angle of my upper mandible with power chains top and bottom.

Anyone else having as hard a time eating as I am? Any suggestions or advice? The plan is for 6 more months then surgery followed by 6 more months.

oyinz

Re: Braces to prepare for oral surgery

#2 Post by oyinz »

Hi there!

just started my braces journey yesterday! I empathize with you regarding not being able to eat. I feel like I haven't had a decent meal in over 2 weeks now. I had to get 8 teeth extracted about 2 weeks ago before braces in preparation for oral surgery in 12months time. I'm envious that you're already 6 months into your treatment! I've only just begun and I want them off already haha. I recommend having peanut butter& banana smoothies very nutritious and delicious :) Also mashed potato is amazing try having with a smooth tomato based sauce and finely grated Parmesan cheese. My bite is really off at the moment and I can't really chew so those are my go to foods. Hang in there 6 months isn't far away and you'll have the perfect bite. How exciting!!