Hello everyone

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LittleTooth

Hello everyone

#1 Post by LittleTooth »

I'm new to fixed braces (had expanders before) and they are not as bad as I imagined! I have them for a little over a month now and I'm already used to them. The pain on the first day was excruciating. Fortunately, it only lasted 24hrs and I had strong pain medication available and 1 tablet of this did the trick and didn't experience intense pain again. Regular tylenol didn't work in my case. I hope bi-monthly adjustments aren't that painful!

I have clear damon in the upper front and metal elsewhere; no extractions besides the wisdom teeth. I have to stick with them for another 23 months (+retainers 24/6 for 6months) but I have already started seeing results and I'm quite excited. I have moderate crowding in the lower jaw and severe in the upper. Upper midline is also off and have crossbite in 2-3 teeth. I always hated my high canines and never felt confident to smile. I don't have any pictures of myself smiling with teeth. To be frank, I never smile on photos. Every time I had to smile or laugh and I was sure that my high canines will show, I was covering my mouth with my hand. I was told that I'm distant and unapproachable and in my late teens/early twenties I was told that people are hesitating to approach me because I always look too serious.

I've had my braces for a bit over a month now and what I've noticed is that I smile a lot more. I feel more confident about my smile. I know that most people who get braces do the opposite and smile less, but somehow, I smile a lot more to the point I want to make up for all these years I wasn't smiling! I've already noticed progress as well, as my right canine has almost come down to where it's supposed to be! The wire almost looks straight. I'm so thrilled :BigGrin:

I have many questions about braces, but the one I want to know now is how long it will take for my teeth to look relatively aligned. I've heard from other people that usually teeth look relatively straight by 6 months and after this period only small movements occur. I was also told I will need elastics at 1yr. I didn't ask what they will correct. Does anyone know what they usually correct?

Aro

Re: Hello everyone

#2 Post by Aro »

Hello ^_^

I've had my braces on for about a month and a half now and I'm very excited for my progress so far. I know there's still a long way to go and more progress to be had (I have 18 months for mine), but I'm hoping the time will fly by.

As for the elastics, from what I have researched they are supposed to align/correct your bite. The best way to explain it is using tiny rubber bands you hook onto your brackets to pull front and back teeth together or top and bottom teeth together depending on the situation--this should also get your midline to line up.

Hope this helps!
Brackets Bonded: 3-15-18||Extractions: 3-16-18||Arch wires: 3-22-18||Adjustments: 5-16-18; 7-9-18; 9-5-18; 10-31-18; 12-5-18; 1-7-19; 2-18-19; 4-15-19; 6-10-19; 7-24-19; 9-18-19; 10-23-19; 12-5-19; 1-9-20; 2-20-20; 3-12-20||Braces Removed: 6-3-20

LittleTooth

Re: Hello everyone

#3 Post by LittleTooth »

Awesome, thanks! I was thinking that elastics were supposed to pull my canines down, but as they have already started descending, I was questioning the elastics.

Seeing my canines coming down and covering the gaps I had there for so many years make me thrilled! The feeling of having a tooth where there was a gap before is priceless!!!! :BigGrin: :BigGrin: :BigGrin: :BigGrin: