Started My Journey 2 Days Ago at 40

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MetalRod

Started My Journey 2 Days Ago at 40

#1 Post by MetalRod »

Hi everyone! Glad I stumbled onto this forum. I started my journey on Weds. after 39 years of putting it off because of me being too scared, to work getting in the way, to "I am already married, dont need them". Well I finally stopped with the excuses and decided to get my metal pieces. To give you an idea I have severe front crowding on my lower teeth and some crowding on my upper. I also have perio disease which has pretty much destroyed all my bone on my lower teeth. My Ortho thinks he can save some of those lower teeth but I have already decided to take them out an opt for implants. All in all we are looking at 2 years worth of treatment.

I started on Weds. nervous, not knowing what to expect but reading about all the painful stories on google. I ended up with just 6 brackets on my upper teeth to start and will be getting more at my first adjustment. For now the bottom will left as is until Prosto sees what the top will look like. The first 2 days there was tenderness and could only really eat anything made with liquid which is how I found this forum, the question I searched?

"Do you lose weight with Braces" :-*

Tenderness is still there but it's not too bad. I had the wire on my right side poking me all day, threw some Dental Wax and fixed that issues. Believe it or not I have noticed some movement, gaps that where there before have been getting smaller. Anyways, I have been reading through the forum and decided to register. Maybe one day I will muster up the courage to show before and afters!

MetalRod

Re: Started My Journey 2 Days Ago at 40

#2 Post by MetalRod »

Im on Day 4 now and I can see a difference already. Days 3 and 4 were full of tenderness, a tenderness I kind of enjoyed because I knew there was movement! Using Dental Wax more often to keep the inside of my mouth from ulcers. And yes there is weight loss lol....

MetalRod

#3 Post by MetalRod »

2 weeks in. I think can see some teeth straightening out, but really it is difficult to tell if there is any progress. My teeth are still a bit sore and still eating soft foods. Not a bad thing I guess since I am drinking a lot of shakes lol. I am hoping to post pictures after my first adjustment.

JPG1081

#4 Post by JPG1081 »

Congratulations for making that step!!! It IS hard but it really IS worth it!

There's lots of advice on this board and people seem to have gone through almost every situation. My teeth were very sore and I switched to soft toothbrushes and that made a big difference for me. Many people like electric ones but I couldn't face the pressure. I dreaded eating because I didn't want to brush my teeth. I also started using mouthwash. I used Listerine and hated it. I dreaded that even more!!! I tried on- alcohol and finally switched to a local brand made by a toothpaste company and it was much easier to deal with.

Be gentle with yourself. You'll gradually get used to it. Then they'll do an adjustment...

You should be really proud of yourself for doing this.

rubyteeth

#5 Post by rubyteeth »

Well I started mine 4 months ago at 45 ands i salute you for braving it!

Yes i do find it really really annoying. eating is a massive chore and yes i have lost weight. I have found though that it's more about WHAT you eat to substitute the things you can't. If you get hungry and still eat yogurts, ice cream, sweet things and soft junk then you won't see any difference! If you want to lose weight ( i didnt actually!) then the smaller portions, longer eating times, and less snacking really does show up where your eating habit lie!!

I truly hate this process right now- i'm going through a stage when it's got worse again, before it gets better but best of luck to you and I hope the forums help. See you on the other side!!
Rubyteeth

middleagedladywithbraces.com

Aler58

#6 Post by Aler58 »

Congratulations on your decision! I got my braces on one week after you did so we are in this journey together. Hope you are feeling better. I was sore for about 5 days. My orthodontist suggested chewing sugarless gum which surprised me but it did help.