My intro : Braces at 28

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HeavyMetalNZ

My intro : Braces at 28

#1 Post by HeavyMetalNZ »

Hi guys,

Had couple teeth extracted (one of which was a baby tooth) two weeks ago and just got my braces on last Friday so could say i'm still getting used to them. Still on that 'learning to talk phase'.

I thought I was quite a late bloomer getting them at 28 but surprisingly it seems that is when the majority of people on this forum get them! My Ortho says i'll have mine on for atleast 14 months.

Just had a 3d scan and dropped it off to the Orthodontist also, i had a couple of baby tooth removed and there is a large gap on the bottom incisors area now where the canine would usually go, this canine is impacted sitting horizontally on the bottom jaw - i hope to hear back soon with good news that it can be moved. She said if it can, it'll probably be a few months but she has to assess the feasibility of this a little more. Will also be getting a lower wisdom tooth extracted at some point in the future. Health insurance doesn't really cover this stuff in New Zealand so this will all end up costing a fair bit but i'm so glad to finally be getting all this sorted. I first wanted to do all this just over 10 years ago when I turned 18 and am now in a position financially to take care of myself :)

Not sure how to post pics but I'll put some up when i figure it out. I read to crop out the face pics but is it safe to post xrays online or should that be avoided due to possible identity theft (just being super paranoid as usual haha).

There are so many questions I have already and no doubt will have, but for now just reading around and settling in - pretty excited to finally start this journey!

Cheers,
HeavyMetalNZ

[edit] @admin sorry for the double post, posting my proper intro here as realized i posted my other one in the wrong area. please delete that, i couldn't seem to edit or delete it myself, link is : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=53324#top

Aro

Re: My intro : Braces at 28

#2 Post by Aro »

Hello ^_^

I'm getting braces placed tomorrow and extractions on Friday. I'm not quite 28 yet (I turn 28 at the end of this month), but it's close enough right?

Hope everything goes well for you. I'm projected to be 18 months. All my baby teeth fell out years ago, but I do have a few malformed teeth (premolars to be extracted) and some decent crowding. A little nervous, but just imagining the possible end result excites me.

On a side note, I also learned earlier today that someone I know very well (an older lady) had extractions for braces. She had the braces on when I met her 3 years ago, but I didn't know about that part until I talked with her on the phone earlier this afternoon. Her teeth look great now in her Facebook pictures ^_^
Brackets Bonded: 3-15-18||Extractions: 3-16-18||Arch wires: 3-22-18||Adjustments: 5-16-18; 7-9-18; 9-5-18; 10-31-18; 12-5-18; 1-7-19; 2-18-19; 4-15-19; 6-10-19; 7-24-19; 9-18-19; 10-23-19; 12-5-19; 1-9-20; 2-20-20; 3-12-20||Braces Removed: 6-3-20

HeavyMetalNZ

#3 Post by HeavyMetalNZ »

[quote=Aro post_id=500927 time=1521079224 user_id=31483]
Hello ^_^

I'm getting braces placed tomorrow and extractions on Friday. I'm not quite 28 yet (I turn 28 at the end of this month), but it's close enough right?

Hope everything goes well for you. I'm projected to be 18 months. All my baby teeth fell out years ago, but I do have a few malformed teeth (premolars to be extracted) and some decent crowding. A little nervous, but just imagining the possible end result excites me.

On a side note, I also learned earlier today that someone I know very well (an older lady) had extractions for braces. She had the braces on when I met her 3 years ago, but I didn't know about that part until I talked with her on the phone earlier this afternoon. Her teeth look great now in her Facebook pictures ^_^
[/quote]

wow that's awesome and thanks hope it goes well for you too :D a few work colleagues with amazing teeth/smiles (which i just assumed was always perfect) approached me and mentioned about braces / sharing their empathy about it all which i found kinda interesting, would never have guessed so many people had them. i was expecting the opposite which was lots of teasing haha.

Aro

#4 Post by Aro »

I work at an elementary school, so I'm expecting the kids to say something for sure :lol:

The girl who runs the after school program at the school where I work has braces too. I think she's had hers for some time now, though, so everyone's used to hers. I only told one of the teachers that I'm doing this because he caught me watching youtube videos (XD) but he's totally supportive of it. He told his wife, who is also a teacher at the same school, but for everyone else it's going to be a complete surprise. We went on spring break today, so they won't see anything until we go back on the 26th.
Brackets Bonded: 3-15-18||Extractions: 3-16-18||Arch wires: 3-22-18||Adjustments: 5-16-18; 7-9-18; 9-5-18; 10-31-18; 12-5-18; 1-7-19; 2-18-19; 4-15-19; 6-10-19; 7-24-19; 9-18-19; 10-23-19; 12-5-19; 1-9-20; 2-20-20; 3-12-20||Braces Removed: 6-3-20

EmmaJade

#5 Post by EmmaJade »

Hello I’m also 28 and starting treatment on Monday. I won’t be in braces straight away but will be getting an Alf appliance fitted first for a month or so before the braces go in. I had braces as a teenager so not looking forward to it. I’m also worried about what people are going to think, I work closely with the public who I’m sure are going to laugh at me when I am unable to speak. :(

HeavyMetalNZ

#6 Post by HeavyMetalNZ »

EmmaJade wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:17 am Hello I’m also 28 and starting treatment on Monday. I won’t be in braces straight away but will be getting an Alf appliance fitted first for a month or so before the braces go in. I had braces as a teenager so not looking forward to it. I’m also worried about what people are going to think, I work closely with the public who I’m sure are going to laugh at me when I am unable to speak. :(
awesome, welcome back to the journey i guess - though why do so many people who have had braces in past seem to need to get them again later? i was hoping this is a permanent solution haha.

i had that assumption that everybody would laugh but what i found is that people are so much more understanding these days, nothing like all the teasing i saw in high school. many people are even envious and strangely i'm getting a lot more attention from the ladies in the office lol. everyone who has noticed them and talk to me about them so far has known someone close to them that has gone through the process and passed on useful advice or been super empathetic.
Initial extractions 1st March 2018 | Braces installed 9th March 2018 | Wisdom extraction / impacted canine surgery : TBA

Aro

#7 Post by Aro »

It seems that it's more common for adults to get braces nowadays than it was maybe 10-20 years ago (or however long), and it also seems that more and more adults are actually getting braces for whatever reason (overall oral health, couldn't get them as kids, confidence issues, etc). Rather than getting bullied, they are commended for taking initiative to take care of themselves ^_^

I can't wait to see everyone's reaction when I go back to work on Monday. My teeth are already moving and I've only had my arch wires on for about 26 hours!

EmmaJade

#8 Post by EmmaJade »

So I had the Alf fitted yesterday afternoon before a night shift and oh my god....I’m in so much pain. I can’t eat anything that needs chewing at all. I’m hoping this is only temporary whilst my mouth is adjusting. The positive is that you can’t see anything is in my mouth from just looking at me even when I speak. Anyone else had any experience of the pain ?

HeavyMetalNZ

#9 Post by HeavyMetalNZ »

EmmaJade wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:42 am So I had the Alf fitted yesterday afternoon before a night shift and oh my god....I’m in so much pain. I can’t eat anything that needs chewing at all. I’m hoping this is only temporary whilst my mouth is adjusting. The positive is that you can’t see anything is in my mouth from just looking at me even when I speak. Anyone else had any experience of the pain ?
congrats :) i know my teeth were super sensitive (from instance where i mistakenly hit tooth with cup when going to drink and was in tonne of agony) but since i got bite stoppers which stop me from chewing, i haven't had to deal with the pain through eating as such. so far this sensitivity comes and goes. randomly last two nights i had a hard time sleeping due to this even though i thought i had gotten used to it all by now. guess it takes a bit longer than a couple weeks :|
Initial extractions 1st March 2018 | Braces installed 9th March 2018 | Wisdom extraction / impacted canine surgery : TBA

abro884

#10 Post by abro884 »

Hi Heavymetalnz!!

I too am in auckland nz!

May i ask who is doing your treatment?

HeavyMetalNZ

#11 Post by HeavyMetalNZ »

abro884 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:11 am Hi Heavymetalnz!!

I too am in auckland nz!

May i ask who is doing your treatment?
hey bro, getting mine done at westgate dental. amazing service, they really are looking after me here and the fees are decent too. i have such a strong gag reflex i think most normal docs would have given up on me but this one kept powering through and gave me plenty enough breaks while i was getting braces put on.

as an update, i've just had my first follow up appointment and had new wires put on, i knew there was lots of change but she showed me the original impressions and seeing myself in mirror comparing to that, the change is a lot better than what i expected out of just 1 month. unfortunately i still have the bite stoppers on so i'm still stuck on smoothie / mash potatoes / scrambled eggs diet for atleast another 4 weeks but seeing the progress will keep me going forward :)

David

#12 Post by David »

I'm also in Auckland .... with a long history which you can find here :tingrin: