First Timer at 28 (nearly 29!)

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

xoredxedx

First Timer at 28 (nearly 29!)

#1 Post by xoredxedx »

I've been lurking around here for a few months now (before I even visited the orthodontist back in November!) reading what others had to say about getting braces as an adult, particularly first timers. I am doing traditional metal braces.

So, I'm 28 now -- will be 29 in a few months. Never had braces before. Couldn't afford them at the time.

Anywho, my teeth have been crooked a long while. Aesthetically, most of the upper arch are straight (although according to the ortho, there is tilting and such so I'm sure there's much to be corrected that isn't immediately obvious to the general population) They are off center a tad and my upper... right... lateral incisor is pushed back. So, it looks like a tooth is missing. This is the most obvious and offending problem. The off-centeredness is also in that direction, so my assumption here is they've shifted that way over time due to the gap. It's gotten worse as the years go on; I remember one day in 10th or so grade a friend asked me "Hey... wait are you missing a tooth?" And then not long after that, my mother asked me the same question. So, at some point in 10th grade it went from "out of place" to "so far out of place it looked missing" :-)

The bottom teeth are crowded and out of sorts too. But, it's less visible, so less embarrassing. I'm sure it'll be easier to keep them clean when they're all lined up, though.

Orthodontists initial guesstimate is that it'll be an 18 month treatment. But, we'll see! Despite my pushed back tooth and crowding, they didn't want to do extractions. My bite was not bad enough to require surgery to correct, so I just need to do the braces it seems.

So far I got my braces on last Thursday. They've put some separators in, which has not been super fun. Had to make use of the wax on my lower front bottom because one of my bottom teeth protrudes, and my lip did not appreciate the wire+bracket digging into it :-) I also have a crown on one tooth, so we'll see how that goes. They told me it can be a challenge putting brackets on crowns.

This threaded flossing thing is definitely not great, though. I get the floss in, but then trying to get it out I feel like I'll accidentally break something (tooth, wire, bracket, who knows). It's a bit of a tight fit so it hasn't been easy!

Eating has mostly not been much of an issue. Not too much pain actually at all.

Meats are easy enough (well, sticking mostly to chicken, but I don't do a lot of beef anyway), bread hasn't been to controversial, vegetables not terrible for the most part (avoiding the hard fruits and raw veggies as directed, though!). Salad is definitely a non-starter. Cobb salad was already on our meal list for the week, so I went with it! Couldn't eat enough of it to sustain myself, all the lettuce was everywhere in my braces... it was truly a nightmare.

I will say though, it has certainly upped my confidence in terms of smiling for pictures. I think because having the braces, it feels like I'm acknowledging that they are crooked and I'm making an effort to correct it, so I feel less self conscious about it.

I am picking up some snobbery from other adults, though. I've had these things for 5 days, and already other adults have been like:

"Oh, well my dentist suggested braces for me, but I heard that as an adult you can run into all sorts of problems if you get them."

"I heard if you get them as an adult your teeth could rot out"

"Don't you feel like this will hurt your professional advancement?"

"I wouldn't want to spend that much money on vanity."

"But your teeth have such character!"

"Aren't you afraid they'll get yellow?"

Regardless, I'm excited to get going! Looking forward to seeing how things develop over the next year and a half (or more, if my teeth are stubborn, I guess).

Meinir7

Re: First Timer at 28 (nearly 29!)

#2 Post by Meinir7 »

Welcome to the forum. I am finding flossing hard too. I do have a waterpik, but i also use normal floss. It seems to take forever, and it actually hurts between some teeth.

I have found with the brace (only top arch right now) my teeth never feel clean. My front lip is so raw. I seem to end up swallowing the wax in my sleep. :roll:

As for food, it has only been 5 days. I am only eating porridge, pasta and satsumas. I don’t think i even chew :lol:. I have lost 2lbs, so i am not complaining.

I was kind of foolishly hoping to see a difference. I do not think i have spent this long looking in a mirror since i was a teen. :lol:

41Braced

#3 Post by 41Braced »

I have the same problem you have where I have 2 teeth that are pushed so far back/crooked that they look missing. I’m getting braces on Friday for the first time (at 41) and found your post encouraging. It is hard to deal with this as an adult and people can be total brats but it is empowering to finally be doing something about it. I guess we’ll see how I feel in 5 days..lol

HannahMelissa

#4 Post by HannahMelissa »

Hi
I'm a 27 year old first timer so I look forward to reading how it goes for you as I've been lurking on here for a while too!
I have my initial impressions appointment next week then I should get Damon braces fitted 2 weeks after am starting to look for tips as to what I should buy before I get them fitted and what it's going to be like.

Can't wait though as I've been waiting for this for years!
HM