It's day 2 in braces, when will I stop hating it?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Krissytina

It's day 2 in braces, when will I stop hating it?

#1 Post by Krissytina »

I'm 32 and just got Damon clears on my upper teeth and Damon metal on my lowers. I know I will adjust, but right now I'm SO regretting this! The clear braces look chunky and awkward and I can't figure out how to hold my mouth. I have giant crowns on my back molars that some kind of arm is going to attach to, and the crowns hold my mouth open-- none of my teeth contact each other. I'm a school teacher and my students are obsessed with my braces... they love the speech impediment I have now! I just hate it all right now. My treatment time is supposed to be two years. Can anyone give me some insight on how long it will be until I stop hating it?

Also, anyone have experience with the arm thing? It sounds just awful :( Hoping someone can tell me I'm wrong

EmilyTravels

Re: It's day 2 in braces, when will I stop hating it?

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

I'm not sure about the arm, but I have crowns on all my molars. On my first appointment, I got brackets (self-ligating like Damon but a different brand) on all teeth but my molars w/crowns. Second appointment, they roughed up my crowns a little and put end brackets on each of the six-year molars (none on the 12-year). I just have normal wires that plug into these, so not sure what yours will be like, but for me, the crown brackets were no big deal at all.

Are you perhaps referring to molar buildups instead of standard crowns that you had before braces? I know some people get those, and my understanding is that they prevent the top teeth from overlapping onto the bottom brackets. If you have a deep bite or overbite, that would be why you'd get molar buildups (sometimes called bite turbos). I don't have these as I don't have an overbite (I have an overjet plus crowding). From what I understand, if you do have these, you have to eat softer food as it is hard to chew without your normal bite with more teeth touching.

It is tough to get used to braces at first, and my mouth felt very strange too! But I'm almost 6 weeks in now, and I promise it will get better. My mouth and lips know where they're supposed to go now, and I'm no longer having sensitivity or needing wax for sharp edges as I guess my tissues inside my mouth have toughened up. Eating is always a bit of an adventure, as is dental hygiene/flossing.

I am way older than you at 56 and am getting along pretty well, under the circumstances. Hang in there!

assertives

#3 Post by assertives »

Hang in there! It really does get better! I did not get molar buildups so I also do not have experience with that. But I feel you on the speech thing. I found it hard to speak fast (I'm a fast talker :biglaf:) without tripping over my sentences and on top of that, I find myself whistling as well. :shock:

I'm almost 4 months into my treatment and I've noticed my speech improve, but I still whistle occasionally. :gavel: It took me about a month to get used to braces being a part of my life, and it happened gradually, I couldn't tell when even, so I've stopped fretting over it.

Hang in there, the worst part of your treatment will be over before you know it! :flowerbloom:

FlyByNight

#4 Post by FlyByNight »

My ortho grinder my clear damons down after he put them on my teeth. Not sure if that was to make them smaller or to remove sharp edges. You’ll get used to them in about a week

Krissytina

#5 Post by Krissytina »

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm on day 5 of having my teeth in jail and I just might hate it a little less. The idea of 2 years of this is making me wonder why on earth I wanted braces to begin with!! I'm overwhelmed to say the least!

The arm is a type of herbst appliance. The orthodontist initially put it in when he put the braces on, but I freaked out a little. So, I have the mounts (giant crowns) in my mouth and I go back in 3 weeks to attach it. Nervous!!

klvnw

#6 Post by klvnw »

I got used to it in 2 weeks, hopefully you will too!

RacyRonnie

#7 Post by RacyRonnie »

I don't exactly know the scientific term for the arm, but that thing truly is obnoxious. I wish I could tell you differently, but I don't want to get your hopes up only to be disappointed. The arm isn't comfortable whatsoever and you are not allowed to open your mouth fully. Now, that becomes a problem once you start yawning or (in my case) have to throw up. The vomitting wasn't due to the dental treatment, but it's something to keep in mind! It's only temporary, though, so don't sweat it too much!

tmjd

#8 Post by tmjd »

I can totally relate. Just got braced 3 days ago, and I've been with a bitter-sweet mood. I was shocked the very first day if having them, the second was a nightmare, specially at the office (where I am like "the second in command", everybody noticed the difference, as I am wearing full metal damon insignia braces.

I tried to cope with it with mindfulness meditation before coming to the office this morning, and definitely helped a lot. Being mindful about the feeling of discomfort and the reason why I took the decision to get better, eventually it will. As a Spanish rhyme goes by: "Quieres azul celeste, que te cueste" ("You want light blue, it must cost you", similar to "no pain, no gain".

Best of lucks!

Krissytina

#9 Post by Krissytina »

Well, I am three weeks in and I definitely hate them less. I (stupidly) scheduled family photos for 4 DAYS after better braces, and I almost ditched them. I did participate though, and I don't totally hate those either. 3 weeks down... 105 to go :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ellay4402

#10 Post by Ellay4402 »

So glad to hear your adjusting well!