My date approaches

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tinman80

My date approaches

#1 Post by Tinman80 »

After going to my 3rd consultation I think I have found the place. The office was gorgeous, the staff was courteous, the wait was short etc. The best part was the orthodontists: during my consultation I saw two who both looked at my bite, and teeth and discussed my x-rays.

Their plan was roughly the same as the last two consultations around 20 months in metal braces with class 3 elastics. The thing I liked with this practices was that they were positive but honest about results. What they hope will happen versus what they think will happen versus what could go wrong.

If all goes according to plan I will get my spacers on August 4th.

I go on vacation this week. What foods should I enjoy before I can't for 2 years?

atrixa

Re: My date approaches

#2 Post by atrixa »

Popcorn, chewy cereal bars of any kind, toffee, caramels, fizzy drinks (I still drink these occasionally, naughty), brazil nuts, crisps (you can still eat these but they get stuck everywhere), apples, any sort of grainy salad.

Good luck on your journey!
Upper arch braced (traditional metal) on 17/02/17
Debonded 17/01/18 with a fixed retainer
Estimated treatment time 18 months, actual time 11 months :-*

strinder

#3 Post by strinder »

Congratulations on finding the right ortho for you!!

Enjoy chewing gum and apples. They're the two things that I've not eaten and never realised how often I get offered these!!

Bbyrd

#4 Post by Bbyrd »

I know you are so excited! Can't wait for my turn! :)

Tinman80

#5 Post by Tinman80 »

[quote="strinder"]Congratulations on finding the right ortho for you!!

Enjoy chewing gum and apples. They're the two things that I've not eaten and never realised how often I get offered these!![/quote]
Gum already aggravates my tmj disorder. Thanks though.

throne

#6 Post by throne »

Congrats! Get ready to join the club! :BigTeethGrin:

Tinman80

#7 Post by Tinman80 »

On my Instagram page I am posting each food on the farewell tour. I'm Tin_man_80

sparx01

#8 Post by sparx01 »

Congrats!

Tinman80

#9 Post by Tinman80 »

I have been compiling a list of off limits foods, or messy foods to eat with braces so I can have a farewell tour of eating. Last night was corn on the cob and a candy apple for dessert. Earlier in the week a sandwich with crusty bread followed by caramel popcorn. Anything else I should indulge in?

SinkFullOfDinner

#10 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

By all means, dive into everything on your list. But don't forget to include situations as well as foods. For example, enjoy sitting across the table from a colleague/date/spouse/boss for lunch while eating a big salad. Then smile and laugh at their dumb jokes. You will not do that next month.

Honestly, your adherence to "the list" will grow weaker over time. Your cravings for [toffee, nuts, pen caps, fill in the blank] will grow. Your discipline and resolve will follow the pattern of every New Year's resolution you've ever made.

I, for one, raised a middle finger to the do-not-eat list just last weekend.

Corn was served at dinner. It was on the cob, just like yours last night. As it should be. Was this a cruel joke by my wife? Hmmm, perhaps, but that's not her style. There were knives available for my use (to cut off the kernels, of course, not to retaliate for the potential culinary taunt by the mrs.). I ignored them. I was tired of cutting the kernels off. You will arrive at this point, as well. And, besides, I was at home. So I dug in. Two ears worth. What a bracket-clogging disaster. It was sooo worth it. Glorious, even. I didn't even attempt a swish or a tongue thrust. Who are we kidding? That would have been a futile waste of energy. Just leave the table - no smiling - and hope to return in time for dessert. No regrets at all, but I don't plan on repeating a similar gesture of defiance outside the presence of my immediate family.

My advice: as long as you have a waterpik nearby, eat what you want, except anything with turmeric if you have clear stretchy things anywhere on your brackets. I only worry about things that might actually break off a bracket. Otherwise, my approach is to not make the braces experience any more of a PITA than it has to be. The list of annoyances and indignities is already long enough without treating the food list as dogma.

Tinman80

#11 Post by Tinman80 »

If anyone is following, how long between the time you got spacers and the actual braces bonding? My spacers go in on Friday, I was just wondering how long will it be for me.

blakej1

#12 Post by blakej1 »

I'm a 62 year old and never thought I would need braces. I have two over erupted teeth at the top filling a space below where I had two extractions (noone told me that would happen). I'm now waiting for my braces on October 2nd.

I am concerned as I suffer from mouth ulcers and worried regarding just how much pain I will be in. I have to have elastics to sort a cross bite on the lower and brace on top to stop teeth moving down in order to save them. I will then have 2 implants below.

I've also found out today that the lower front tooth is not good for a brace to hang off so may have to have it extracted then have an implant before a brace can be fitted on the lower. To say I'm anxious it putting it mildly. Any comments appreciated...

Ellay4402

#13 Post by Ellay4402 »

How are things coming along, tinman80?