New Here. Paaainnnnn....

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Blackdog

New Here. Paaainnnnn....

#1 Post by Blackdog »

Hi everyone. Today i got my upper braces and my whole mouth is so tender and at this point i don't even know where exactly the pain is originating from, my mouth feels like its been punched rapidly. I couldn't even eat anything today. I never anticipated​ it would be so hard! How will i live without food! How long will it hurt this much?
I have the condition where my upper jaw is slightly shorter than the lower jaw, so my lower incisors have been putting pressure on my upper incisors and causing them to flare out. The doc said he could relieve my condition by removing two pre molars from the lower jaw, and moving my Lower teeth back and then straightening my upper teeth. My lower braces have been there for a few months now and it was easy to handle. But today, having my whole mouth full of metal and in pain , not able to talk or eat, is the first time that having braces has been such a big nuisance. Learning to talk around my brackets is difficult.
On a side note , id been avoiding braces since my teens , since my slight overjet didn't bother me much. But since about a year or so id started experiencing pain and pressure in my mouth every morning and esp after work out. The doc told me that was because the lower jaw keeps expanding , and therefore the pressure on my upper teeth would only increase with age. So i finally decided at the tender age of 26 to get braces. I sometimes wonder if i shouldve just listened to the dentist earlier, but then , this doc is a new guy, and the earlier ones never stressed the fact that my lower jaw would be ever expanding. I guess i shouldve paid attention in science class or something. I thought my teeth position would remain the same forever!

atrixa

Re: New Here. Paaainnnnn....

#2 Post by atrixa »

Hi Blackdog! I'm glad that you've taken the plunge and gotten a brace, hopefully it will make a huge difference with the problems you've had.

Pain seems to vary wildly from one patient to the next, but it's usually 5 days after an adjustment before I feel back to normal again!
Upper arch braced (traditional metal) on 17/02/17
Debonded 17/01/18 with a fixed retainer
Estimated treatment time 18 months, actual time 11 months :-*

Jacker

#3 Post by Jacker »

Hiya, I've had mine for about a week and it's ok! Trust me your mouth will 'understand' how braces work and feel.

Blackdog

#4 Post by Blackdog »

Thanks for replying you guys! Well today i felt slightly better, the pain has become duller and my mouth isnt so tender anymore. I can talk, although its just weird when i laugh cos my lips get stuck in the grinning position then they slightly stick to my braces, so i have to like move my lips around the brackets when i want to bring my mouth back to 'Unsmiling'. Its kinda funny but also weird. My next adjustment is after three weeks.

nybizzle

#5 Post by nybizzle »

Blackdog wrote:Thanks for replying you guys! Well today i felt slightly better, the pain has become duller and my mouth isnt so tender anymore. I can talk, although its just weird when i laugh cos my lips get stuck in the grinning position then they slightly stick to my braces, so i have to like move my lips around the brackets when i want to bring my mouth back to 'Unsmiling'. Its kinda funny but also weird. My next adjustment is after three weeks.
Same thing happens to me sometimes! It's cause I have hooks there for when I start using elastics. The ortho assistant said as the teeth shift, it will get better.

sparx01

#6 Post by sparx01 »

Im in second round of braces- so far 3 months in. Original treatment was about 17yrs ago when treatment of braces was completed. Pain will definitely diminish eventually, usually no longer than a week. I will say though that 2nd round pain hasn't been as bad as first, probably cause a lot of the major stuff was corrected previously. However, I have noticed that because of the more modern technology of the archwires, that you may experience a little pain several weeks-in, after adjustments, probably because archwires began engaging with time/heat as well. In the very near future, you should began not even noticing the overall teeth pain, other than the poky wires (but poky wires usually mean teeth have moved).

katiedominique

#7 Post by katiedominique »

I got mine a week ago today! And they've almost stopped hurting, as in, I can bite again! Congrats on getting your braces and here's to being able to eat again soon!