New to braces at 23

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gavin

New to braces at 23

#1 Post by gavin »

Hi,

I'm about to turn 24 and come from Glasgow, Scotland.
I've always been afraid of the dentist and never had great teeth and it's something that I've always been paranoid about. Because of my fear of the dentist I hadn't been for around 5 years and recently plucked up the courage to go, and booked an appointment for 2 weeks ago. The appointment went fairly well and i only had one tooth which I had to book in to get a root canal done. My dentist told me to go to the orthodontist if I was as unhappy with my teeth as I was. He recommended two to try (one had a three month waiting list and the other could take me straight away which was in East Kilbride, so I booked an appointment with them on the 25th April.

I arrived at the orthodontist and was absolutely terrified! It was like being back at a dentist! I had my name called and was shown into one of the 3 rooms they have. The room had 3 other dental chairs in it with one other patient in getting work done when I was seated. The assistant put a set of glasses on me as soon as I sat down and then a plastic bib. The orthodontist came and took a look followed by a few X-rays, and several photos. The orthodontist said I would greatly benefit from braces and outlined a few options. As much as I had wanted Invisalign I couldn't justify the cost and I was told that my teeth may be too severe for it anyway. The only braces I could afford was traditional metal braces, which would be applied for 2-2.5 years, on both my upper and lower teeth. I also need 2 teeth extracted, which absolutely terrifies me. Other than having some other people in the same room as me, the experience was absolutely fine and really I had nothing to worry about!

So I decided to sign up for them on the day and really quickly took the jump. I have an appointment to get moulds and spacers in 3 weeks then my fitting is a week after that. I'm a little worried I may have rushed into it, and what I'll look like wearing braces, but excited to finally straighten my teeth!
I have a dentist appointment to get my root canal and teeth extracted at the end of next week which is so scary, but fingers crossed the braces journey goes well and being able to read others journeys is making it easier already.

atrixa

Re: New to braces at 23

#2 Post by atrixa »

I'm so excited for you! I have a traditional metal upper and you can have a bit of fun with band colours.

Don't worry too much about extractions. I had my bicuspids out as a kid and it wasn't a big deal at all.
Upper arch braced (traditional metal) on 17/02/17
Debonded 17/01/18 with a fixed retainer
Estimated treatment time 18 months, actual time 11 months :-*

gavin

#3 Post by gavin »

[quote="atrixa"]I'm so excited for you! I have a traditional metal upper and you can have a bit of fun with band colours.

Don't worry too much about extractions. I had my bicuspids out as a kid and it wasn't a big deal at all.[/quote]

Hi atrixa,

Thank you so much!! Glad to hear your story! I'm going to have to think carefully on band colour as well.

I'm hoping mine will be as straight forward as yours! My appointment at the dentist is tomorrow morning so I'm super nervous today! :( hopefully it all goes well.

Gavin

gavin

#4 Post by gavin »

So today was my dentist appointment and it's safe to say I'm glad it's over!!
I first got my 2 teeth removed, which was unpleasant but not as bad as I was expecting. Only took him about 20 minutes to get both out. Then came the root canal... that was very painful and messy. All and all I was probably in the chair for about an hour. Very glad to be finished and all ready for my braces now. Orthodontist appointment in just under 2 weeks for my moulds and spacers now to look forward too :wink:

dojo

#5 Post by dojo »

Great progress so far. Looking forward to your stories, please keep us posted

Fingers crossed :)
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces

gavin

#6 Post by gavin »

So I had my appointment back at the orthodontist today. Final visit before being braced.

I've been struggling with pain from the teeth that were extracted over the last few weeks and hoping that disappears soon!

The orthodontist went well today though. They were happy with the progress and space in my mouth now. I got photos and X-rays taken when I arrived then got 2 sets of moulds taken and it was the first time that I've been very glad that they put a bib on you every time as I made a right mess! It was a terrible process as I thought I was going to choke :lol:
Also got spacers put in to make room for my bands. They are starting to hurt tonight though.
I have my appointment on Monday to get my metal train tracks fitted and have to admit I'm really nervous now! Sooner it's started, sooner it's done though :)

strinder

#7 Post by strinder »

Keep us updated on how you get along with having your train tracks attached!
Haha I completed agree about having other people having work done in the same at the orthodontist! I thought that was so bizarre!

gavin

#8 Post by gavin »

[quote="strinder"]Keep us updated on how you get along with having your train tracks attached!
Haha I completed agree about having other people having work done in the same at the orthodontist! I thought that was so bizarre![/quote]

I will do strinder! Appointment is tomorrow afternoon, so safe to say I'm very nervous today. Do you have train track braces?

Yeah I'm thinking it takes a little getting used too! Especially at my orthodontist everyone else is usually a kid so makes it a little awkward.

strinder

#9 Post by strinder »

[quote="gavin"][quote="strinder"]Keep us updated on how you get along with having your train tracks attached!
Haha I completed agree about having other people having work done in the same at the orthodontist! I thought that was so bizarre![/quote]

I will do strinder! Appointment is tomorrow afternoon, so safe to say I'm very nervous today. Do you have train track braces?

Yeah I'm thinking it takes a little getting used too! Especially at my orthodontist everyone else is usually a kid so makes it a little awkward.[/quote]

I've got ice braces which are fixed clear braces. Yeah the past times I've been at my orthodontist there has been kids in their school uniform and I'm sat there in my uniform. Although I did see a man who was around 40 when I went to get them on which made me feel a bit at ease.

gavin

#10 Post by gavin »

So I got my braces on yesterday and oh my, I feel young now! Really don't suit them at all, but glad to finally be started.
The whole process was absolutely fine at the orthodontist, and wasn't as long as I'd originally thought.

I went in and was faced with the usual orthodontist running late. Waiting maybe 10/15 mins then was taken through and got a bib and big glasses then waiting for the orthodontist to come. He put the brackets on each of my teeth and used the blue light to dry them on. Then the assistant came and put my wires and bands on (opted for boring silver bands) and then I was free to go after booking my next appointment in 4 weeks time. Was out after about 40 mins in the chair.

I'm hoping I get used to them as I'm really not liking the look of them at all as they really don't suit me! But fingers crossed the look grows on me as I have a while in them yet!

ElizabethMae

#11 Post by ElizabethMae »

The first week I kept jumping at my reflection, but that passed pretty quickly. You get used to your new look and it doesn't seem so strange after a few weeks. Welcome to the club! ;)

gavin

#12 Post by gavin »

[quote="ElizabethMae"]The first week I kept jumping at my reflection, but that passed pretty quickly. You get used to your new look and it doesn't seem so strange after a few weeks. Welcome to the club! ;)[/quote]

Yeah I'm definitely feeling the same! I'm starting to regret my band colour as well, as it just makes me look like I've got completely silver teeth.
I'm hoping I get used to them soon as they're on for a while :wink:

Thank you though. Nice to be in the club and hopefully super straight teeth in no time :)