Ceramic braces on lower teeth - your experience?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

redclaygirl

Ceramic braces on lower teeth - your experience?

#1 Post by redclaygirl »

Hi. This is my first post. I am 51 and getting my braces put on Tuesday. I have a smaller lower jaw and severe overbite. My Ortho recommends the clarity clear ceramic on the top and metal on the bottom. I'd really like to get the ceramic on the bottom as well but she says the they are more fragile and prone to breakage. I would love to hear anybody's experience with ceramic on the lower teeth. How do they feel? Have you broken any? Any experiences advice is welcome. Thanks!

SinkFullOfDinner

Re: Ceramic braces on lower teeth - your experience?

#2 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

First off, good luck on Tue!

I have Clarity on the bottom, and am happy that those are ceramic. It's common to hear that no one sees your bottom teeth, but mine show when I speak, and I personally appreciate not flashing any more metal than necessary. I think I apply a different standard to myself because I don't think twice about seeing metal on someone else.

I haven't broken any and haven't had any issues. A few of my bottom brackets on one side are metal, so I have a comparison, but I honestly don't notice any difference in feel (maybe that's just me) other than the posts for elastics seem more pronounced on the metal ones and sometimes catch my lower lip compared to the ceramics on the other side. So, score at least one for ceramics! On the other hand, the metal posts seem easier to get elastics onto, fwiw. To stop the upper teeth from hitting the lower front ceramic brackets, my ortho uses ligatures that have bumper pads on them. It's one more thing to discolor, but I think it beats bite turbos or molar buildups from what I've read on here. Since you have a deep bite, how to deal with hitting the bottom brackets will be a consideration.

You'll be fine with whatever choice you make, and if your ortho insists on one over the other, don't sweat it. Again, good luck!

FlowerPower

#3 Post by FlowerPower »

I have clear on top and bottom. I was a bit afraid at first since everyone says it's bad and your teeth are prone to chipping. However, at a full 2 months in I can say I haven't noticed any problems thus far. The bottom is actually a bit more comfortable than the top.

redclaygirl

#4 Post by redclaygirl »

Thank you! I'm so nervous - tomorrow is the big day!

FlyByNight

#5 Post by FlyByNight »

I had 6 clear ceramic on the upper and the rest metal and they were a nightmare during debond. They broke the metal ones off fine, no pain, then the pain on the ceramics was pretty bad. They broke apart while they tried to get them off, and they had to keep going at it until they finally snapped off. If I were to get them again, I would get full metal.

Gracie324

#6 Post by Gracie324 »

Greetings, I have had upper and lower ceramics for just about 2 weeks now. Both of the orthodontists that I interviewed/evaluated prior to the application indicated that I could do ceramics on the bottom because I did not have an abnormal bite. It seemed as though because the ceramics are little less durable, that an abnormal/overbite might disturb the ceramics on the bottom. That is my story and I am sticking to it! :D

HarryO

#7 Post by HarryO »

Same issue here to come.......in Clarity clear on top with bottoms yet to be installed. Ortho said ceramic but then commemted metal may be more appropriate for my case. Don't know but my bottom teeth also show and would probably be happier not flashing a tin grin on bottom..

EmmaJade

#8 Post by EmmaJade »

I’m due to get braces on in about a month and have opted for clear on top and ortho orgibally said to have the same on bottom but she mentioned I could have metal on bottom. I suppose it depends if you can see the bottom teeth whilst talking.