Metal vs Clear: Who wins?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cocomacd

Metal vs Clear: Who wins?

#1 Post by cocomacd »

I apologize if this point has been touched on before, but I'm new, so hopefully that gives me a get-out-of-jail-free card!! :crazy:

Did you get metal or clear brackets and what has been your experience with the color you chose?
I get my braces on Tuesday and had originally planned for metal, and the orthodontist suggested clear self-ligating braces because they won't stain. (So he says! :lol: )
Is there better reviews for the clear self-ligating?

Has anyone gotten one type and wished they had opted for the other? I didn't realize this would be such a big decision until my follow up to go over everything. I set the appointment for metal and think I will be sticking with that, but I'm curious on other's opinions! :) Thank you!!
Journey Begins December 6, 2016
First time, Self ligating brackets
Age 38

Sentence: 12-18 months

GloomyPalaver

Re: Metal vs Clear: Who wins?

#2 Post by GloomyPalaver »

I opted for metal braces. My primary reason was that I really wanted to change up the colour of the bands every month, because I think that is exciting.

Also, I figured that even if I got clear braces to hide the fact that I am wearing braces, people would eventually figure out that I am wearing braces.

cocomacd

#3 Post by cocomacd »

Hey Gloomy...that's my thought too. I know some people say it is more professional as an adult to have clear, but why not TRY to have some fun? Lol. I have seen a few pictures of colored bands around clear brackets...it's kind of a cool look...different!
Age 38

Beckett

#4 Post by Beckett »

I have a full set of ceramic brackets. I get new colored bands at my appointments and I think the color stands out more with ceramic than with metal. Plus metal looks a lot darker in your moth in general, so this way I can choose light or even near invisible if I want. I go again on Wednesday and I'm getting red and green for Christmas. I've got power chain top and bottom so each one will be a whole color. One of my teenagers dared me to pick "screaming pink" for Valentine's Day.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

cocomacd

#5 Post by cocomacd »

Beckett, that sounds awesome!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Age 38

r1r1r12000

#6 Post by r1r1r12000 »

I chose metal and I've been happy with my decision. Like you, I figured that it would be obvious to people that I'm wearing braces. Choosing colors has been unexpectedly fun!

MikeLewis

#7 Post by MikeLewis »

I got clear braces on my top teeth and metal on my bottom. The reason being that I was seeking a more "discreet" (not invisible, just more discreet) look, and thats what my ortho recommended. I was pretty happy with that choice. When I wanted to be discreet, I got clear ligatures. In cases where I may want to "dress up" my braces, I got colors. :pinkbraces: I have since gotten my braces off and am happy with the results. In retrospect, I still would have gotten what I got, but I think I would have done colors more often. :BigTeethGrin:

bumbleb79

#8 Post by bumbleb79 »

Hey, I have opted for good old traditional metal (get my brace this Monday)
I was offered clear but he said people will look at you and think 'has she, or hasn't she got a brace' so he said you may as well get metal. Plus I didn't like the idea of a clear one staining and looking a mess until the next appointment.
I am opting for either smoke or grey bands as I don't want any bright colours to stand out even more....

T1braces

#9 Post by T1braces »

I'm 50. I've had metal braces for 10 weeks, top and bottom. I chose these as I was advised they are less likely to pop off as strong, and move the teeth more quickly. I am having several teeth turned. The metal brackets appear smaller than the clear brackets so less friction. Expecting all to be concluded in 10 months . I am happy with the full traditional metal braces and can eat almost anything with them

Twangsnap

#10 Post by Twangsnap »

I've had ceramics on the social six on top and the rest are metal. I'm really happy I went with the clear brackets on top. They are bulkier but actually a lot of people genuinely don't realise you're wearing braces...because there are people in the world who don't stare at everybody else's teeth. Hard to believe, I know :shock: . Also, because of who I am as a person, I have ignored all warnings about what to eat and have so far gotten away with peanuts, baguette, burgers and, just tonight, bbq ribs. No popped brackets so far. 8)

I went with metal on the bottom as my orthodontist said they are more efficient, but I despise them, and i use that word carefully. I don't know if ceramics would have been any easier on my gums and inner cheeks, maybe not, but I feel like someone runs a cheese grater around the inside of my mouth every night.

Drivelofahotmess

#11 Post by Drivelofahotmess »

I have clear on the top and metal on the bottom. If I had it to do over again I would gone with metal because the ceramic are a lot bigger and they are really hard to get off.

carzfrm60s

#12 Post by carzfrm60s »

I went with all metal. At my age, 55 when put on, I just didn't care about the looks.
Plus I have several crowns and was also told the metal generally hold up better.

BlondeCam

#13 Post by BlondeCam »

Hopefully within the next two weeks I'll be bonded with ceramic upper and metal lower. Have had my records appointment and impressions. This is my 2nd round. First time as a teen now at 41! Slightly nervous about the ceramic brackets. Hope that was the right choice. 25 years ago I was all metal. I'm very excited to get this started.

EllenR

#14 Post by EllenR »

Hello. I settled with the metal brackets, the most basic kind of all, because mainly I hardly can afford to get my teeth fixed and that's the cheapest kind. besides, It's supposed to be faster than the clear kind and I want fast results as well. the colors thing is just a bonus for that's not really a main thing for me.

FlowerPower

#15 Post by FlowerPower »

I have clear and while I'm getting used to them now, I still think I'm gonna inquire about switching over to metal at my next appointment.