Adult Newbie Here

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cocomacd

Adult Newbie Here

#1 Post by cocomacd »

Hello all! I have been lingering around this board for a month or so, and there is so much good information and experiences. So glad to have found this place!
I am a 38 year old woman who is getting traditional braces for the first time. My bonding appointment is this coming Tuesday to get the top set on. I will be wearing those for around 6 weeks before they put the bottom set on to allow for some movement so the top teeth don't hit down on the bottom brackets. I have a 'severe' overbite, stage 2(?) overjet, serious crowing on upper and lower and my lower jaw is underdeveloped, so my bottom teeth all curve to the inside to overcompensate. It really sounds worse than it looks. LOL. I have opted not to get jaw surgery to bring my bottom jaw forward, the straightening will help tremendously, I believe, and they are hoping to have some movement with elastics. Time will tell. I am nervous, excited, scared, happy, did I say nervous? I have opted to go for self-ligating metal. The ortho suggested clear (I guess because of my age, ouch), but I really don't think I like the clear. If I'm going to have them, I might as well rock them, too, right?! I am looking forward to the journey and look forward to being a part of this board! :HugeGrin: :-*

helloJT

Re: Adult Newbie Here

#2 Post by helloJT »

Welcome! I'm new too! (I'm 32; female as well). I got traditional braces 7 weeks ago and was given a choice of clear (to make it less visible but will cost a little extra) or the regular metal. I chose the lateral with the same thinking as you - I want to sport all those different colored bands! I had pink to start out with and just changed to teal 2 days ago; I can't wait to try out all their colors! :HugeGrin:

cocomacd

#3 Post by cocomacd »

Hi helloJT! That's what I was thinking!!! Since I will be getting the self-ligating braces, I don't think you technically need the colored bands, but they did say I could still do those for the colors if I wanted to. Red and Green for Christmas, I think maybe! LOL

MikeLewis

#4 Post by MikeLewis »

Welcome to the world of ortho. I had braces some years ago in my 30s, and had clear on top, metal on bottom. One positive about the clear is that, although they are still visible, they are more discreet when you want them to be. And when you dont want them to be discreet, you can deck them out in colors, like I did during Christmas one year (red and green!!). Whatever you pick, I'm sure you'll rock em and look good in them! :BigTeethGrin: