Over 50 and Embracing Our Braces!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LisainTX

Over 50 and Embracing Our Braces!

#1 Post by LisainTX »

Hi! I can't tell you how much this site has helped me not only to make the decision at 57 to get braces but in giving me the strength and confidence to getr through my days with them. You all have answered so many questions and concerns and calmed my fears. You've helped me in decisions along the way. THANK YOU
I wanted to make a spot here for the "seasoned" folk like me to say howdy and share some concerns if that's okay. :-1

Gilly

Re: Over 50 and Embracing Our Braces!

#2 Post by Gilly »

Hi, I am also over 50 and have just got an Inman aligner, day 5. The chain is rubbing the inside of my cheek on one side, can't get it to sit right and I still can speak very well which is a nightmare in a customer facing role but determined to stick it out! How is everyone else coping!

LisainTX

#3 Post by LisainTX »

Hi Gilly!
It gets better. I never thought it would but it does. Hang in there. :-+

Bracesat57

#4 Post by Bracesat57 »

Congrats and good luck!

I still can't believe that I had braces on for 20 months and now they are off!! It went so fast! It was worth every moment of it.

And YES, people have noticed that my braces are off and I have received so many compliments. Then they will ask me, "how long were they on for?" When I tell them 20 months they are in shock.

P.s. A little bit about me....I work full time and I an involved in two bowling leagues and two golf leagues. I am around lots of people all the time. I never tried to hide my braces. I did go with the clear ceramic braces. Good luck!

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

Prometheus

#5 Post by Prometheus »

I'm 5 weeks shy of my 60th birthday. I was very worried I'd look like a dork, yet insane TMJ pain drove me to go ahead with it. I found I really didn't care what people thought and I've had some pleasant conversations with fellow braceface folks. It has actually turned out to be an ok experience and thankfully I'm now largely pain free.
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

LisainTX

#6 Post by LisainTX »

So great to hear from you all!
I tired to hide my braces for the first few weeks then I gave up. I smile and laugh too much so it was impossible and once I realized my friends and family didn't care (which I should have known in the first place) I felt better.