Ready to get braced!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Amsies

Ready to get braced!

#1 Post by Amsies »

Hi there,

I'm a thirty year old mum in Brisbane (Australia) and just had my first appointment yesterday to discuss getting braces. I have a few dental issues, the main being significant over crowding in my front lower jaw. This has led to a number of cavities and I am worried that if I don't do something to fix the alignment of my teeth my dental issues will grow exponentially. I also have exceptionally curvy tooth roots- to the point where the dentist called his colleagues in for a look as they are so significant making it very difficult for them to extract my wisdom teeth. So braces for now, and we will see if increased space means the wisdom teeth can come down naturally on their own.

So yesterday I had x rays and moulds taken and I have an appointment in 2 weeks to come up with a treatment plan. I'll have to decide between invisalign and traditional braces as well.

Nice to meet you all :-)

Zara9

Re: Ready to get braced!

#2 Post by Zara9 »

Invisalign is the way to go :)

Jdizle

#3 Post by Jdizle »

Hiya welcome. Your lucky you get a choice. I don't. Only braces and lots of elastics for me haha. What are you leading more towards braces or invisalign.

Amsies

#4 Post by Amsies »

Hi everyone, Thanks for your replies.

Well, unfortunately my hopes for Invisalign have not panned out- the dentist said that because I have some alignment issues in my TMJs and due to the nature of movement required, re could give my Invisalign if I really have my heart set on it, but that we won't achieve as good a final result, and it will take approximately 6 months longer total treatment time.

Instead he has promosed a Fixed Growth Guidance Appliance for my upper jaw for 5 ish months, and then 12 months standard braces. Eek! I'm a bit worried about the FGGA- has anyone had this before? But happy that only 12 months after that in braces. Firstly I have quite a few fillings to do so I won't be getting the braces on for quite a while yet (only doing fortnightly appointments to keep down costs). I'm hoping to have the FGGA on by June.

Jdizle

#5 Post by Jdizle »

I haven't heard of a fixed growth appliance what is its goal to expand or stop something moving?

Amsies

#6 Post by Amsies »

I believe it is to "create space" in my top teeth. It consists of a wire across the top of my mouth, anchored to my molars and connects to a small plastic plate that provides constant pressure against the front upper part of my mouth. The dentist did mention that my front teeth should flare out slightly more to give my lips and profile more fullness, so I am wondering if maybe the FGGA is a combination of subtle palatal growth and slight flaring of the front teeth perhaps