teeth not straight, ortho says they are and they're coming off?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Stellargirl

teeth not straight, ortho says they are and they're coming off?

#1 Post by Stellargirl »

Hi,

I am supposed to get my braces off on Monday. I would be very excited except my upper lateral incisors are still slightly tilted and I think 1 is overlapping with the center front tooth. I've been bringing this up the last 4 appointments. They've been winding extra wires on and the last appointment the Ortho said the planes are the correct angle (what?). I feel like it's emperor's new clothes: he says they are straight and I think it's crooked. I am an adult, I had braces as a kid and they were very straight when I was 14. Is it not possible to have straight teeth again?

I have finished payment and I'm wondering if he's being an efficient business person and getting me off the schedule even though my teeth aren't perfect. Another friend told me little imperfections are fine (but this wasn't cheap!) The assistant looked at my teeth and asked if I was ok to push out the appointment to get braces off. I said yes, I have waited this long, a little longer is ok. But Ortho said I'm ready. So I am suspicious... He said one of my center front teeth is thicker than the other and that's why I think it's not even. That doesn't make sense to me.

I also got an RX for valium because I get anxious in the chair. My appointment is at 8:40 am, I'm planning to arrive at 8 am and ask them to take a look and make sure they really should come off. I'm on vacation next week and it would be great to not have braces, but I don't want to be pushed into incomplete work, either.

Has anyone else been through this? Is it different as an adult? I know at 40 I won't look the as 14, obviously.

May I post a picture and get opinions? Can you do that on this site? (yes, posting is new for me)

Thank you so much!

Stellargirl

Re: teeth not straight, ortho says they are and they're coming off?

#2 Post by Stellargirl »

https://imageshack.com/i/hlXYqnYfp

Ok, if you go to the link, you can see my teeth are fairly straight, but the upper lateral incisor is tilted forward and slightly overlapping. Help! I'm really stressed about this. I don't know if I should just let it go or stand up for myself and try to have straight teeth. Appointment is in a few hours. I'm terrified to get them off and would like the experience to be over...

Lauradarlin

#3 Post by Lauradarlin »

So what did you do? I think the pic looked great but ultimately, as you said you're an adult, you've paid for it, you're the one that needs to be completely happy! Hope you got a satisfactory conclusion :)

TheProfessor

#4 Post by TheProfessor »

My upper lateral on the left side looks exactly like yours and my orthodontist doesn't seem to be doing anything to straighten it up. I think it is shaped differently than the right one and maybe won't look good if it is straightened too much. It's on my list of things to ask at my next adjustment.

What did your orthodontist say????
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

lilyflower

#5 Post by lilyflower »

Also curious to hear your orthodontist's response. Your pic looks great to me but if it's not the result your're looking for then there should be some kind of plan to get you that result or options listed.
The problems:
Lower crowding, a slightly rotated upper canine and a deep bite

Invisalign G5 started Oct 12, 2015
Attachments: 21
Total number of trays: 28 upper, 38 lower
Estimated treatment time: 18 months
Follow my progress http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=49130

Stellargirl

#6 Post by Stellargirl »

I agonized all weekend and told the ortho I didn't feel they were straight. He seemed a little annoyed but said he was committed to making sure I was happy. They took x rays and he showed me the tooth roots were textbook example of correct.

They put more extra wires on: no problem! Then they gave me the elastics that look like drool in the corner of my mouth and said they were to protect my bite. I do feel my front teeth shifting a bit and my bite feels better. I left for vacation the next day and felt very sad that I wasn't celebrating my 10 year wedding anniversary without braces, but husband was sweet and told me it wasn't a big deal.

I just want the braces off, at this point. I wonder if he gave me the elastics just to add humiliation/ annoyance. if so, it worked! I am still terrified of the process to have them removed. I've developed dental anxiety as an adult and it's very annoying and embarrassing. I got an RX for 1 valium for the appointment and I'm planning to wear headphones during the procedure. I should probably stop reading the debanding stories, they are making me more nervous. I had considered gold braces and kind of wish I'd gone that route.

I have an appointment Nov 4th to assess. I asked if I could make another appointment for debanding and they said no. I don't blame them, it's really hard to get regular appointments and now they probably see me as flighty. I asked if I could get them off before Thanksgiving and the receptionist said they'd make it work.

I don't really see a difference in the tooth that I think is a little overlapped. Maybe it's just the tooth shape? At any rate, I'm ready to be done and enter the world of lisping retainers!

Stellargirl

#7 Post by Stellargirl »

Update: I went yesterday to Ortho, thinking I'd get the green light and have an appointment to get them off before Thanksgiving.

Dr said he wanted to make my teeth perfect and tweak them. Ok. I got more tie wires, adjusted wire and power chain. They said the next date to get debanded was JANUARY. And they wanted my teeth to stay stable before debanding. I tried to not freak out and reminded them I was promised they could find time to deband me before thanksgiving. They found an appointment for me Dec 2. I'm not as scared, now I just want these things off my teeth. And I hate wearing the elastics at work.

I think it's weird the braces were ok to come off in Oct, then whatever they did yesterday resulted in sore teeth!

Zahnpasta

#8 Post by Zahnpasta »

Your teeth look great! I think everyone's teeth are different, so it can be hard to compare between people. I'm sure the orthodontist knows what s/he is doing.

awkwardbraceface8

#9 Post by awkwardbraceface8 »

How did you go in the end? I'm in the same boat as you - my ortho wants them to come off after my next visit but in my eyes they're certainly not perfect.

djiq614

#10 Post by djiq614 »

Hey! The exact thing is happening to me right now! Im 30 and I've told them the past 3 times and nothing feels like it has changed! And I feel the same way about you with the money! What ending up happening?

LisainTX

#11 Post by LisainTX »

I guess this will remain a mystery. I hope she was happy when the braces came off and has since become a less nervous person.

Denley

#12 Post by Denley »

I am in the exact same situation. It is really frustrating. Even, as close to finishing as I am, considering switching ortho. I don’t want to be a headache client but the crooked tooth (as I see it) is RIGHT in the front, a front bottom tooth. She keeps saying it’s straight. IT ISNT!!!