Sorta New with Impacted Canines

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SimMermaid

Sorta New with Impacted Canines

#1 Post by SimMermaid »

Hi everyone I have been lurking around this forum for a few days now and just posted enough to become a full fledged member. I am 27 and will be getting braces soon and I am a complete braces newbie. I have my first visit after my consultation scheduled for St. Patrick's Day. I hope to go with traditional metal braces because I will be proud to show off my new shinnies lol (I'm a bit of a magpie when it comes to sparkle :tingrin: ). I have 2 impacted canines (I previously thought they were called displaced, lol at me.) and they never really bothered me until recently after I got cavities on one of them and regular dental care as an adult. My regular dentist has been nagging me about them for a while and I finally got the "get up and go" to start the process last month. A few of the people here have really helpful in helping me to understand the terms and processes involved so I thanks to those that may not have known how much you helped. I hope to stay an active member and really learn more about braces and eventually help other when I can. See you around, SimMermaid. :-1

Skeetergirl

Re: Sorta New with Impacted Canines

#2 Post by Skeetergirl »

Good luck today! I go for records in two weeks! I'll be following your progress.

SimMermaid

#3 Post by SimMermaid »

Thanks Skeetergirl. I went in early this morning ugh!( I hate mornings like Garfield.) I got my brackets put on today but they are waiting to put on my bands and my arch wire until after my extractions. I got Damon Brackets and some ligature bands in Metallic Blue, Purple, Green and Dark Red. So far today I feel like I can't chew properly because the surface are of my molars are so small the top and bottom brackets end up bumping against each other preventing me from biting down all the way. I feel so weird when I'm eating and even just resting because of my overbite. I am used to resting my upper teeth against my bottom front teeth so now when my mouth is relaxed and when eating I am gnashing my brackets and it is just the most awful feeling. Small bites of food are irritating me to no end. It took me over an hour to eat my dinner of 1 slice of Hawaiian pizza and desert of 1 chocolate chip cookie, normally I would would of polished off 3 or more slices pizza and a half dozen cookies in less than 30 minutes. Feeling frustrated, I hope this gets easier with time and practice otherwise I will starve at this rate. :soremouth:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Skeetergirl

#4 Post by Skeetergirl »

Bless your heart! It will get better, practice makes perfect, right? :)

I'm too new to see your photos yet but maybe soon. I think I'll be too shy to get colors right away, so I do admire that!

SimMermaid

#5 Post by SimMermaid »

Extraction Site.jpg
It has been awhile since I updated last so sorry about that. :oops: Anyway a lot has happened since my last post on March 17th. After over a month of trudging through the field of misunderstandings and non communication between respective parties of the dental profession that cropped up, :-+ it took me over a month to get my extractions scheduled and done. Last April 28th I went in and finally had my premolars removed. I had the procedure done while I was under anesthesia :-Z because of my anxiety levels and everything went smoothly there. I was informed by multiple sources that the healing process would be well over a week and I would be swollen and sore for the better part of a week. Fast forward 4 days after surgery and after the most miniscule amount of swelling on day 3, everything was healing quickly. On May 6th I went in to have the Arch-wire installed and and have been in agony since. :soremouth:
Archwire.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

30yearoldbraceface

#6 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

So happy to have found someone with a case similar to mine! I also had extractions done and my canine teeth will be moved into the extraction gaps. Will most definitely be following your progress :) please continue to post pictures - I am doing the same - about 2 and a half weeks in braces now, so waiting for some movement to show before I can post any new pics :)

Here's to us finally getting a beautiful new smile!! :tingrin:

SimMermaid

#7 Post by SimMermaid »

It's been a few weeks now and wanted to give a small update. I have now gone through 1 full agony session and in the middle of my second session of painful teeth movement. :soremouth: I can feel the miniscule gaps forming between my bottom teeth and I get excited after feeling the changes. My teeth have been so packed together for so long that space between them was practically non existent, so when I feel the tiny changes taking place I know it's progress. I can already see my top right canine sliding and dropping into position ever so slowly and wish it and the other one would hurry up so I can stop whistling through the extraction gaps. +\+ Talking with a lisp is getting really annoying especially when pronouncing certain words. :GapToothed: Recently as in a few days ago I had to go in for a root canal and currently have a temporary seal on the tooth until I can get a crown made and put on. My new dentist (I switched also recently) is going to talk to my orthodontist and see if he is willing to pop the brackets off in that area long enough to get the mold taken accurately for the crown. currently happy that the tooth no longer is sensitive to hot and cold but in place of hot and cold it is super sensitive to touch now. :-(*

SimMermaid

#8 Post by SimMermaid »

Quick Update here. Going in for my first adjustment later today. They made it sound like I was getting a completely new and stronger wire not just tightening like I imagined. I guess I will find out and update after I get done today, if I still feel like doing anything, that is. I am not sure about others, but when my mouth hurts, it saps my energy for most of the day, and leaves me lethargic and seeking comfort food that I can't have. I have also learned that broccoli is my nemesis, even though it can be steamed into oblivion and made soft, it gets stuck in every nook and cranny of my braces and takes forever to pick out.
Until later, :-1

SimMermaid

#9 Post by SimMermaid »

Today I ended up not only getting a stronger new wire of .018 round, but Power Chains on my right canine and an elastic band on the left canine. So far it is only mildly irritating with elastic since it keeps rubbing my upper cheek because of the way my jaw sits and the power chain I don't feel at all yet. I have another appointment the day after my birthday in about 3 weeks and they are going to look at the movement progress of the canines and then possibly chain the left instead of an elastic band.

teeebeee

#10 Post by teeebeee »

Eating is a pain, isn't it? I'm glad I've got the waterpik now to get the gunk out but, even so, food just seems to take great delight in getting into every crevice imaginable and staying there!

My teeth are constantly tender and I seem to have no power to chew, if that makes sense. However, it'll all be worth it :)

T xx

30yearoldbraceface

#11 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

last wednesday i also recieved a thicker wire (on the top) and a power chain (but on my left side canine) hehe - our stories are so similar its crazy! :)

SimMermaid

#12 Post by SimMermaid »

I rarely have the energy these day's to post many updates since life has thrown a curve ball my way. Anyway I saw the orthodontist yesterday and got my final bottom wire put in. It was tough with my teeth being so sore all the time and the assistant having to push the wire into place it took a toll on my pain tolerance. I now have my right canine wired into my brand new full upper wire after the power chains did their work and it looks so cool to have it just where it needs to be to moved into final position with the wire pulling it the rest of the way down. As for my left canine, it is sadly being a stubborn tooth and has barely moved at all since they placed the band on it. It is no longer banded and my orthodontist has had the upper wire placed under the bracket and hooked into the rest of the brackets on the molars. He had concerns about wiring it at this point since he feels it might twist further out of place and rotate instead of properly moving into place. My next visit is in 4 weeks and then the plan is to do chipmunk bands, I had to ask what they were, since that is an animal in my world, ha-ha! I guess they are bands that wrap from top to bottom and will help my canine move better. Cheers to the soft food diet week!