Broken bracket mess up wire change?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newbite

Broken bracket mess up wire change?

#1 Post by newbite »

I have damon braces and one of my bottom front brackets popped off yesterday. I have an appt Thursday and they were going to change the wires (I think). Since the bracket popped off does that mean I have to stay with the current wire? I think I read somewhere that soneone lost a bracket and then had to go back to the starting wire (!). But I can't find any other info on it. Does having a bracket pop off effect when you can go up a wire?
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

mapleleafman888

Re: Broken bracket mess up wire change?

#2 Post by mapleleafman888 »

I encountered this a few months back, a bracket came off on a molar and had to be re-bonded. Also within the last few months I had a wire that was too short and missed the bracket entirely so they had to put a new version of the same size wire in and I had to wait for 4 weeks for the tooth to adjust properly.

So I think that it really depends on which tooth is not linked up and how out of line it may be. You may not even be scheduled for a wire change at this appointment. Some wires can be left in for months.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

newbite

#3 Post by newbite »

Thanks for your reply! That's what I feared :( you had to wait 4 weeks for the tooth to adjust! Ugh. My back molars aren't hooked up yet, either, and all 4 ends of the wires are too short to reach those brackets. Looks like I may be staying in these wires longer, anyway. When I got my braces she told me that my teeth would probably be straight in 6 months (the bite would still need to be fixed after that, of course) so I got really excited thinking I'd be flying through wires. I kind of forgot my back molars aren't even hooked up yet. Who knows, I may be getting those teeth hooked up and then also starting elastics! That would stink...
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

mapleleafman888

#4 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Not getting a new wire doesn't mean your treatment isn't progressing so don't get to excited or down about new wires haha. I have damons as well, their arch wires can go for a long time...and they won't change them unless they are finished working.

It took 6 months or so for my teeth to be 'visually' straight and from reading and seeing others progress that's how long it takes. Of course then the ortho will adjust root angles, heights and bite issues.

Just be patient you'll get to see progress and before you know it many months will fly by! Enjoy the process as much as you can with braces.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

newbite

#5 Post by newbite »

I just wanted to update this to say the broken bracket didn't effect my treatment at all, they still gave me a new, thicker wire at my next appt when they reattached the bracket. They said it hadn't been off long enough to matter since I was still so early in treatment. Apparently, broken brackets/wires, etc are much worse when you're far along into your treatment and can delay your debanding, but don't matter as much when you're first starting treatment.

librarianlk

#6 Post by librarianlk »

I broke a bracket sometime in the last month but didn't realize it until I went in to get my wires changed. I guess the wire was so heavy it kept the bracket from appearing to be broken and it was just hanging there without my knowledge. Unfortunately, this meant that I had to go back to a lighter wire to realign that tooth because it moved so much. So I guess my lesson here is to carefully inspect my brackets on a regular basis. The tooth is out of alignment enough that now I am trying to get it straight again, I'm in a lot of pain on that tooth. I hope this doesn't delay my debanding date, I'm supposed to be done in January 2016.

newbite

#7 Post by newbite »

Oh no that really stinks! I hope it doesn't delay your treatment time. It's weird how it's not necessarily obvious when a bracket is no longer attached to your tooth, you'd think it would be really easy to see. But mine was held in place tightly against my tooth, too, by the wire so I could only see slight movement when I was using a proxy brush. There should be an alarm system or something on these things haha