Countdown is on, panic setting in!!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nurofin

Countdown is on, panic setting in!!

#1 Post by nurofin »

I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago to go to the orthodontist for a consult and within a few days I had signed up for braces before I could chicken out!

I’ve always been quite conscious of my teeth as they are very crowded and want to have them looking a bit straighter for my sister’s wedding next year. I’m getting Incognito braces on my top teeth and Damon braces on my lower teeth to try and be as discrete as possible.

I have 4 weeks until I get my Damon braces and am now starting to panic the more I read about pain, staining, eating restrictions and lisps. I am sure it will all be worth it but not as excited as some of the other to-be-braced users here…! Hopefully everyone's tips and positive stories here will help me along though :shock:

TheProfessor

Re: Countdown is on, panic setting in!!

#2 Post by TheProfessor »

Don't worry, you will be fine and you will actually start to like the braces when your mouth settles down and you start to see visible progress! I've had Damon clears on top for almost 4 months and they don't seem to stain even though I never think about whether the food I'm eating is a hazardous color. I think staining is more of a problem if you have ligatures on traditional brackets. So far, red wine, mustard, and coffee haven't stained my brackets. I'm more worried about coffee and other brown drinks staining my teeth-- I try to have iced coffee so it is not weird to drink it through a straw.
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

pjade1

#3 Post by pjade1 »

I am also doing something similar to that too. I am getting Innovation c's on top and the metal on the bottom. They are similar to the Damons. I still have 15 days left and then bracing day! I'll be doing the spacers and molds this coming Monday. I am not nervous yet and hope I don't get nervous.
07/14/14 - 4 spacers put in
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/11/14 - 2 spacers put in between the bottom back molars
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too
10/14/14 - new square wire change and thick elastics
04/24/17 - braces removed!!! :BigGrin:

cconant1833

#4 Post by cconant1833 »

Ahh, so exciting! In terms of pain, I've had my braces for almost a year and pain is pretty much non-existant. They are usually sore for a day or two after an adjustment, but I just take some tylenol and it's fine! I'm actually amazed at how little they hurt. Technology has come a long way. The discomfort will all be worth it in the end when you are finally happy with your smile! :D

AlexO890

#5 Post by AlexO890 »

I'm in panic-mode too. When is the big day?

dantocanada

#6 Post by dantocanada »

I'm being braced on the 21st. And you're right - I'm going nuts. Half of me is excited to start, the other half is saying WTF? The worst part is the fact that I seem to be thinking about it ALL the time. I guess reading this board doesn't help.

shredie79

#7 Post by shredie79 »

The process will go a lot more hassle free if you can admit you are making a choice as an adult for yourself. No one is forcing the braces on you, right? Embrace the braces.

nurofin

#8 Post by nurofin »

Well the bottom ones went on yesterday - my not so clear Damons! Had a bit of a teary moment when I saw a big grey coil on the front teeth as well as metal brackets on the side teeth. They are definitely uncomfortable but only very painful when brushing my teeth.

6 weeks until my incognito top ones go on and hopefully this yucky coil comes off..

dantocanada

#9 Post by dantocanada »

I'm almost 3 weeks into bottom braces only as well. Don't get my uppers until December after I have jaw surgery. The good news is though I'm pretty much back to 100% normal now. I can eat anything without pain, and my lips have healed nicely. The first week was the worst. The good news also, I find, with the bottom (I also have ceramic on bottom) is that no one ever notices them. In fact, even when I bring them up, people have to do a double take to even see them. So they really are quite discreet, which is good because I talk for a living.

pjade1

#10 Post by pjade1 »

I like the ceramic too but I don't have them on the bottom. I bet they are real descrete on the bottom. I don't mind the looks of them on top either. I hope all goes well with your surgery and healing so you can get your uppers in December. Now that we've started the process, I hope it goes quickly. I know it will all be worth it in the end for us all. The good thing is you got to get used to the lower braces before you get the upper ones. I wanted to cry the first day when I couldn't floss my rear molars. It was impossible but now it's getting easier. I know everyone said that but I didn't think I would ever get the hand of it. :-+
07/14/14 - 4 spacers put in
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/11/14 - 2 spacers put in between the bottom back molars
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too
10/14/14 - new square wire change and thick elastics
04/24/17 - braces removed!!! :BigGrin: