The 3 week wait !!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PaisleyGrrl81

The 3 week wait !!

#1 Post by PaisleyGrrl81 »

Hi all !

After 2 decades of knowing I need braces, I finally have an "install" date of 08/28! Like you all are/were, I am nervous, excited, terrified, and elated! I have been scouring these posts for the past few days and I find myself getting excited when I see one of your tickers get closer to its braces on or off date!

I am 32 years old, and typically have dentist anxiety -- but I actually am not as scared of this ortho journey. Once I knew I didn't need extractions, that took a huge weight off of my shoulders... and teeth. :wink: I'm not as worried about the limited food options or any pain/soreness as much as I am about how I will look. My ortho recommends metal braces for my case: over-crowding, triangular arch, no problem with bite. But I have the option to do ceramic clear as well. I keep wavering back and forth between the two. I'm scared the metal will darken my smile and make me look like a tween :oops:, but concerned about the ceramic being bulkier and more prone to staining. Would love any input you all have about that. :D

It's nice to meet you all, hope to return to some replies soon -- thanks!

Erin :rose:

redwine

Re: The 3 week wait !!

#2 Post by redwine »

Congratulations on your new beginning. I did so much reading before I was braced and found the best information right here (not to mention the encouragement).

kids041

#3 Post by kids041 »

Welcome! I too scoured these forums for information before I got my braces put on. I knew that I wanted all metal brackets. I liked the fact that they were smaller, do not stain, and basically my thought was ... if I am having braces, I might as well enjoy them and have bright colored ligs!
I got my braces today... and I have teal ligs :BigGrin: I am loving the way they look, and I think they help me look younger :jump: :jump: :jump:
You will find the answers to all of your questions here, so sit back and enjoy the ride... have fun (minus the pain) with your braces.

PaisleyGrrl81

#4 Post by PaisleyGrrl81 »

Thanks redwine & kids041! I'm not sure how I will be able to see pictures yet. I think I have to meet a certain # of minimum posts, is this correct? Kids041, I would love to see yours! Since we are so close in our journeys. How was your experience today?! I'm soaking up all that I can, before the big day. The countdown is ONNNNNNN!! :-*

kids041

#5 Post by kids041 »

PaisleyGrrl81 wrote:Thanks redwine & kids041! I'm not sure how I will be able to see pictures yet. I think I have to meet a certain # of minimum posts, is this correct? Kids041, I would love to see yours! Since we are so close in our journeys. How was your experience today?! I'm soaking up all that I can, before the big day. The countdown is ONNNNNNN!! :-*
You have to post 7 comments before you can see the pics.
My experience today was good. I was nervous, but it worked out fine. I think my reactions were- that the tongue re-tractor was not fun, not bad, just not fun. The chemicals that they put on your teeth are not fun, but the rest is fine. I was amazed at the tightness/tension I felt the minute the wires/ligs went on. My teeth are still feeling fine, but my cheeks/lips are getting very sore. I have coated my teeth with wax, taken some more Tylenol/IB and am having a couple of glasses of wine! :lol:
here is a link to my very brief story with pics http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45278

PaisleyGrrl81

#6 Post by PaisleyGrrl81 »

IB and wine -- sounds like a good prescription to me! I'm going for my pano x-rays tomorrow, so I'm hoping that will be uneventful and the treatment plan will remain the same.

I am so darn eager to get started, I don't know how I'll ever make it through the next 3 weeks ... I feel like a kid on the night before Christmas or before a trip to Disneyland! ( Nerd alert!! :crazy: )

I hope to get more replies, and to be able to see & post pics soon. Until then, I'll keep reading and learning. As of now, I'm leaning more towards all metal brackets vs ceramic uppers/metal lowers, so that is some progress in my research.

Thanks for the reply!

kids041

#7 Post by kids041 »

Good luck with the X rays today :-*
You know, you can comment on any other threads in this forum. That way you can get your post # to 7 and then you will be able to see and post pics :thumbsup:

AHopewell

#8 Post by AHopewell »

Hey I posted on another thread before I saw this, but I get braced on 8/28 too! Ready for the day to get here so I'm on my way. Can't wait to see how our stories compare. Good luck waiting!

Amy

PaisleyGrrl81

#9 Post by PaisleyGrrl81 »

Officially down to 2 weeks. +\+ Eeeek! :P I'm getting more nervous as time ticks on, mainly about spacers and molar bands. I keep reading contradictory things about molar bands: some say they are outdated & archaic :shock: , while others say they are still a popular and necessary method. Would love any input on this subject. (Yes, I have used the search feature here but direct replies to my post will still be much appreciated.) Definitely not looking forward to that part of the journey, but am going with the "it is what it is" approach for now. :wink:
Ortho Consult: 08/05/13
Braces On: 08/28/13
Sentence: 18 months
My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =3&t=45283

mapleleafman888

#10 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Congrats! I can identify with how you feel about finally going ahead with treatment...I probably could have gone 12 years ago!

My bond date is about 11-12 days after yours, would love to follow your journey as well.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

JeniK

#11 Post by JeniK »

Hello!! PaisleyGrrl81.. I was as anxious as you are. :dance: I had to wait 2 months..due to a medication I was on.

Now that I have my braces...I am so happy I did.

Anyways...all is good with my braces. I actually enjoyed food today!!

Your time will go fast. As someone on here told me....enjoy all the corn on the cob you can now!!
Good luck..and keep up posted!! :thumbsup:

nachoesq86

#12 Post by nachoesq86 »

PaisleyGrrl81 wrote:Officially down to 2 weeks. +\+ Eeeek! :P I'm getting more nervous as time ticks on, mainly about spacers and molar bands. I keep reading contradictory things about molar bands: some say they are outdated & archaic :shock: , while others say they are still a popular and necessary method. Would love any input on this subject. (Yes, I have used the search feature here but direct replies to my post will still be much appreciated.) Definitely not looking forward to that part of the journey, but am going with the "it is what it is" approach for now. :wink:
I think they work better than brackets because they don´t break as easily and they have more control of the tooth.

Matilda

#13 Post by Matilda »

Hi Erin! Welcome to the community and best of luck on your upcoming journey.

anedia

#14 Post by anedia »

Hi Erin!

My brace date is Sept 4 so just a week after you :)

Regarding molar bands, it seems to depend on your treatment. If they need that anchor to make the correct movements, then you'll probably get them.

I was going back and forth between metal and ceramic also. My new ortho charges more for ceramic so I've decided to embrace it and go all metal. I haven't decided which color logs he though.

Keep us updated :)
First Consultation: July 16th, 2013
Second Consultation: August 21st, 2013
Extractions (Wisdom + baby tooth): August 22nd, 2013
Brace Date: September 4th, 2013
First Adjustment: October 18th, 2013.

kids041

#15 Post by kids041 »

anedia wrote:Hi Erin!

so I've decided to embrace it and go all metal.
That is what I did too, and I have to say that I have not minded one bit since I have gotten them. I have teal ligs and they are fun. I am constantly amazed at how many people DO NOT notice or say anything if they do notice... I have had 1 person say something to me... 1 :!: I guess no one cares really. Braces are so commonplace now.
It is kinda funny to be talking to someone, and you can just tell on their face when they have noticed them, but they don't say a word... I look for that expression just for something fun to do... haha :-* (social experiment)
Good luck to you! Keep us updated with pics if you feel so inclined.
:thumbsup: