Is it ok to brush with baking soda and peroxide w/ braces?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Alee

Is it ok to brush with baking soda and peroxide w/ braces?

#1 Post by Alee »

Hello all, I'm new here! I'm 32, mother of 4 young children, and in my 10th week of braces! I absolutely have to have a cup of coffee in the a.m, most days 2, and I know it stains teeth. I called and ask a dental tech at my orthodontist if it was ok, all she said is they don't recommend whitening until after the braces are off. But befor the braces were put on I used whitening strips and now I'm worried the rest of my teeth ate going to be yellow looking compared to where the braces were. I think to maintain the color I should used baking soda/ peroxide since I do drink coffee daily. I'm going to ask my dr Thursday, but I just want to make sure the combo can't loosen the bond on the braces, I appreciate any help !! :-}

Tobilei

Re: Is it ok to brush with baking soda and peroxide w/ brace

#2 Post by Tobilei »

My ortho said not to actually use whitening gel or anything, but that whitening toothpaste (supermarket kind) is fine as it doesn't really work anyway, just moves any new stains. I have brushed once with baking soda and peroxide after I dyed my powerchain yellow with curry. I think it's okay to maybe do a couple of times over the course of a year but it's very harsh and very abrasive. I wouldn't be doing it all the time. Try not to worry, they'll give you a good clean and polish when they come off anyway and in the meantime, like I said, supermarket whitening toothpaste is fine :)

tangledgurl

#3 Post by tangledgurl »

Mine was stained with yellow curry too! hahaha And I used baking soda and peroxide to clean it out. I didn't ask the ortho first... oops? I don't think it loosened anything. And I feel like I can still see the yellow tint, even though my husband says he can't see any yellow.
So note to newbies, don't eat curry while you still have braces!!

mariawong86

#4 Post by mariawong86 »

Alee wrote:Hello all, I'm new here! I'm 32, mother of 4 young children, and in my 10th week of braces! I absolutely have to have a cup of coffee in the a.m, most days 2, and I know it stains teeth. I called and ask a dental tech at my orthodontist if it was ok, all she said is they don't recommend whitening until after the braces are off. But befor the braces were put on I used whitening strips and now I'm worried the rest of my teeth ate going to be yellow looking compared to where the braces were. I think to maintain the color I should used baking soda/ peroxide since I do drink coffee daily. I'm going to ask my dr Thursday, but I just want to make sure the combo can't loosen the bond on the braces, I appreciate any help !! :-}
arm and hammer have a toothpaste that have peroxide and baking soda taste is not so good LOL but it keeps my teeth really clean :) hope it helps

Alee

#5 Post by Alee »

Thank you all! I will try the arm and hammer toothpaste. I've been brushing with the combo, and I think it does work!

mariawong86

#6 Post by mariawong86 »

Alee wrote:Thank you all! I will try the arm and hammer toothpaste. I've been brushing with the combo, and I think it does work!
It does :)) your welcome !

chloespeaks

#7 Post by chloespeaks »

I'm a newbie, but I'm sure periodic use couldn't be a problem - I guess it may depend on the type of braces. I can't do without it - I'm an inveterate tea drinker and I think tea is actually worse than coffee for staining teeth because the particles are smaller!

Baking soda is abrasive; don't scrub hard (you should ever anyways).