Is it common to get just top braces at first visit?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kgallagher

Is it common to get just top braces at first visit?

#1 Post by kgallagher »

Hello everyone,
My name is Katie. Im 24 years old and I had my braces put on a little over 2 weeks ago. I went with Damon clear on top and supposed to be damon metal on bottom. At my first appointment they only did my top teeth and I was just curious if this was a common thing? I asked the receptionist when I was scheduling my next visit if the bottoms were going to be put on at this next appointment and her reply was "no I dont think so I doesn't say thats we're doing." I can tell my teeth have moved quite a bit already because certain top teeth are touching my bottom teeth before the rest. Thank you for any feed back.

giraffington

Re: Is it common to get just top braces at first visit?

#2 Post by giraffington »

Hi Katie,

I'm not sure whether it is common or not but the same thing is happening to me today. I am getting only my top braces on and then after a couple of months the bottom. My ortho explained that my top teeth would be biting down on the brackets on my bottom teeth if they were put on right now. Instead they will wait a couple of months until my teeth have moved "out of the way."

kgallagher

#3 Post by kgallagher »

Thank you for your reply! I figured that might have been the reason since I had a pretty bad over bite. I just wish he would have explained that instead of have me wondering. Good luck with your quest for a beautiful smile!

SunshineRay

#4 Post by SunshineRay »

Did they say that you were getting top and bottom? Im only getting top for the whole treatment time.

kgallagher

#5 Post by kgallagher »

Yes they said top on bottom. Damon clear on top and damon metal on bottom. My bottom teeth are the worst, wish I could have started with the bottom instead of the top.

TMJJill

#6 Post by TMJJill »

i think it really depends on your treatment needs. This was actually part of my 2 year treatment plan. I have Damon clears on top (front 10 clear, molars are metal) and the metal on bottom. My lowers weren't planned to be put on until after my upper arch had developed the teeth were in place. I was 11 months into treatment with the uppers when my lowers went on. With the lowers, we have shifted teeth some, but I've been working on erupting some of my teeth so they touch the uppers more appropriately for a good bite.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Acklay

#7 Post by Acklay »

I got my top braces a few months before getting my bottom braces on. Due to my overbite, if they put my bottom braces on at my first visit I would be biting down on them. After my bite opened up some they put the bottom brackets on.
Braces Installed on 5/3/2012
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 Months+
Click here to read about my experience!

kgallagher

#8 Post by kgallagher »

Thank you guys for your responses. I hope I get my bottom braces on my next appointment so I can start seeing some results.

jean001

#9 Post by jean001 »

I just got mine on this past Tuesday and they only did the tops. The ortho said it was because the bottoms would be hitting my top teeth. So once he gets them where they wont hit then he'll put them on.

debinator

#10 Post by debinator »

I got my top braces on April 2- I am going to get my bottom brackets on June 18th. I had a crossbite and my ortho wanted me out of crossbite before he would put lower brackets on. I am officially out of crossbite now and only have 3 days left until I am fully braced!! I have heard that it is a pretty common occurrence to have one then the other a few months apart due to bite issues.
50 year old kid at heart

My story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=44406

Debraced 2/25/14 WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

braceyourselfs

#11 Post by braceyourselfs »

Definitely. When you get the bottom bracket on, then you'll feel like you're rolling. Just got to wait until then.

chloespeaks

#12 Post by chloespeaks »

I don't know how common it is - I also just had my first installation, and it was also the top only. For me, I know that it is because the main reason I'm getting the braces at all is it's for lateral movement to create room for two implants on each side. :GapToothed: That is stage One . Also, my top teeth are slightly slanted inwards, so my dentist did mention that opening up the bite would mean she may not have to put a spacer on the lowers when they go in. I don't know when the lowers will go it though.

Personally, I'm not anxious for them, as I am really not loving having braces in!!! :tingrin: The flossing is soooo annoying as well as the food prevention (!).

Kezza

#13 Post by Kezza »

I got ceramics on the top 18 weeks ago and don't get my bottoms (metal) until september 9th! My Ortho wanted to see how my top teeth straightened out first...not really sure why to be honest but I have total faith in him! This process takes as long as it takes....I want as close to perfection as possible and that might take a bit of time!
39 year old woman.

Upper Ceramic Braces Put On 16/4/2013.
Lower Metal Braces put on 9/9/2013.

Matilda

#14 Post by Matilda »

Yes, it is.

BraceFace2o1o

#15 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I had a deep bite, so my upper front teeth almost completely covered my lower front teeth. My ortho put my upper braces on first then 3 months later once my upper teeth had moved/straightened a bit he put on the lowers.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos