From India,Braced at 25: Namaste!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Webbie

From India,Braced at 25: Namaste!

#1 Post by Webbie »

Hi All!
I'm a 25 year old girl from India and a newbie in the Braces World. :) I have an overbite and overcrowding. I have wanted to correct the alignment of teeth since for the last 10 years but folks at home were against it. (Will make teeth, weak, teeth will fall out sooner, no extractions etc). However I finally took the plunge and got metal braces fitted on the upper row of teeth on 10th August. :-#) I got 2 teeth extracted - upper premolars. Prior to that had separators(rubber bands) for a few days prior to that. There was slight pain due that but bearable.

I have a case of Class 2 Division 2 Malocclusion. Others having a similar condition can share their experience with me through this site. :computer: This site provides a lot of information so I have been reading up others' experience, Lynn's Journal etc and found it very informative and helpful.

I consulted 3 orthodontists of which 2 said 2 extractions would be necessary. The third said he could start treatment and decide after 6 months whether extraction would be required or not. I was in two minds regarding extractions. :? :Questions: Then consulted another Ortho who reiterated the same thing- 2 teeth have to go. :cry: So finally I opted for them and have begun treatment. The bicuspids that were to be removed didn't appear that big. Once removed they have left such gaping holes :GapToothed: that I'm wondering whether they will be filled properly or not. :?: :roll: The dentist and orthodontist have assured that it will be fine. I am hoping all turns out well. The estimated time is minimum 1 year with metal braces and at least 6 months with retainers after that. The countdown begins! +\+

Greenman

Re: From India,Braced at 25: Namaste!

#2 Post by Greenman »

Welcome to archwired, Webbie. Good luck with your treatment!
Paul
My Blog: The Invisalign Challenge http://theinvisalignchallenge.blogspot.com.au
Can Invisalign fix gap, buck, crooked, twisted, crowned teeth?

U - 8/36
L - 8/36

Webbie

#3 Post by Webbie »

Thanks Paul! :)

nikkibabie19

#4 Post by nikkibabie19 »

welcome webbie.

I look forward to following ur journey.
Hope to see pics soon.....
Keep us updated on ur progress....... :D

Chao

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

dollface4248

#5 Post by dollface4248 »

hey! i also just got braces at 25yrs, 2 months back!
so far its ALOTTA PAIN and ALOTTA brushing! :P

Webbie

#6 Post by Webbie »

Sure Nikki.. I'll post pics soon..
Hi Dollface :-1 .. I hope the pain subsides soon.. Yes so much of brushing and cleaning is bothersome :ThumbsDown: .. but its for some time +\+ .. have to bear it.. Good luck! :)

Glandyover

#7 Post by Glandyover »

I had braces 10 years ago (I was 26) when I visited Bangalore for work. Nobody seemed to think it anything out of the ordinary at the time. Learning to eat with my hand and no utensils while having braces was a fair messy proposition. Are you still in India and are orthodontists common? I only saw one other adult with braces while I was there.

Webbie

#8 Post by Webbie »

Hi Glandyover! :D

Firstly I'm curious about your screen name..

I am an Indian and have been living here since birth.

The usual custom in India is to eat with our hands but there's no compulsion.. Wondering why you had to 'learn to eat without utensils' in a city like Bangalore!! :shock: I do not suppose there is any dearth of dining places there where spoons, forks, etc would not be available. But then learning anything new is fun. Besides eating with hands is not only simple,natural(our hands are our best tools),quick,easy but scientifically proven to be very beneficial. So why complicate life? :? :wink: In fact Indian food is best had with fingers. If you try eating Indian breads such as roti, naan etc with knives and forks it'll be impractical if not impossible.

Anyway I think I went off topic. Maybe because it reminded me of the recent comment made by Oprah Winfrey in her show while visiting India about Indians "still" eating with hands. :roll: Quite ignorant and definitely not in good "taste"! :twisted: However I understand that for people who are not used to it, its a little cumbersome. I t may even be amazing or unthinkable.. :crazy: [just goes to show how much more there is in the world that we are yet to know of.. isn't it?] Also for those who are used to very sanitised environments, the immune system isn't as strong.. so it may cause indigestion or other problems.

About Orthodontists in India- since i live in a metro city there are all facilities. In fact there are 3 dental clinics in the lane that I reside in. By the number of dental clinics I see around me I guess there are a lot of doctors and patients around. Quite a few of my classmates wore braces as adults.

All the best with your treatment :-#)

Glandyover

#9 Post by Glandyover »

Webbie wrote:Hi Glandyover! :D

Firstly I'm curious about your screen name..

I am an Indian and have been living here since birth.

The usual custom in India is to eat with our hands but there's no compulsion.. Wondering why you had to 'learn to eat without utensils' in a city like Bangalore!! :shock: I do not suppose there is any dearth of dining places there where spoons, forks, etc would not be available. But then learning anything new is fun. Besides eating with hands is not only simple,natural(our hands are our best tools),quick,easy but scientifically proven to be very beneficial. So why complicate life? :? :wink: In fact Indian food is best had with fingers. If you try eating Indian breads such as roti, naan etc with knives and forks it'll be impractical if not impossible.

Anyway I think I went off topic. Maybe because it reminded me of the recent comment made by Oprah Winfrey in her show while visiting India about Indians "still" eating with hands. :roll: Quite ignorant and definitely not in good "taste"! :twisted: However I understand that for people who are not used to it, its a little cumbersome. I t may even be amazing or unthinkable.. :crazy: [just goes to show how much more there is in the world that we are yet to know of.. isn't it?] Also for those who are used to very sanitised environments, the immune system isn't as strong.. so it may cause indigestion or other problems.

About Orthodontists in India- since i live in a metro city there are all facilities. In fact there are 3 dental clinics in the lane that I reside in. By the number of dental clinics I see around me I guess there are a lot of doctors and patients around. Quite a few of my classmates wore braces as adults.

All the best with your treatment :-#)
My username is an anagram of my actual name. I don't particularly require anonymity.
When I visited Bangalor I really wanted to learn customs and acclimate. I think that's the best way to actually understand a culture rather than just be a tourist. I bought a few kurtas and a nice pair of sandals and went walking around a lot taking in the sights and sounds. Eating with my hands was just another way to acclimate. For the most part, though, I'd tear off a little roti and use that to pick up food since that's not too different from eating Mexican food the traditional way. Thanks for the info. I really liked how there were a number of small shops and businesses everywhere you looked rather than a few mega malls or Wal-Marts. It made buying things more interesting and you actually felt like you were giving your money to someone rather than a big nameless corporation.

Webbie

#10 Post by Webbie »

Glad to read about your experience in India. :)

NICURN85

#11 Post by NICURN85 »

Hi Webbie!! :-1

Welcome to the board and to the world of braces!! I look forward to reading about your progress. This is a wonderful board!! Hope to see pics soon.
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

Webbie

#12 Post by Webbie »

Here's a picture of my smile before becoming a metal mouth. Trying to figure out how to post pictures directly here.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj5 ... e9f953.jpg

Webbie

#13 Post by Webbie »

Its been 3 weeks and I keep checking my teeth in the mirror to notice whether there's been any movement. The good thing is I can eat almost anything. I am just careful not to bite with the upper front teeth. On the negative side I am anxious and keep wondering what if the gaps from the two extractions don't close fully?!

Webbie

#14 Post by Webbie »

So today was my first adjustment. It hurt a bit. I feel the teeth are moving so now every now and then there's some pain in some tooth or the other. The upper front 2 teeth are the worst offenders. Probably I felt more pain today because I wasn't expecting it at all. The process has been quite smooth fr me till now.
However I'm feeling that there may be a slight poking wire there. I'll have to get it fixed if it bothers me.
Meanwhile I've asking the dentist to send me the teeth pictures. Hope he'll do that soon.

Webbie

#15 Post by Webbie »

Here are some pics. This is the one before braces.

By ihsavru at 2012-09-14