How did you tell people???

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bionicbigmouth

How did you tell people???

#1 Post by Bionicbigmouth »

Hey all! :)

Just a wee question...as an adult, how did you tell your family, friends and colleagues, that you were getting braces?

In my situation, my husband and my mum know...but I don't know how to approach it with other people. So it would be nice to know what your experiences were like! :)

BellaBraces

Re: How did you tell people???

#2 Post by BellaBraces »

I didn't tell anyone except my husband. My family are prone to making tiresome comments so I preferred to present it to everyone as a fait accompli.

Acklay

#3 Post by Acklay »

The only person who knew ahead of time that I was getting braces was my best friend (who has braces himself) so it wasn't difficult telling him about it.

Everyone else just had to find out when the spoke to me. I think the best reaction I got was from my 8-year-old cousin. She kept looking at my mouth, but tried not to be obvious about it. I finally asked her if she noticed anything different and her immediate reaction was "Braces!" We then got into a conversation about colors on braces... she told me I should stay away from pink or purple.

All of my friends and family have been nothing but positive about the braces, which honestly is what I expected. Don't worry too much about people's reactions. When people see you are trying to improve yourself, they will almost always be supportive.
Braces Installed on 5/3/2012
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 Months+
Click here to read about my experience!

Bionicbigmouth

#4 Post by Bionicbigmouth »

I think I might take that approach...just let people ask me about it if they feel the need to...I just told my friend, as she asked me to be a bridesmaid a couple of weeks ago...so I didn't want her to just find out when I next saw her...just in case she worried too much! Lol! :)

nikkibabie19

#5 Post by nikkibabie19 »

The only person who knew before hand (when all the extractions and fillings and molds were taking place)

i told my mum & my uncle (they helped me pay for it) and my sis and my boyfriend (moral support) Other than that...

I told my 2 best friends ON THE DAY i got them...while we were talkin on the phone i just threw it in there...that Oh i got braces today..But they knew i was planning & saving to get it...so they weren't totally surprised.

I didnt tell anyone else. They just all figured it out...(you know seeing all the metal in my mouth) lol

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

OldBikerBag

#6 Post by OldBikerBag »

I have no idea what the big deal is. I have not heard one single negative comment and only one question as to why. My step mom asked that one, saying she didn't think my teeth were that crooked.

I just told them. After that, it's up to them how to handle it. It's not like anything someone else says is going to change my mind and I'm going to run to the ortho demanding all the hardware be removed immediately because my cousin's friend's boyfriend has a different opinion.
385 Days in Damon Braces

Realizingadream

#7 Post by Realizingadream »

I didn't tell them. I just showed up with them on. I was around quite a few people recently, some social gatherings. NOT ONE PERSON has said anything about my braced teeth, good, bad, or indifferent.

I am not sure if they were being respectful or just didn't care. I have a feeling it is the latter, but they're both good.

Real

NervousNewbie

#8 Post by NervousNewbie »

Same as most, I didn't tell anyone. I didn't want to hear the opinions beforehand. I only told my husband (boyfriend at the time) a day or two before my bonding appointment. I figured once it's said and done, there's not much left anyone can say that would matter.

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

bakejoy

#9 Post by bakejoy »

I let them find out. It was actually rather interesting to see how long it would take some people to realize that I had braces.

ellieb

#10 Post by ellieb »

I'm not telling people. I don't think. I have an appliance that clasps on my molars back where you can't see, and it's behind my teeth. I just recently got it and I didn't wear it to brunch with a friend, because I really just couldn't postpone it and it was so new that I couldn't really eat in any meaningful way. Now I sound normal enough, I was on a conference call yesterday and nobody seemed to notice. I take an acting class and I'm going to have to say something because speech is listened to carefully. But it's really not a big deal because it's an acting class, and half the people in it have invisalign or lingual braces or something going on -- and if they haven't, they did already! But things have improved so much over the last couple of days that I feel comfortable wearing it socially. In a few weeks I'll get a bar across the front of my teeth, and if anyone says anything, I'll just say, "Oh, I've had it for a while minus the bar, I didn't realize you didn't know!"
Though, part of me wants to just tell people about it! I don't want to call anyone's attention to it, but I also don't want people just silently wondering. Like, I'm proud of myself for being able to afford it, doing the research to find something that is actually bearable, seemingly effective already, and having the discipline and confidence to wear it full-time (except for that brunch early on--watching me try to eat would have made everybody sick!). So I don't want people thinking I'm really embarrassed or self-conscious. I mean, I'm a LITTLE self-conscious but not more than anyone would be.

staceyraver

#11 Post by staceyraver »

i told a few friends and a couple of people at work, then after i had them fitted i was like "guys...who wants to see my bling!?" lol

Greenman

#12 Post by Greenman »

Only my wife and kids know I'm getting Invisalign. I get my first tray in a couple of days. Don't know if I will tell my extended family and others or not at this stage.

MakeKeyOver

#13 Post by MakeKeyOver »

I plan to tell no one and let them find out whenever they see me. I don't want anyone's opinions affecting my decision.

leigh287

#14 Post by leigh287 »

I only people who know I am getting braces on August 6 so my boyfriend, best friend, and family. I am not telling anyone else because I want to see who notices I even have braces on especially at my work. My appointment is at 8:30 on the 6 so I am going to work after that. :)

Teacher03

#15 Post by Teacher03 »

I made my announcement on facebook :-* after telling a few family members...... no negative reactions at all!
Rena