Braces at (almost) 49

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shekhinak

Braces at (almost) 49

#1 Post by shekhinak »

I grew up with four siblings, and I was the only one who didn't have braces in my teen years. I've been very self conscious about my teeth for about 35 years now - but until recently I didn't have the money to do anything about it.

A few years ago my wife tried the Invisialign through our general dentist. For the most part it went well, but she did have a few problems at the end game. So I decided to give it a try, but I decided to go instead to an orthodontist.

When I went for the initial exam I decided that if they wouldn't give me the Invisalign braces - I'd just forget about the whole thing. When I asked, they gave me an awkward smile and said, "Umm... in your case, we can't recommend that." By that point, I had so much emotionally invested in getting my teeth straightened, that I think I would have agreed to full head gear for life right then and there. So, I made an appointment to get the ceramic braces.

My appointment was last Friday (September 9, 2011). To tell you the truth, I was in a "dissociative state" the whole time. I was sitting there with the lobster bib on looking at the instrument tray next to me, it was all quite surreal. When they were putting the brackets on, I just felt like I was in a regular dentist visit, though I'm not quite sure how I rationalized having all of that hardware there to keep my mouth open. When they started to snap in the arch wire, that's when reality hit me - that I was wearing braces.

I was expecting to be in a lot of pain the first week, but other than the fact that I can't bite down on anything, it really hasn't hurt any. Mastering how to floss was non-trivial, but I think I started to get the hang of that on the second day. I feel a little sheepish at work, particularly when I have to sneak off to a bathroom in the other corner of the building to brush my teeth, but hey - I'm just glad my teeth will eventually be straight!

flynn

Re: Braces at (almost) 49

#2 Post by flynn »

Congrats on improving your smile and self-confidence! I know what you mean when you say you were emotionally invested. In my ortho's office, the treatment is open and all the patients are worked on in sight of each other. I was embarrassed at first because all the other patients were children and I am 39! But I really want to fix my teeth, so swallowed my pride and went for it. Wouldn't it be nice if there were orthodontists that only treated adults? LOL
But on a good note, I haven't had any bad reactions to my braces, and I just tell people straight up front that my speech is slurred due to my bite plate- kind of like my ice breaker to prevent any awkward moments. :)
Good luck!
Francy
Life is a journey- make the most of your trip!

shekhinak

#3 Post by shekhinak »

Oh thank you for saying that!!! Yes, as a middle aged man with gray hair sneaking in, I felt really silly being in an office where most of the patients are kids. I try to keep a sense of humor about it (like when they were going to take the impressions and they came out with the tray of pink silly putty I said, "Oh no no, I want BLUE!"), but in truth I do feel very awkward there. I'm surprised I haven't had any nightmares about being sent back to kindergarten.

I only have the top braces on, and I've discovered that if I keep my upper lip over the brackets, no one seems to notice them. At work I sneak off to a far away corner in the building to brush my teeth every time I eat something, but I suppose that's a small price to pay.

So likewise, congratulations on your improving smile! And thanks for posting a reply - I really do appreciate it!

-Peter

tomrsvee

#4 Post by tomrsvee »

Congrats and Good luck to you - I started my treatment at 50 (almost), I'm now 53 and hope to be finished in the next few months. Started with ceramics on the top, then metal on the bottom about 6 months later. In the beginning I did the same thing with my lip. Later, a co-worker made a remark that she could tell I was self-concious by the way I held my lips. It took a while, but I finally learned to relax, smile and speak naturally, and I think people are used to them and don't even really notice them anymore. I know my family doesn't. As proof of that, go over to the de-brace message board and read complaints that noone notices when they are removed! :D
Best wishes - the time goes quickly (unfortunately, in a way) and soon you will be near the end, as I am now. (fingers crossed) As a word of encouragement, you will be very surprised at how quickly those old teeth can move. Mine have been very straight for a while, this last bit of time is getting the bite right.

shekhinak

#5 Post by shekhinak »

OK, I really REALLY appreciate the posts! I'm at the one week mark now, and I'll admit that I'm starting to think, "What did I get myself into???" Hearing the encouraging posts from others, really helps.

I'm in the beginning stages of this, and I'll admit that I was pretty darn naive. I figured it would just be a little discomfort after each visit to the orthodontist, but that would be the worst of it. It's getting a lot ore involve than I had ever expected.

So hearing from others, who have been there, and who are near the end - helps a lot!

Thank you so much!!!

Chuck1026

#6 Post by Chuck1026 »

Hey, I am pretty much on schedule with you! My Damon Clears and Metal lowers went on Sept 6th. I am looking at 20 months. Like you, the office is 70% kids, but my Ortho's assistants are mostly very attractive 20-something females, so it's not all bad :-* .

Chuck

shekhinak

#7 Post by shekhinak »

It does sound like we're on similar tracks, Chuck. I've been told I'm in for 18 months, but my daughter said they told her the same thing, and she had them on for 3 years. :shock: And to to be honest, I've had a bit of a rough time of things over the past few days. Hence I'm thinking, "What did I get myself into?" From what I've gathered from this website, that's apparently very common.

Keep me posted on how things go for you!

Chuck1026

#8 Post by Chuck1026 »

Hmm... I hope I have not been "low-balled" on the time frame. I would rather be told a worse case and then be plesently suprised. Most orthos are glorified salespeople and want to score the biz by lowballing. Argh!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for us and the others on here too. Here is wishing us all a timely and happy ending :).

tomrsvee

#9 Post by tomrsvee »

My ortho has been coy from the beginning regarding time-frames. Told me generally speaking 2 - 3 years for adults, thought I would be closer to two. What the ortho really can't predict is how long it will take to get the bite right once the teeth are straight. I think that's what tacks on the time. However, once you get so far into treatment, you realize you want it done right and settle into the monthly visits. In this last portion of my treatment, I've worn rubber bands, something I swore I would never do, yet here I am, 3 1/2 months into wearing them 24 hours a day. I'm a alot less self-concious than I was at the beginning of treatment, I now freely drink coffee, and don't worry as much about staining the bands. In the beginning, I was satiating my caffeine habit with Moutain Dew!

shekhinak

#10 Post by shekhinak »

I suppose the expression, "In for a penny, in for a pound" fit in here? Yes, I'd be willing to spend more time in the braces if it meant getting the bite right.

So adults take longer, and are more unpredictable? Well... if that's what it takes, OK then. I just never thought I'd be wearing braces into my 50's. I'm thinking the same thing, I'm hoping I wasn't "low balled" too. :shock:

My daughter, who has kept pretty darn silent through all of this, finally disclosed that the elastics do hurt pretty badly. She also warned me about one assistant in the office who is a sadist, so I was happy for that intelligence report.

Chuck1026

#11 Post by Chuck1026 »

Hmm... I guess time will tell for all of us. I dread the rubber bands, but with an overbite, I believe I am destined to need to use them. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Now I am really feeling like Ortho's are salesmen. Once you are sold, you are in for the long haul - with no escape.

Lots of interesting information on here - even though some is a bit frustrating, LOL.

shekhinak

#12 Post by shekhinak »

I suppose you could go into the orthodontist's office and say, "That's it, I've had it. Take 'em off!!" But at the moment, I'd be worse off now than when I started, because my teeth didn't collide at first and my back teeth were able to touch. So yeah, we're pretty much stuck, and in for the long haul... :lol:

My lower teeth are the most messed up, and someone told me here that the lower braces hurt the most. Now that I'm on the other side of the initial pain I'm thinking, "Yeah, I can handle it. Bring it on!" I'm sure I'll be saying that until they day after they put the lower braces on. :?

I've found this website to be very helpful, and it is reassuring to hear everyone else's experiences.

kamor

#13 Post by kamor »

Thank you for the post...I am in my late 40's and have braces for the first time. I had them put on about 10 days ago, and have gone through the entire range of emotions. From extreme pain and discomfort, onto feeling very sorry for myself, then onto embarrassment, finally to acceptance. i know that my issues with TMJ will be fized and i will finally have the smile that i have always wanted. I still have to stop caring what other people think. I suspect that people will spend about 30 seconds thinking about my braces, and then move onto something else. I just have to " dig deep" and get over it. I do find it very comforting to read about other people's experiences, so please keep the posts coming. I really appreciate it and it makes me feel better, plus i am learning a lot!

shekhinak

#14 Post by shekhinak »

Kamor,

Welcome to the bracket club! :) Yes, it sounds like you've also recently gone through the stages of coming to terms with wearing braces. I could have written what you wrote, word for word.

For a while there I was really thinking, "What did I do???" And I started another thread asking if teeth collisions are common (they are), because I was really freaked out about that. Quite a few people responded to that post, for which I'm very grateful :)

I've been wearing the braces for about 3 weeks now, so I'm pretty much a newbie myself. But there is a lot to be said for the social support on this site! It really helps to know that you're not alone in what you're thinking and experiencing!

Likewise, keep us posted with how things are going with you! It looks like you've made 3 posts, so another 4 and you get to have a signature line. Then you can get a little time ticker to keep track of how long it has been since you were braced :D

kamor

#15 Post by kamor »

thanks for the encouragement, i have been asking myself, " What was i thinking?", " What have i done?". I try not to think about how long the braces will be on ( although i am expecting at least 16-18 months). My challenge at the moment is trying to find food that i can eat in public!! I have been on a very soft and liquid diet since the braces went on, and am getting a bit tired of the same food. Anyone have any suggestions on soft / liquid foods, other than the usual smoothies, ice cream etc.? I have a long road ahead with my braces and have to come up with some alternate food ideas. I'm sure at some point that i will be able to eat regular foods again, although it seems like it will be at least another few weeks, if not longer. I'm trying to look at the silver lining, I was hoping to lose a few pounds anyways, so might as well start now!