Braces at (almost) 49

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shekhinak

Re: Braces at (almost) 49

#91 Post by shekhinak »

OK, this completely blew me away... The most painful part of my ordeal with braces was actually getting the whitening.

I opted for the in-office whitening, which was more expensive than the home whitening, but I thought, "Hey, let's bring it on!" I had an appointment for a cleaning first, and then they took me to another room for the whitening. They chocked my mouth open with a device similar to the ones they use when they put the braces on in the first place. They painted a chemical on my teeth that tingled a bit, and it irritated the gums somewhat, but that wasn't too bothersome. It's done in two 20 minute courses. At the start of the second course, I started getting some EXCRUCIATING shooting pains in my lower teeth, but I figured it would end once the treatment was over. It was like getting hit by lightening bolts every 20 seconds or so.

I went home, and I was genuinely worried about driving off the road. I tried to put my retainer back in but that was very painful, and after an hour of the "jolts" my teenage daughter said, "Get in the car. I'm taking you back." I was in no shape to argue with her.

At the office the dentist gave me two full shots of novocaine, which made me feel like I had a big leather strap going around my jaw, but at least it helped ease pain. I could STILL feel the jolts though, despite all of that medication. And now that I'm thinking about it, why are the needles for a dentist's syringe so long? Gads, it looked like it was three feet long! But I didn't care at the time. Live better with chemicals!!

The whitening makes your teeth very sensitive. That was the longest I've been out of the retainer since the braces came off, so I wonder if the cause of the problem was that my teeth were starting to shift because the retainer came off. My dentist said that I'm the first person who ever came back the very same day because of the pain. I'll ask my orthodontist about that when I go in for a followup appointment.

This morning, I gingerly brushed my teeth, and then I looked in the mirror and noticed that my teeth looked red. Seems my gums were bleeding, and the blood was collecting in the retainer. I didn't eat at all yesterday, so I'm feeling very weak today.

Would I do it again? Ummm... probably not the office whitening. With the at-home treatment, they make trays that look like retainers, and you go at your own pace. If it hurts too much, you can give yourself a few days off and try again later. As it is, I have to do that for additional whitening anyway, and I'm waiting at least a few days before I start that up.

I had an aunt who used to say, "It hurts to be beautiful!" Yeah... she had that right!

Jethro

#92 Post by Jethro »

First, congrats on the debanding!

As for the sharp, shooting pains during teeth whitening, they are called "zingers" and there are countless reports on the net about this. So many in fact, that I opted for the in-home whitening kit from my dentist. The kit includes custom trays (like thin essix retainers) and a 22% carbamide peroxide whitening gel. I've had good results and very little sensitivity.

Hope your mouth is feeling better...all the best.

Jethro

Nami

#93 Post by Nami »

[quote="Breel"]Welcome elseegee! This forum is a great support. I, too, have found it to be a wealth of great information and I read it every night :)

@ SueAsh - I have had my braces on for 4 weeks now and I am doing great! My mouth is not nearly as sore as it was in the beginning and I can eat almost anything if I go slow and cut things up :) I also had an extraction of a lower central incisor and am waiting patiently for the gap to close up. Ugh! I am not nearly as self-conscience about my braces and I am about that gap right in the front. I was so worrried about only having 3 teeth in the front that I almost gave up on the braces. I like things to be symmetrical and balanced and the whole idea of not having my upper and lower center lines match up totally freaked me out. I have come to terms with it now and do not think anyone will really notice - they will just notice that my teeth are nice and straight! Do you have any pictures of your lower arch now that the gap has closed up?
My first adjustment is in 2 weeks and I cannot wait..........[/quote]

Hi Breel! Did the gap fully closed by now? I'm getting mine extracted soon and that's one of my greatest fears regarding my treatment... Did you also have a significant overjet if you don't mind me asking?

Memphisgirl1

#94 Post by Memphisgirl1 »

[quote=shekhinak post_id=383073 time=1315865635 user_id=18033]
I grew up with four siblings, and I was the only one who didn't have braces in my teen years. I've been very self conscious about my teeth for about 35 years now - but until recently I didn't have the money to do anything about it.

A few years ago my wife tried the Invisialign through our general dentist. For the most part it went well, but she did have a few problems at the end game. So I decided to give it a try, but I decided to go instead to an orthodontist.

When I went for the initial exam I decided that if they wouldn't give me the Invisalign braces - I'd just forget about the whole thing. When I asked, they gave me an awkward smile and said, "Umm... in your case, we can't recommend that." By that point, I had so much emotionally invested in getting my teeth straightened, that I think I would have agreed to full head gear for life right then and there. So, I made an appointment to get the ceramic braces.

My appointment was last Friday (September 9, 2011). To tell you the truth, I was in a "dissociative state" the whole time. I was sitting there with the lobster bib on looking at the instrument tray next to me, it was all quite surreal. When they were putting the brackets on, I just felt like I was in a regular dentist visit, though I'm not quite sure how I rationalized having all of that hardware there to keep my mouth open. When they started to snap in the arch wire, that's when reality hit me - that I was wearing braces.

I was expecting to be in a lot of pain the first week, but other than the fact that I can't bite down on anything, it really hasn't hurt any. Mastering how to floss was non-trivial, but I think I started to get the hang of that on the second day. I feel a little sheepish at work, particularly when I have to sneak off to a bathroom in the other corner of the building to brush my teeth, but hey - I'm just glad my teeth will eventually be straight!
[/quote]

Memphisgirl1

#95 Post by Memphisgirl1 »

Hey, braces @ 49. I have you beat-I'm 60!!
I asked the assistant if I was their oldest patient and she said,"Girl, naw! We have one patient who is 82!"
She's getting some dentures, partials (I assume) and they needed to fix a couple of teeth.
But I was told I needed them as a pre-teen but Mama said I flat refused! (I guess I was too
Cool for that) Our DDS, who still practices today along w/his son told Mama,"May as wait until she matures some because she needs to have some self-discipline. Even though I had several molds/X-rays, etc., over the ears, I never got them. But I sure wish I had. Looks like I may have been a little disobedient.
But I've had mine on since 10-25-17, and they have moved considerably. He hasn't mentioned a parole date, and that concerns me but once I didn't need the wax anymore, I don't have any problems except I bite on my teeth all the time because they don't meet in the right place. They're very loose.
I have a terrible overbite and the bottom teeth, while sorta straight, they form a 3 sided-square, so they're making that in to a curve, like the bottom of a circle.
My OD is awesome, the girls are great, the best folks ever. Are your assistants good?
I'm always breaking the bottom wire while flossing; do you do that? I put the floss UNDER the archwire and when I pull it out, I also pull UP, and it just breaks in two.
But our main focus is the top teeth being moved back, I even broke a bracket off and then cracked the band; which I'm sure is because I bite on my teeth
In the back all the time.
Boy, do I spit when I talk! Do you? I was talking to the guy that is painting our exterior of the house and the sun was to my right and I could SEE the spray justa' spittin!!! Lol!
Wel. Let me hear back whenever you can. I'm particularly interested in the projected end. Later!!