Newbie! :)

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wycket

Newbie! :)

#1 Post by wycket »

Hello! I'm brand-spanking new to the forum, and thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself. I'm 31 years old, and scheduled to get my braces on 01/12/10.... just a few short days away! I'm incredibly nervous (and trying not to be), and excited about the prospect of a new and improved smile! At the consult, my ortho indicated that I have Class I malocclusion and crowding (top and bottom), and suggested a treatment plan of 9-12 months.

Right now, I plan to get the Clarity SL brackets... however, after seeing a photo of the Damon clear, I would love to get those instead! I plan to speak to the ortho and see if this would be an option. Since they currently offer Damon metal, I'm really hoping perhaps they'll be getting the clear soon! (Fingers crossed)

Anyways, I really look forward to hearing about your experiences in braces, as I really have NO idea what to expect! Any/all advice is greatly appreciated and encouraged. :D

evilnel

#2 Post by evilnel »

Hi, Wycket!

Congrats on getting started! Although it was really shocking at first to have a mouth full of junk, the first day was the worst. I thought 'oh my gosh, what did I do?' but then I got used to it and now I barely notice them. I am only 3 months in but already I LOVE smiling at people and showing my chompers! The first day will be weird and you will probably feel sore, but getting them on isn't a big deal. A lot of people say they thought the lip retractors were uncomfortable or the etchant tasted bad, but I didn't experience any of that (maybe I just had a really good tech!). I haven't regretted it one bit, and I hope you have a good experience as well! Good luck! (And don't forget to post pics once they're on!).

wycket

#3 Post by wycket »

Hi evilnel, thank you for the warm welcome! I appreciate you replying, and look forward to sharing my experience -- I hope it goes as well as yours did!! It's hard to imagine how it'll feel once they're on, and it seems that's all I can think of these days!! (Obsess much?? LOL) Anyways, thanks - I am glad I found this forum... it's nice to know there are others going through the same thing!

frazali

#4 Post by frazali »

Hi Wycet -

Just wanted to let yo know I posted a photo of my 3M SL in my thread.

mikesmile

#5 Post by mikesmile »

Hi Wycket :D

Welcome to the club. Congrats for your wise decision...I'll be following your story as I'm close behind you. I'll be getting braced (tops) in Jan 22, myself - 2nd time for me. What a trip. I'm nervous & excited too! The 1st time was 25 years ago, but I can still remember the feeling in my mouth that 1st day. It will probably take you a week or so to get used to them. It's also hard to keep your tongue from playing with them. Eventually they just kind of become a part of you. :wink:

Good luck with everything on the 11th, & on your bracket selection!

mikesmile

#6 Post by mikesmile »

Oh Sorry Wycket :oops: Your appointment's on the 12th...well... Good Luck on the 12th!!! 8)

wycket

#7 Post by wycket »

Frazali - thanks again for sharing, they look great!! :D :jump:

Mikesmile - thank you for the comments! I look forward to sharing my experience and hearing from everyone on the forum... there's so much to learn! As a second-timer, I wonder how different it will be for you this time around? I'll be curious to hear how it's going for you after the 22nd! After speaking to my ortho, I will be staying with the Clarity SL, and will do my best to keep everyone posted after my appointment on the 12th! :thumbsup:

wycket

#8 Post by wycket »

Hello again! I've been braced now for about 4 hours.... and so far, so good. :thumbsup: At this point, things feel quite tight, and the top brackets seem to snag on my lips/cheeks once in a while, but overall I am feeling pretty good! Better than I thought I would, to be quite honest.

I'll work on getting photos uploaded soon, along with more details!

I'm hoping the rest of my evening goes smoothly, and remains relatively pain-free!!

Boohill

#9 Post by Boohill »

Congratulations wycket
I’m glad everything went smoothly for you. Welcome to the club. :-1 How are you feeling today? Today is day #3 for me and I feel loads of pressure and all of my teeth feel loose. :soremouth: It’s very uncomfortable to chew. I cant wait to get pass this stage and be able to eat again.

wycket

#10 Post by wycket »

Thanks very much, boohill! :-88 I understand completely how you are feeling!!! It's so strange, and I too hope it passes quickly!

As for me, I am feeling quite a bit of pressure today, and just touching the bottom of my front teeth with my tongue makes me say OUCH!! :shock: Brushing my teeth this morning with my new Oral B was a bit intense, as well. I don't feel any looseness yet, in fact they feel so tight I'm wondering how I'll manage to get floss in there anywhere!

I've been loading up on Advil and wax, and doing my best to just grin and bear it! :HugeGrin: Hope things continue to improve for you, and for me too!

petitcanard

#11 Post by petitcanard »

Welcome to the club!! :D The first couple weeks were the most difficult for me, just trying to re-learn how to eat, dealing with some soreness and rubbing, and in generl just trying to get used to the new hardware!! I'm sure you'll get used to them quickly, and re tightness, my bottoms were so tight I had a heck of a time flossing that first week - thought for sure I'd break something! - but after that things started to shift and now flossing is much easier. Good luck!

My story lives here

wycket

#12 Post by wycket »

Appreciate the welcome, petitcanard! Indeed, I'm finding things are quite a bit more uncomfortable today, but take some comfort in knowing it means something is actually happening!! :wink: So far, the wax has kept any irritation to a minimum, and for that I am grateful! Baby steps, right?!? :lol: Thanks for the input - I really appreciate it!

brendap27

#13 Post by brendap27 »

mikesmile wrote: I'll be getting braced (tops) in Jan 22, myself - 2nd time for me. What a trip. I'm nervous & excited too! The 1st time was 25 years ago, but I can still remember the feeling in my mouth that 1st day.
Hi mikesmile,

I just got my second set too. I just realized that my first were over 30 years ago! What I recall about my first ones were that they were the kind that had the brackets that went all the way around the teeth like we now have on our molars, except it was on every tooth. The spacers were agony because they put them between every one of my teeth rather than just the back ones. After having those, the set I have now seem like nothing! I think they're just smaller in every sense - they don't go around the teeth, they aren't as big and they don't seem to stick out as far as the old ones did.

wycket

#14 Post by wycket »

Hi Ken!

Thanks for the comment! Today is day #3, and I'm slowly adjusting to the pile of ceramic and metal in my mouth! :D I have kept things well-waxed, so no rubbing or irritation (knock on wood). My pain/tenderness is in the actual teeth, and even Advil can't seem to keep it knocked down for long. I am looking forward to some relief in the days ahead! :soremouth:

mikesmile

#15 Post by mikesmile »

Hi wycket :D

...a belated Congratulations :-)o I know you're already a few days in, now. Most of your discomfort should subside inside of a week. No Pain - No Gain!!!...right? So,it's been a long time since my first stint in braces, but I can still remember the discomfort of that first week or so. Remember I'm right behind you :wink: and in a week will be feeling my own initial reactions. Am I ready? :roll: ...hmmmm...

Remember if you need to vent or report, we're all here.