Hello Everybody!!! 23 and getting braced in 5 days!!!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Miranda86

Hello Everybody!!! 23 and getting braced in 5 days!!!

#1 Post by Miranda86 »

Hello everybody! I am 23 years young and I am getting braced on October 21st!!! 5 days away!! Yay! I recently had my 4 pre molars extracted last week and now I am patiently waiting to get my braces!! My orthodontist is applying the top braces next week then the bottom the week after. Why is he splitting this up? Because I would have to sit in the chair forever or to lessen the pain? Did anybody else have to do this? Also I can't get colors until my first follow up visit :( darn I wanted orange and black for Halloween! HA! Please let me know what I should expect...I was told to apply a lot of chapstick on my lips before hand because your lips get really dry. I need all the tips and help I can get. Thanks so much!!

switchblades

#2 Post by switchblades »

Hi there, congrats on the big day tomorrow! I got mine on last October when I was 22, and got them off last week.

Mine were split up for a few reasons; I got my uppers on in October and then my lowers in December because of my bite. My upper teeth overlap my lowers because I have a pretty bad overbite, and to prevent damage to the brackets and the teeth he held off until we could get my upper incisors aligned a bit. Also, it is about an hour per arch to bracket and wire everything, and a lot of discomfort. I can't imagine having both done at once!

As for tips, I recommend lots of wax for the first few days, take some ibuprofen (Advil) about an hour before your appointment (I did this for every adjustment actually) and stock up on soft foods - you will likely not be able to eat much with a heavier consistency than mashed potatoes for the first few days to week. Get lots of rest, because it helps your body deal with the trauma better - because that's really what this whole thing is, when you think about it hehe.

I also recommend carrying a water bottle and chapstick with you at all times, your mouth and lips will get super dry!
Initial Consult: August 22nd, 2008
Upper Arch Bracketed: October 22nd, 2008
Lower Arch Bracketed: December 3rd, 2008
Debraced: October 15th, 2009

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Miranda86

#3 Post by Miranda86 »

switchblades...thank you soo very much for the information!!! I was thinking the same thing about the top and bottom braces..less pain! I am glad I am doing the top first and them bottom next week. I have a hour and a half to go until I have a top grill!! Yippie!! I just took a pain pill too. I will post pics too of my progress!! :)