Braces without extraction anyone?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

single&braces

Braces without extraction anyone?

#1 Post by single&braces »

hi all,

Finally after years of thinking and getting enough fund and thinking again, I have make the plunge to em'brace' it.

My doc is going to have a theraputic method on me as I'm very resistant of abstracting my teeth. I have overbite (not the main reason I get braces as it doesnt affect me) and jetting front teeth. I just want my front few teeth to be pushed back and hence my doctor suggested to put expander on upper to expand the arch for couple of months, then maybe file my teeth to create more space if the space from expanded arch is not enough. If I'm still not statisfied, then only will he suggest to extract molar.

I just had my seprators in yesterday so far its been ok.
Have anyone gone through or going through similar procedure as mine to share his/her experience?

amandad09

#2 Post by amandad09 »

I guess you could say my situation is kinda similar.....

I did not want to have surgery so I have gone with what my ortho refers to as a "compromised" result. I am still not entirely clear as to what that means exactly but my best guess is that I will have a more aestetically pleasing smile but will still have issues such as a narrower upper jaw, overbite, receeding lower jaw, etc.

My course of treatment was to have an expander with a minimal amount of turning to avoid tipping of the teeth too much to compromise the root structure. I turned my expander once a day for 2 weeks, a slight gap opened up and my jaw expanded about 3-4mm without surgery or extractions. I may have to have two upper extractions, my ortho is just kind of taking it as it goes and will reevaluate when the time comes.

I look forward to learning more about your course of treatment! Try to post some pics to give us an idea of what you started with.

Good luck! :D
My Journey with Braces: http://bracingit.blogspot.com/
(updated: 11/9/10)

1/15/09: Lower Braces, Upper 4 brackets
1/27/09: Upper Palate Expander
2/25/09: 3 Teeth Extracted
6/22/09: EXPANDER WAS REMOVED!!!! =]
11/9/10: Cross Elastic Started
10/19/11: Next Adjustment

single&braces

#3 Post by single&braces »

amanda09,

Yes that is also what my ortho is suggesting. As mine is not really serious case ( well to him overbite need to be corrected, and I'm vainer ) I just have braces on my lower, it hurts. Doctor have taken an impression for my upper to do the expander. I didnt know I have to turn it once a day.

How long have u been wearing yours amanda? My doctor also using the same approach as yours, take as it goes and evaluate after 6 months if I need filing of the teeth to gain more space or extraction.

Its only been one day and I'm starting to wonder why do I put myself through this. Harder when I'm trying to date!

I havent figure out how to post pictures yet. Maybe we could stay in touch amanda?

xoxo
Single&braces

single&braces

#4 Post by single&braces »

opps sorry, just seen that you have a blog and wearing braces for 5 months.
still figure how to use this forum!

cheers,
single&braces

single&braces

#5 Post by single&braces »

I also have a question. Im using ceramic braces both upper and lower. But when I have my lwoer installed today, I notice the braces is not as clear as I though. As in you can see this metal thingy in the middle the bracket, as opposed to the one that I saw in yours, clear crystal bracket only with wire.
My ortho said the metal thingy in the middle of the bracket is to hold the wire and will fade, is that true?

I'm really conscious bout having it put on my upper teeth next week :(

amandad09

#6 Post by amandad09 »

So sorry for not responding sooner... I just now saw this! :lol:
Have you gotten your expander yet?

I am not sure about the metal piece in your ceramic brackets... I'd just go with what your ortho said about it fading. No worries!

I know it is hard, but try not to get too down on yourself. The end result with be worth it! :D
My Journey with Braces: http://bracingit.blogspot.com/
(updated: 11/9/10)

1/15/09: Lower Braces, Upper 4 brackets
1/27/09: Upper Palate Expander
2/25/09: 3 Teeth Extracted
6/22/09: EXPANDER WAS REMOVED!!!! =]
11/9/10: Cross Elastic Started
10/19/11: Next Adjustment