33 and getting braces in a couple of weeks

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shdejones

33 and getting braces in a couple of weeks

#1 Post by shdejones »

Hello People,
I am new to the site and will be getting braces for the first time in a couple of weeks. I have known I’ve needed braces since I was about 14 but I put up such a fuss javascript:emoticon(':evil:') about the getting braces (typical childhood fears and concerns) that my mother did not make me get them. I think she wanted to teach me a hard lesson. So I had to learn the hard way that Mom always knows best. Boy, do I regret my teenage stubbornness, especially since I know have to pay bill myself.

So I had my initial consultation on September 10, 2008 or so I thought. My ortho must have sensed my apprehension and encouraged me to have the records done that day. I figured it was now or never so I did it. The braces will correct the crowding in my lower and upper teeth as well as an overbite from years of thumb sucking (Don’t worry I gave this up years ago javascript:emoticon(':D')). Did I mention that I have a lisp? I go back on September 26 for the treatment plan and to sign the contract. My journey with braces will begin in a few weeks. I must admit that I was absolutely terrified about the prospect of getting braces at the ripe age of 33 but my fears have started to subside after having read about your experiences. I look forward to sharing my experience with you over the next two years. I will upload pictures soon and more details after my next visit.

:lol: :D

Flaka

#2 Post by Flaka »

Welcome and congrats on taking the steps to get braced! I am 30 and I just got braced 5 months ago. I was one of those thumb suckers :oops: and that is the main cause I have a crossbite and now I am on my way to correct it.
Look forward to hearing (reading) what your otho's plan is for you.

Take care,

Cyn

Audra

#3 Post by Audra »

Welcome to archwired! There is a lot of information and support here.

I started my journey 10 weeks ago at the age of 41. It's exciting to make these changes for ourselves.

Keep us posted on your journey!

Audra

Toni

#4 Post by Toni »

Congratulations on your decision!
I'm 44 and my braces go on next Monday. We can count down together.
I'll be braced for 2 years, how about you?
**Brace Day was September 22 - Ouch!**
**Member of the AW TADA club**

shdejones

#5 Post by shdejones »

Toni wrote:Congratulations on your decision!
I'm 44 and my braces go on next Monday. We can count down together.
I'll be braced for 2 years, how about you?
I will be braced for 2 years as well. So we will become best buds.
Shannon
So Many Books, So Little Time

Toni

#6 Post by Toni »

shdejones wrote: I will be braced for 2 years as well. So we will become best buds.
Shannon
Yep! When do your braces go on?

I like your quote, and I agree completely. :D

shdejones

#7 Post by shdejones »

Well, I had three spacers placed on September 10th and I must say they SUCK. My teeth are still tender so I have been playing it safe by eating soft foods.

B DAY is October 15th. I am getting the traditional braces and I will have to wear them for 2 years. My Ortho says that treatment time could be reduced to 1.5 years if I do everything she tells me to do. I'm shooting for the 1.5 years.

I will be posting a few images real soon.

Smiles from the Library
Toni wrote:
shdejones wrote: I will be braced for 2 years as well. So we will become best buds.
Shannon
Yep! When do your braces go on?

I like your quote, and I agree completely. :D

signingsunflower

Welcome!

#8 Post by signingsunflower »

Hey! I'm 29 and also had my initial consult and records done on Sept. 10th! I'm getting braced on Oct. 24th. How are things going? Have you been braced yet? What's your sentence? I can't wait to get everything on my teeth and get started!!!
Check out my blog by clicking on www.
Initial Consult/Molds: 9/10/08
8 Spacers: 10/17/08
Brace Day: 10/24/08
First Adjustment: 12/5/08
Sentence: 2-3 years

shdejones

I have survived Day 2

#9 Post by shdejones »

I finally got my braces placed on October 15 and I am adjusting okay. It is giong to take me a while to get adjusted to having so much metal in my mouth.

My current goal is to figure out how to eat with these things on. My first meal after getting the braces on was hard. Eating is definitely going to take some practice. i thought I would starve the first day. I hope it gets better because I don't want to exist on yogurt, applesauce, jello, and mash potatoes.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with you.

Shannon

Toni

#10 Post by Toni »

I'm almost a month in now and to be honest while I don't enjoy eating as much as I used to I can eat most things without too much trouble. I still don't really bite into things but that's mostly because I feel like I can't pull with my front teeth. But I can bite off burritos and toast, stuff like that. I still can't manage a sandwich though. Except if I cut it up...which I do. :)

It does get a lot better after the first two weeks. Hang in there!