questions about new braces

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

krzygrlm

questions about new braces

#1 Post by krzygrlm »

hey all! Love the site - it's been a great help and source of comfort. I am 28 yr old and just got braced (top) 3 days ago. I am curious about drinking pop, coffee and alcohol - my ortho seemed to be in a hurry and is over 2 hrs away - do i need to brush as soon as i finish drinking or can it wait until after my next meal? i really don't want staining or rotting as this was a huge decision (promise i'll post pics soon, i have extremely bad teeth) :roll:

ckrobyn

Re: questions about new braces

#2 Post by ckrobyn »

krzygrlm wrote:hey all! Love the site - it's been a great help and source of comfort. I am 28 yr old and just got braced (top) 3 days ago. I am curious about drinking pop, coffee and alcohol - my ortho seemed to be in a hurry and is over 2 hrs away - do i need to brush as soon as i finish drinking or can it wait until after my next meal? i really don't want staining or rotting as this was a huge decision (promise i'll post pics soon, i have extremely bad teeth) :roll:
Congrats on your new braces - you are on your way to a perfect smile!

I have ceramic braces top and bottom, so I am careful about staining them with coffee and soda. I do indulge in coffee and do not run to brush my teeth right away - so far there is no staining. Do you have metal or ceramic braces? If you have metal you have nothing to worry about as far as staining is concerned.

I brush my teeth when I get up in the morning, after each meal and before I go to bed. Unless you want to brush more often - this works well for me :)

krzygrlm

#3 Post by krzygrlm »

Thanks! I have ceramic on top and will be getting metal on the bottom in a few months - minimum estimated treatment time 24 months. Thanks for the info, I didn't really think liquids would be a problem as long as I still brush regularly (4-5 x day) - but all the info i got was for kids and says soda and stuff will permanently damage my teeth (scary!!) :shock:

ladybug0330

#4 Post by ladybug0330 »

I suggest just swishing a little water around in your mouth after your last sip. :)