New to ArchWired

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Aoide

New to ArchWired

#1 Post by Aoide »

Hello all. My name is Laurie and I am from Houston, TX. I am so glad I found this place. I am 36 years old and definitely have a fear of the dentist. I had not been in 20+ years, but thanks to the Dental Phobia board I went back last year. Luckily I found an amazing and caring dentist and going in has been easy. The doctor said everything was pretty good for not having been in so long.

But I have always had crooked teeth and always wished I had straight ones. So now here I am. I just made an appointment with an orthodontist for a consultation in two weeks. I'm scared, and excited and nervous. I can't imagine the prospect of having to wear these for two years and have no idea if I can afford all this. But the best part is finding this place where I can read stories and get encouragement and ask questions. So thanks and I'm sure I will be around a great deal.

Cheers.

AngelRuse

#2 Post by AngelRuse »

Heyas! I'm new here too. I share your feelings about dentistry. :wink: I'm definitely not a regular customer...because of money AND general fear. But you know, after having gone through stuff like extractions, installation of the braces, I've found it's not really as scary as I imagined. The anticipation seems worse than the going through...thanks to the grace of painkilling drugs, partly. :wink:

It'll be so worth it when you get through it though. And the best thing about being an adult with braces is time seems to fly faster when you're older. LOL. :

angel84

#3 Post by angel84 »

Hi and welcome to AW! Congrats on conquering your fear of dentist. And also for taking the first step twards a beautiful smile. Trust me, the 2 weeks will seem like it takes forever to get here and then when it does seem like it was fast. LOL. As far as money goes, a lot of places will work with you on payment. You know what they say: "If there is a will, there is a way. " :D Good luck!
*SKYE aka Amanda* 25, Army wife and Mommy of 5 ages 10, 5, 3, 19 months, and due in December! :)

ckrobyn

#4 Post by ckrobyn »

Glad to know I am not the only one who despises the dentist! Truth is, I am really scared of the dentist, the needles, the drills and anything else dental related :shock:

My journey really began this past October at a visit to the dentist because I thought I had a hole in one of my wisdom teeth that had broken through 20 years ago but I refused to have extracted. The dentist told me that the wisdom tooth was seriously decayed and it needed to come out. In addition the lower wisdom tooth had to come out too as it was always inflamed. I panicked!!!! Long story short, I was referred to an excellent oral surgeon and the following week I was minus those 2 wisdom teeth! Although I was totally freaked out, I refused all sedation and went with local freezing only and got through it just fine. Once I realized that I had finally conquered my dentist fear, I decided I wanted to start taking care of my teeth.

Fast forward to June 2008. Because I avoided the dentist at all cost (didn't see one in over 7 years!) I had 8 cavities that had to be filled. As of last Tuesday I am happy to report that I am cavity free! I have had all of my fillings and a full deep cleaning and all that is left is my braces which will be put on this coming Wednesday.

Like you, I am excited and terrified all at the same time. What keeps me going is that I know I am going to have a million dollar smile when all of this is done. I have never had a smile I could be proud of, so it is a goal worth working towards :D

You have taken the important first steps and I wish you all the best in your journey to a beautiful smile!!!

snowy0024

#5 Post by snowy0024 »

Hi everyone. I too am new to this wonderful site. 6 days and counting until my brace day. Spacers have been in for a little over a week and they drive me crazy. My tounge is so sore from rubbing them all the time. I hope I'm going to be able to handle braces if these little rubber rings are bugging me out all ready. Boy, I hope so.
I'm getting braces because I had 4 molars pulled when I was a little girl and never did anything about the gaps. When my wisdom teeth came in they pushed the molars to an angle and my dentist said if It isn't fixed they keep angling untill the root is sticking out. I'm 38 and had no idea that I'd be doing this at this age.
Good luck to all of you and thank you all for being here.

LaLaDee

#6 Post by LaLaDee »

Aoide - Hi and welcome to AW! You'll love it here - everyone is so supportive. Good luck on your journey! :)

rellsmommy

I'm new too!

#7 Post by rellsmommy »

I am so glad to have found this website. I am a 24 year old mother of 2. I have been in braces (regular metal) for over a year. I had to get 4 teeth extracted when I first got them on and now I'm in elastics (triangles). I have 1 to 1 1/2 years left and so ready for my smile to hurry up and move into place. If anybody could give me some pointers to navigate the website I would really appreciate it!!!!

mary.

Welcome

#8 Post by mary. »

Hi Laurie... welcome to AW!! We look forward to hearing more from you.

Your story is very similar to mine. I have a huge fear of all medical offices, and in fact have blacked out or fainted in every one... dentist, hospital, doctor, optometrist, blood donor clinic, even just from people talking about an operation (feel free to laugh away, I do... once I come to that is haha). I had not gone to the dentist in about 10 years but finally did two years ago and all is back on track.

I then took the plunge and got braces 10 months ago. You might have noticed that I did not list the ortho office in my list above. It is the one I feared most, and turned out the be the one where things have gone the smoothest. I have not even broken out into a sweat. Seriously, it is soooo much easier than I thought it would be. There is an adjustment period, it's a big change to your system. Give yourself some time to adjust, and go ahead and take some advil or tylonol of you are feeling it. But don't worry, it will get much much better and you'll be feeling fine and eating well in no time!