Got braces for my 40th

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bracefacegal

Got braces for my 40th

#1 Post by Bracefacegal »

Hi. I'm new to the board and I got my braces June 4th, 2008. I am being treated for a deep bite, as well as issues with grinding and wear and chipping on my front teeth.

I have ceramic braces on top and metal on the bottom. Treatment time is about 10-12 months. Didn't qualify for invisiline as my teeth are too small!

I'm finding the experience a bit uncomfortable, and I can't even begin to tell you what I feel about the food issues I'm experiencing. I hope it gets a bit more comfortable, but for now, I'm :? about these things!

TheNewEmperor

#2 Post by TheNewEmperor »

Yaay for Bracefacegal...you won't regret your decision.

Every time your teeth ache or you feel fed up just remember it is because your teeth are moving and that is changing your bite at a very deep level...so it's all good!

BraceMouse

Welcome to the over 40 crowd

#3 Post by BraceMouse »

Hi Bracefacegal,

Welcome to the club! There seem to be quite a few of us in their early 40's going through this. I'm 41 and will be braced for the first time July 8th.
Congrats on the the nice short treatment time!

Juliette

Bracefacegal

Thanks!

#4 Post by Bracefacegal »

Thanks all! I'm very sore today and feel like I want to pull my teeth out. I'm a bit of a suck when it comes to ortho pain and I'm not enjoying this at all. I'm keeping an eye on the larger picture, but man, what a ride.

I must say, brushing 5-6 times a day is quite the adjustment!
It's never too late to fix your smile! :)

TheNewEmperor

#5 Post by TheNewEmperor »

5-6 times a day?? isn't that a bit excessive? you need to be very careful that you don't brush away at your gumline if you are going to brush that often.

my dentist just told me to brush after meals, floss at least once a day (usually though I do it after brushing coz my mouth has loads of hidey holes for food to get lodged) and use fluroide rinse every evening.

best wishes

gsb126

#6 Post by gsb126 »

Hi Bracefacegal! I, too, got braces for my 40th. Well, it was two months after my 40th, but who's counting?

The second day, I was totally miserable, and wondering why I thought getting braces would be a good idea. Things got steadily better until I got my lowers on in May, then the whole adjustment process started over again. I have a very small mouth (contrary to what my friends and family believe) and the back brackets have really torn up my cheeks. Even the wax doesn't seem to help. Most days, I can deal with it. Some days, it's just no fun.

On the positive, I am excited about the changes and how quickly they are happening. The time seems to be going by pretty fast, too. I love ice cream, and the braces give me an excuse to eat it 2-3 times per week without feeling guilty. Record heat here in central Texas gives me yet another reason.

Hang in there, it does get better overall. :)
40th birthday gift to me - Braces and getting fit! Some days, getting fit is the easier part.
:-)

Damon 3/SureSmile

Bracefacegal

#7 Post by Bracefacegal »

TheNewEmperor wrote:5-6 times a day?? isn't that a bit excessive? you need to be very careful that you don't brush away at your gumline if you are going to brush that often.

my dentist just told me to brush after meals, floss at least once a day (usually though I do it after brushing coz my mouth has loads of hidey holes for food to get lodged) and use fluroide rinse every evening.

best wishes
I eat many small meals and find I need to brush after I eat anything...can't just let the gunge accumulate like that.

I've noticed my gumline receding a bit, so I may lay off the 5 times a day brushing. My ortho said about 4 times a day should do it....

Bracefacegal

#8 Post by Bracefacegal »

gsb126 wrote:Hi Bracefacegal! I, too, got braces for my 40th. Well, it was two months after my 40th, but who's counting?

The second day, I was totally miserable, and wondering why I thought getting braces would be a good idea. Things got steadily better until I got my lowers on in May, then the whole adjustment process started over again. I have a very small mouth (contrary to what my friends and family believe) and the back brackets have really torn up my cheeks. Even the wax doesn't seem to help. Most days, I can deal with it. Some days, it's just no fun.

On the positive, I am excited about the changes and how quickly they are happening. The time seems to be going by pretty fast, too. I love ice cream, and the braces give me an excuse to eat it 2-3 times per week without feeling guilty. Record heat here in central Texas gives me yet another reason.

Hang in there, it does get better overall. :)
I could have written this exact post. My back cheeks are a mess at the moment and get caught on my brackets all the time.

I've gotten used to the braces, but not diggin' the experience. Eating is a chore and brushing another pain, but I can't stand food particles in my mouth.

I was told brushing 5-6 times a day is a bit excessive....but I eat many small meals instead of 3 big meals so I need to brush whatever is out of my mouth.

Would rinsing be OK instead? In place of two brushings and just brush after meals and bed time?

gsb126

#9 Post by gsb126 »

I agree about needing to brush after meals. My mouth feels totally gross! :? I typically eat three small meals per day, and two snacks - one mid morning and the other mid afternoon. I brush after the meals, but just rinse (or swish, usually) after the snacks. That seems to work pretty well for me. I also swish during a meal so the food doesn't stack up - boy, does that seem to happen a lot! Word of advice about swishing: use water. I noticed my teeth were taking on a slight yellow tinge, which freaked me out until I realized that I shouldn't be swishing with iced tea. :shock:

You know, on the not-so-good days, I just don't have the energy to eat much. My appetite hasn't changed, but I just get worn out trying to eat. The bright side is I'm losing a little weight. :D
40th birthday gift to me - Braces and getting fit! Some days, getting fit is the easier part.
:-)

Damon 3/SureSmile

Bracefacegal

#10 Post by Bracefacegal »

I agree, it IS so exhausting to eat! I give up halfway through the meal...who has time to devote 45 minutes to eating a plate of food?