About assistant changing ligature

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PigletInIowa

#16 Post by PigletInIowa »

MsViola,
Thanks for sharing your experience!!! I'm just wondering when did your ortho start to close your gaps? And did you have 2 extractions or 4 extractions? It sounds like there are quite a feel ppl have their gaps closed starting from the very beginning. I just can't wait for that moment...

MsViola

#17 Post by MsViola »

Initially, I had a few small gaps which closed within 4 months (all except a tiny one between my bottom front teeth - extra gum tissue is making that a "slow go"). It was amazing but like I said they were small gaps to begin with. I never really noticed them until they closed up :D

I had 2 premolars and 2 wisdom teeth extracted in Dec. 07. Those spaces (pre-molars) are closing slowly but he assures me they will close. Whenever possible I get bright powerchains because I think it makes people look at that instead of the gaps. People probably aren't even paying attention but you know how "we braced People" can be :roll: We are so important EVERYONE pays attention to us :biglaf:

Anyway, I have confidence in my Ortho...............I know a lot of people that have/are using him. I have made a point not to second guess everything he does.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

PigletInIowa

#18 Post by PigletInIowa »

I see. I really trusted my ortho at the beginning, basically whatever he said, I didn't even give it a second thought, and also didn't do any online search. But now with time goes by, and after looking at my teeth basically every 5 min, I just couldn't figure out how the gaps can close, I mean, with enough teeth to close it. I saw enough people have gaps closed, so I know the teeth can move to close, but I just don't think after the extraction, I have enough teeth to do it:( even though my ortho told me he thought he should have no problem closing it, but there is a slight chance there might be 1mm gap left, but I'm not sure if it is after IPR(shaving enamel) of the lower teeth or not, since now I am willing to do anything to make it happen... MsViola, did your ortho tell you how long will it take to close your gaps?

MsViola

#19 Post by MsViola »

Piglet stay out of the mirror, it will make you crazy :crazy: I know I did it at first to0 :oops: Seriously, don't look everytime you see a mirror or stop at a red light.

No, he never gave me an exact amount of time..originally rough estimate of 24-30 months. I am up to 36 months now. Dang, saying that is depressing :cry:

However, when I made the comment a couple of adjustments ago that I would be in braces "forever", he said "not forever but awhile". I knew the length of my treatment would be dependent on the time it took to close the gaps. I am not worried about not having enough teeth. My overbite started out 10mm so I have room to move. I haven't had him measure but I would guess I am at a 7 or 6 mm now (i use the tongue test :lol: )
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

PigletInIowa

#20 Post by PigletInIowa »

Yeah, that's true, I should restrain myself from thinking about this whole braces thing, but it's hard because it's constantly in my mouth and I know it's there. Since I have the ceramic braces, it's really not that obvious to other people, but I know it's there. I'm not that self-conscious about the appearance of my teeth that much, but it's just so uncomfortable and I'm always having doubt now about whether I made the right decision of having my 2 premolars extracted: my overjet is only about 7mm (measured by myself), I could have Invisalign with IPR (promised to correct 50% of my overjet), but instead I chose the full braces with 2 pre-molar extraction... But now the teeth are gone, so I have to stick with it for the rest of the 2 years of my sentence....Now I just wish everything will turn out fine and both my gaps can close completely...Let's both hang in there!
Cheers!

shoezy

#21 Post by shoezy »

MsViola wrote:Again, I can relate. I am just now adjusting to the extraction gaps from December. At first I thought everyone was looking at them. I finally got over that but I am constantly measuring the spaces with my tongue. I keep asking "will they ever close???".

My Ortho keeps telling me they will. Now he is strongly addressing the problem, and I am going in 4 weeks instead of 6 weeks. Hopefully, I will see real progress soon.

Hang in there! Isn't it nice to talk to people who really "understand" :lol:

:lol:
I used to do that so much, measure with tongue - was it ever restless! Consequence? Cut-up tongue from the cleats :ThumbsDown:

PigletInIowa,
Keep us posted with your progress and good luck on your journey :jump:

-S

----------
braces on: Feb 2005
braces off: Nov 2008

PigletInIowa

#22 Post by PigletInIowa »

Thanks, shoezy! I will keep you guys updated!

Lola

#23 Post by Lola »

Hi there
Back to your original worry about the assistant changing your ligs...the assisstnat in my orthos office does EVERYTHING. Apart from putting on the brackets, she has been the one to wire me up, cahnge ligs, clip the wire and so on.
And regarding the lig change... I change my own! Yup, i have ceramic brackets too and was given extra ligs to do it myself. Since I am nowhere near as qualified as your assistant(!) and I've had no problems whatsoever I'm sure you'll be just fine!

PigletInIowa

#24 Post by PigletInIowa »

Thanks a lot, Lola! That's really reassuring! But I guess I'll not have the gut to change the lig myself. It hurts! ;)