I'm new!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jax1491

I'm new!

#1 Post by jax1491 »

Hello! I feel kind of strange posting here because I'm not technically an "adult", but I find a lot of the information useful and I've seen a few younger people hanging around. I just got my braces put on about a week ago, and I think I'm going to start documenting my progress so maybe I'll post it here.

I'm starting to get used to the whole braces idea, and I'm not totally worried about it anymore, but it's kind of awkward for me because I'm a junior in high school. I find that most people tend to get braces around 6th or 7th grade or later on in life. I'm in that awkward in between age where not many people are wearing braces. I have amazing friends who make me feel a whole lot better about the whole experience, though. And I also know a girl who is almost exactly my age who is getting braces very shortly, so that helps.

I have Damon braces on both my bottom and upper teeth. Now I'm finally getting used to them, but I'm worried about the next step in my process which will be about six to nine months from now when I have to get all four impacted wisdom teeth removed and my two top baby canines pulled. I'm going to have my adult canines pulled down by the braces. I know it's different for everyone, but the part that scares me most is that it might take quite a while until the gaps are filled with my adult teeth. I'm a performer (actress/singer) so all this is especially hard for me. I'll also be getting rubberbands to fix my overbite.

So far braces haven't been too unkind to me. My mouth was sore as expected, but it's fine now. The pressure is still kind of weird and certain wires and brackets still poke me, but wax helps immensely. I hate how food gets stuck, but whatever...it's not the end of the world. And I can't bite into anything right now. If all goes well, I should have my braces on for two to two and a half years. I believe the actual projected duration was 28 months.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. :D

catfish

#2 Post by catfish »

Welcome to AW, jax1491! I also have Damons top and bottom. But at 48, I'm quite a bit older than you. We probably share the fact that we're about the only ones wearing braces in our worlds, though. I'm the only person in braces where I work, although another woman recently had her braces removed.

I had my wisdom teeth removed years ago, and the experience wasn't really too bad. The worst part was that I ended up with a shiner from one of the upper wisdom teeth, and people kept teasing my boyfriend (now husband) of hitting me! He was a sport about it though, and everyone knew it was really from the extraction. I will be getting one of my lower front teeth removed soon, but I expect it to go smoothly, too.

I don't have any other advice for you, other than to note how many people on AW had braces at your age, then had to have them again years later since they didn't wear their retainers. It's a good reminder for all of us how important that step is.

Good luck with your braces journey!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

holly0841

#3 Post by holly0841 »

I can relate to your story although I am 34! I too have both canines impacted and currently ortho making space for the two impacted canines to come down. The baby teeth are gone and I look pretty crazy with all the gaps in my mouth. Be glad you can take care of this situation at your age, I have hated my teeth all my life and once the baby teeth came out it was awful! I wore a prosthetic but had to take it in and out and it came out periodically when I ate so I decided to forget it and just get it done!

Good luck in your journey, you can find others like you by looking for the post in the metal mouth forum that is titled "Impacted Canines Club" There is actually alot of us out there with this problem and you can follow others stories who have been through this already. Welcome to AW!
Braced 3/11/08 Uppers
Braced 11/08 Lowers
2 Impacted Canines
Surgery 03/06/09 for exposure of teeth # 6 & #11

shoezy

#4 Post by shoezy »

Hi jax1491,

Damons for me also... AW definitely great site to track progress from what I've read/seen.
Best of luck with everything, cheers!

-S

----------
braces on: Feb 2005
braces off: Nov 2008

BraceMouse

maybe a couple of "fake" teeth?

#5 Post by BraceMouse »

I will have one center bottom tooth pulled, and my ortho is planning on putting a fake tooth there. Maybe you can have the same thing? I'm not sure what will happen as the gap closes, but I'm relieve that at least for some time, I won't have a huge gap on the bottom.

I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth pulled when I was 22. It wasn't the best experience of my life, but I made it. Just make sure you have someone to take care of you and they give you good paid medicine. And no matter how much you crave something chewy, hold off--stick to soft food for bit. Pizza sounded so good to me, but was I sorry...