Orthognathic Surgery scheduled 9 June 2008

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nullalux

Orthognathic Surgery scheduled 9 June 2008

#1 Post by nullalux »

Just an intro post.

I am 33 and am excited and apprehensive to finally be having orthognathic surgery. :shock: It was recommended eight years ago, but at the time, I opted for orthodontia only. I wore a twin-block retainer to bring my mandible forward and widen my maxillar parabola, then braces for a couple of years. It helped close my open bite, but I still had occasional issues with uneven bite pressure and mild retrognathia.

Last year, I met with a maxillofacial surgeon and decided to go forward with the surgery. She said I only needed a mandibular osteotomy and genioplasty (a relief, as my old doctor recommended both upper and lower). My braces were put on in November of last year. I don't like them very much. :wink: My orthodontist is making the final models on 16 May, and I'll deliver them to my oral surgeon on 19 May so that she can make the splint. My pre-op appointment is on 30 May, and I'm getting a bit fretful that I won't be able to ask all my questions until just a week before the surgery.

holly0841

#2 Post by holly0841 »

Although I cannot relate to your story as I have different mouth issues I too have surgery coming up to bring down my impacted canines. I am 34 so we are close in age. I'm sure that you, like me, wish this were done when we were in our teen years like everyone else but it is exciting to finally get this taken care of. Good luck with upcoming surgery, it sounds like it will be quite extensive but I bet the end result will be worth it. Keep us all posted on how the surgery goes.
Braced 3/11/08 Uppers
Braced 11/08 Lowers
2 Impacted Canines
Surgery 03/06/09 for exposure of teeth # 6 & #11