Hello! Braces on tomorrow & a quick question..

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Leslie

Hello! Braces on tomorrow & a quick question..

#1 Post by Leslie »

I am headed to the ortho tomorrow for my "new look"! I am 37 years old & have wanted braces for as long as I can remember- I almost had braces put on when I was 21 but the expense held me back. My biggest worry is that, as an outside sales person, a lot of people, mainly prospective new clients, will look at my face and will be distracted by my braces as I am speaking. I'll have ceramics on top & metal on the bottom. Today I'm having my permanent onlay "installed", the last of my prep-work.

Quick question: Which are the best lig's for ceramic braces? My ortho's assistant said smoke and I've also read on this site about light blue. I should stick to the discreet colors for now because of my work, although all the other cool colors seem more fun. Any suggestions???

I am SO appreciative of this site & reading everybody's input and experiences. I look forward to getting to know you all!

:D Leslie

[/i]

Kevin

Hello

#2 Post by Kevin »

Hello from another northwesterner. :)

Honestly, there is no need to be concerned about braces and your line of work. Most people won't notice and those that do will say nothing (because it's not a big deal to them) or they'll have positive comments. I have all metal braces and have had full powerchains for the past 3-4 months at least. I always pick colors and smile a lot and people still don't notice (or don't care).

Congrats on getting braces! They'll have absolutely no impact on your job unless you let them. ;)

Kevin

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

Depending on what sort of food you eat, Smoke colored ligs work best on the ceramics, in my opinon.

I like to eat curry (which stains the ligs in an instant). But with the smoke color, it takes 2 or 3 curry meals before the staining is apparent, and even then it's subtle.

The smoke color looks a bit dark on the card, but when they stretch out the ligs and put them on the ceramic brackets, they seem to disappear. You can barely see them. I've been really happy with this color and primarily use it.

If you never tend to eat/drink foods that may stain the ligs (red wine, curry, black coffee, lots of mustard, foods with lots of turmeric or saffron), then you can go with the regular clear ligs they use on ceramics. Those are virtually invisible.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Lala7603

#4 Post by Lala7603 »

Well im not sure how many orthos have this...but stain resistant clear ligs. And i swear to u they dont stain...i have had mine for 10 weeks...2 and a half months...and they havent stained AT ALL. Id say to u guys ask ur ortho about maybe getting them...they are so worth it. I drink tea and coffee...and no staining. My ortho actually at first got them as a trial...but hes had them like all the time now. If he ever got rid of them i would probibly make him get more..lol...my ortho is like in his late 20's hes so fun...oh and when an assistant takes of my ligs even they are suprised by them not being stained...and they see a lot im sure and would know. Im defenitly hooked!! :D :!:

Oh and i mentioned glow ligs...i found those stained less that regular clear ligs. And they glow a little in a black light. Just another option :D
Braces On: November 21, 2003
Braces Off: December 17, 2004
Braces Back On: November 6, 2007
Braces Back Off: 2008

Leslie

Re: Hello

#5 Post by Leslie »

Hey thank you for the sane input- I know I'll deal with it fine! I'm in the anxious/nervous stage right now, just like everyone with 'em has been, I'm sure. You're from the 'Couve? I was in Vancouver earlier today- rain rain rain :?

Leslie

Kevin wrote:Hello from another northwesterner. :)

Honestly, there is no need to be concerned about braces and your line of work. Most people won't notice and those that do will say nothing (because it's not a big deal to them) or they'll have positive comments. I have all metal braces and have had full powerchains for the past 3-4 months at least. I always pick colors and smile a lot and people still don't notice (or don't care).

Congrats on getting braces! They'll have absolutely no impact on your job unless you let them. ;)

Kevin

Leslie

#6 Post by Leslie »

Thanks Lynn! Because I love all those foods & the red wine you mentioned, it sounds like smoke will be my first choice. :)

bbsadmin wrote:Depending on what sort of food you eat, Smoke colored ligs work best on the ceramics, in my opinon.

I like to eat curry (which stains the ligs in an instant). But with the smoke color, it takes 2 or 3 curry meals before the staining is apparent, and even then it's subtle.

The smoke color looks a bit dark on the card, but when they stretch out the ligs and put them on the ceramic brackets, they seem to disappear. You can barely see them. I've been really happy with this color and primarily use it.

If you never tend to eat/drink foods that may stain the ligs (red wine, curry, black coffee, lots of mustard, foods with lots of turmeric or saffron), then you can go with the regular clear ligs they use on ceramics. Those are virtually invisible.

Leslie

#7 Post by Leslie »

I will ask my ortho if he has these stain resistant ligs- sounds like a great idea. Since he nor his assistant mentioned them before, I'm not sure they have 'em. My ortho is also young & I was so relieved that his office is set up with adult patients in mind- I was afraid I would be sitting in the waiting area & chair with little kids in a cartoon-like atmosphere- whew!
Thank you,
Leslie
Lala7603 wrote:Well im not sure how many orthos have this...but stain resistant clear ligs. And i swear to u they dont stain...i have had mine for 10 weeks...2 and a half months...and they havent stained AT ALL. Id say to u guys ask ur ortho about maybe getting them...they are so worth it. I drink tea and coffee...and no staining. My ortho actually at first got them as a trial...but hes had them like all the time now. If he ever got rid of them i would probibly make him get more..lol...my ortho is like in his late 20's hes so fun...oh and when an assistant takes of my ligs even they are suprised by them not being stained...and they see a lot im sure and would know. Im defenitly hooked!! :D :!:

Oh and i mentioned glow ligs...i found those stained less that regular clear ligs. And they glow a little in a black light. Just another option :D

Lala7603

#8 Post by Lala7603 »

from what i hear the get sent a lot of stuff from companies to try out...adn the ligs were jsut one of them...i have said b4 that i ahd a problem with staining and maybe thats y i got to try them...but i wish i had them frm the start...if they didnt id maybe try smoke since lynn gives them good reviews...and shes had them 4 a while and im sure would know..lol...!!..oh and i found that i actually like getting color on the bottom...u cant really see the color that much on my little tiny metal brackets. At first i was way too scared to do it....but now i love them..dont have to worry about those staining with bright pink ligs...lol...but b4 i got the bright pink i got glow-in-the-dark pink...they are like see through pink...u really couldnt tell they werent clear unless u were liek up really close...it just got me into the color thing...and they dont really glow in the dark...only under a black light....well gl tomorrow!!
Braces On: November 21, 2003
Braces Off: December 17, 2004
Braces Back On: November 6, 2007
Braces Back Off: 2008

hidngat39

colored ligs on ceramics

#9 Post by hidngat39 »

I'm lucky since I don't like any of the things I've been told to stay away from! Wondering if anyone has ever asked the ortho to try all sorts of colors for you as you sit in the chair-not requiring you to keep them on until the next adjustment? I guess if they weren't too swamped, they would, wouldn't they? I'm afraid I'll choose a color that sounds ok, but hate them before I leave the office. Anyone? thanks!
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!

Chris

#10 Post by Chris »

How many people really look that closely at your teeth to see if the ligs are stained? Wear what you feel comfortable with; if you act like its no big deal wearing them, nobody will pay much attention. I found that if I tried to suppress my rather wide smile that people looked CLOSER at my mouth. Just give em a big grin! :D
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007