and so it continues...UPDATED 10/31/07 - SOOO close to done!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gunter8888

#16 Post by gunter8888 »

Had another adjustment yesterday. Initially, the adjustment was pretty uneventful - new ligs and wires, but the wires were the same size as last month. Then the doc asked his assistant to take an impression of my upper jaw. I immediately stopped him to ask what for. It was safe to assume that it wasn't for a retainer, but he had mentioned a mystery "appliance" about 2 months ago. I hadn't given the "appliance" a thought since it was not mentioned at my last adjustment and things seemed to be progressing nicely. Dr. W revealed that I would be getting a Sagittal Appliance for my upper jaw. Basically, the device expands the arch forward/back. It will also have acrylic over my molars to help even out the leveling of my front and back teeth.

Here's a link to a picture I found on the web - http://www.johnsdental.com/images/ortho ... gittal.JPG

After having a removable expander for the first 6 months of my treatment and being very thrilled to be rid of it 5 months ago I am seriously bummed out to be getting a new hunk-o-plastic. I endured it once with eagerness and a great attitude, but lately I have been going through a mid-treatment crisis. I am kind of getting tired of my braces and I really want to be done with them. This news doesn't help those feelings at all.

I didn't ask how long I would have the new torture device. I think I was too stunned and disapointed. Guess I will find out when I go back to pick it up next Wednesday.

I really want my mouth back. :(
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

gunter8888

#17 Post by gunter8888 »

Oh, I forgot to mention that I will also likely be getting Inter-Proximal Reduction on some of my lower teeth. No date is set yet, but I am pretty sure that I am not looking forward to it.

It also doesn't help that I have had more pain from this adjustment than I have had in a long time. Even though I got the same size wires as last adjustment - go figure!

Sorry for the long, depressing rant.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007

gunter8888

#18 Post by gunter8888 »

Gotta love a positive point of view! Thanks Karen. I just had some amazing chile verde for lunch and things don't look quite so bleak. One more upside - when I finally do get my retainers I will already be used to having all that plastic in my mouth. :D

I will be very interested to hear how your IPR goes. I read someone's account that made it sound rather dreadful. Others have said no big deal. If it gets me the space I need and gets me closer to "naked" I am all for it. Dr. W did say that I have fillings on a couple of the teeth he wants to "shave" so he would actually be shaving the fillings more than the teeth. Guess that's a plus.

On a funny note, my ortho usually refers to the IPR as "shaving" or "sanding". He has only used "Interproximal Reduction" once. While I appreciate his efforts to put things into layman's terms, "sanding" kind of bothers me. I am not fond of thinking of my mouth like a wood shop. Black & Decker has no place in my mouth! :D
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007

jamie315

Hey gunter

#19 Post by jamie315 »

Hey gunter, I just found ur posts, so I just read through your journey, and wow, what a trip its been. Im sure it did come as such a blow that will have to go back into another appliance, but u know what, I guess you just have to keep positive and think of the end result u know, it will so worth it. Thats what I keep telling myself, although my treatment is different from yours. As for IPR, I just had it dont last week on one of my top incisors, not bad at all, it was a little sensitive the first couple days, but after that u never even knew, and Im really happy with how my tooth looks now. Well goodluck with everything, keep on posting, look forward to reading following up.

gunter8888

#20 Post by gunter8888 »

Just got to work after my quick visit to the ortho to pick up my "appliance". Appliance seems like a fitting term. With this thing in I feel like I have a refrigerator in my mouth. Holy hunks-o-plastic Batman!

Its got a thick slab of acrylic over my palate from the back of my front teeth to my back teeth, more acrylic over the back 4 teeth on both sides and a screw assembly in the middle.

The ortho is giving me until Friday to get used to it before I begin turning the screws (turn both screws once a week). How kind of him! :roll:

I thought that after my original expander experience being able to talk with it in would be easy. HA! Was I wrong. The next few days should be interesting. It doesn't help that I am in the middle of quarter end here at work and everything is absolutely insane.

Just one more leg of my journey to a killer smile, eh?
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007

gunter8888

#21 Post by gunter8888 »

Little slow in posting on my most recent adjustment.

I went in for my scheduled adjustment on Wednesday. Dr. W took a close look and was very pleased with what he saw. He says we are making progress on the crossbite on my right side. He was also pleased with the progress made by my Class III elastics.

I have to say that my tops are looking marvelous. I am no expert, but I would dare say they are almost perfect. The bottoms have a little way to go, but they have made some great progress. My underbite is slowly correcting. My lowers used to be in front of my uppers. They are now even with one another.

My sweet, sweet wife often comments on how great my teeth look and how wonderful my smile is going to be when I am finished. She's the greatest!

Oh yeah, back to the adjustment (I could go on for days about my sweetheart).

For the 3rd adjustment in a row I got the same size/shape wires up and down. I still have the Class III elastics and the appliance. I am getting used to having an appliance again so its not too bad anymore. The only real change was that he went with a power chain across all my lowers. The elastics have done a nice job of pulling my lower teeth back and some gaps had opened around my canines. He is hoping to close them up and pull the lower fronts back a bit.

I was expecting some discomfort from the power chain, but it hasn't happened. I was a wee bit tender Wednesday evening, but not even enough to bother with Tylenol or Ibuprofen. :D

Between my wife's wonderful comments and support and the progress I have had lately I feel somewhat rejuvenated. There is a light at the end of this tunnel and I am quite certain the end result is going to be awesome.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007

gunter8888

#22 Post by gunter8888 »

Time for another adjustment update. I went into yesterday's appointment ready to insist that he do the IPR or pull a tooth or two; anything to get things moving again. Yes, I am impatient. :?

Dr. W is such a low-key, mellow kind of guy. He listened patiently to my concerns then just smiled and said, "Okay, let's take a look and see what's going on in there." After a moment or two of peering and poking he sat up, smiled and exclaimed, "You're doing great!" Apparently my underbite is diminishing, my crossbite is correcting, my bottoms are straightening out nicely and my tops are nearly done. Needless to say I backed away from my initial intentions.

As if to acknowledge my need for progress Dr W made some significant changes and boy am I feeling them now! The tops remain the same; .018 round stainless steel wire. The bottoms changed from a rectangular NiTi wire to a round .018 stainless steel wire. The power chain was reduced to just canine to canine (it had been on all the lowers). Then he added rotation wedges to both lower canines. At first I was excited to get the wedges. My canines have been rotated for as long as I can remember and the ortho had been using ties to try and rotate them, but they hadn't budged. Within an hour I was a little less excited about getting the wedges. They are moving now! He also increased the turning on my expander. I am now supposed to turn the key twice a week intstead of once a week.

I asked for progress and did I ever get it! I am feeling it now. I haven't broken down and taken any ibuprofen, but that may be coming soon. The only downside is that today is my birthday and my wife is throwing me a party tonight. We are having some friends over to grill some burgers and hang out. As tender as my front teeth are right now biting through a burger may not be possible. :( At least birthday cake is soft, right? :D

I have encountered one problem though. My underbite has gone from my lowers being in front of my uppers to uppers and lowers meeting directly. So now, my front teeth make contact, but my molars cannot touch. It makes chewing difficult and right now, while my lower fronts are so sore, it is extra painful. I am sure that as my Class III continues to correct this will pass, but for now its anoying.

Dr. W says things are going great and is very positive about my progress. I still haven't gotten brave enough to ask for an estimate of how much longer my braces journey may last. I feel a little like my 6-year old son when I took him camping last weekend, "Dad, are we there yet? How much longer?"
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007

gunter8888

#23 Post by gunter8888 »

The expander I am now using is really making my uppers come down. It has acrylic over the molars. So, when its in, my fronts cannot touch. I guess its a lot like the bite turbos or molar buildups that other folks have except I am fortunate in that I can take mine out to eat. :D

Good luck in reaching the elusive Class I!!!
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007

Miss Smiley

#24 Post by Miss Smiley »

When I don't want to feel the progress, I sure get bopped in the mouth with it. Here you are trying to feel it and I am trying to avoid it. You masochist!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

jamie315

wow

#25 Post by jamie315 »

I always just have to think all this pain is postive, even though it is absolutley miserable at times. Well im sure all pain will subside soon.

jamie315

correction

#26 Post by jamie315 »

Maybe I should have worded that better, pain is such a STRONG word, what I should have said is discomfort, I have a very good ortho, and I have never been in so much "pain" that I could like die or anything. You know what I meant, soreness of new wires, rubbing of the bracket on the lip, extractions. Srry for the mix up, just saying that when these things do bother you I know my teeth are moving, srry it sounded so teriible, lol.

gunter8888

#27 Post by gunter8888 »

I agree with Jamie. Pain is a strong word. Discomfort is better suited. After months of not feeling much of anything, feeling some discomfort again was reassuring. In my mind that is a sure sign of movement and movement it good.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007

gunter8888

#28 Post by gunter8888 »

Time for another adjustment update. A pretty exciting one, too!

I went in expecting to hear the usual, "Things are moving nicely. Same size wires. Same powerchain. Same elastics. See you in a few weeks." To my surprise Dr W asked his assistant to get him an "interproximal strip". I didn't understand what he was talking about until he began explaining that he was going to "sand" between a few of my teeth. He explained that in 3 of the 4 spaces he was going to sand there were fillings so that he would be reducing fillings, not actual teeth.

The Interproximal Strip was like a narrow, metal ribbon with some kind of abrasive surfaces on both sides. He slid it into each gap and filed back and forth. At times it jostled my head a little, but absolutely no pain. Then he put a little abrasive disk on the drill tool and widened the spaces a bit more. Finally, he went back to the strip to round out flat surfaces that the disk created. In the end he said he created about .5mm of space in each gap. Its barely visible. He says it should be enough space to pull my lowers the rest of the way behind my uppers. They are SO CLOSE! :D

There has been much discussion here about IPR. Let me say that it is WAY EASY. The filing/sanding is a little strange in a fingernails-on-the-chalkboard kind of way, but there is ZERO pain.

I finally got up the nerve to ask for an estimate on how much longer I would be in metal. I was prepared to be disapointed wtih numbers like 9 or 10 more months. Instead he smiled, took another look at my teeth and said, "It could go a little longer, but if things keep going the way they are I'd say 3 or 4 more months." I just about leapt out of the chair! I know things have been progressing nicely and that my tops are essentially done, but I hadn't dared believe that I could be this close to done. My mind is overflowing with images of my perfected smile. :D
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007

smallbutmighty

#29 Post by smallbutmighty »

WOW, GUNTER! What good news. It seems you have accomplished such a lot in such a relatively short time (although not short to you, I'm sure!). :)
It's all in how you see yourself!

gunter8888

#30 Post by gunter8888 »

Oh! I am getting so close!

Had my first appt with the new ortho (Dr. C) this morning. You can read about that here - viewtopic.php?t=22228

Dr. C agreed that I am within 2-3 months of being done. He also decided to "step things up a bit". He changed my elastics from 5/16" to 3/16" to try and finish correcting my underbite (its SOOO close!). He also did a little more IPR on my lower left canine to give it some room to rotate into proper alignment and added a rotation wedge to make that happen. I no longer have the power chain on bottom, but he said it would be back as part of the "finishing stage" in the very near future.

Its very exciting to be this close to being done! :D
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007