36F - Did anyone else feel vain/guilty about getting braces?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

copperpenny

36F - Did anyone else feel vain/guilty about getting braces?

#1 Post by copperpenny »

So, I'm going for my consultation on Thursday with the possibility of getting braces same day. I'm actually okay with this...but I have a few concerns: 1)A silver filling that you can see from the font. Past dentists have asked to replace it but I never did. It's twin cracked a year ago and was replaced. 2) I have no idea if I have any other issues besides my front tooth gap and slight lean of 2 front teeth on the bottom. Other than that I have no other issues you can see.. Etc. 3) I have my wisdom teeth in full, but they dont bother me. I really don't want extractions.

I'm very curious about the plan the orthondontist will put together. I admit, I'm hoping the bottom braces aren't needed for long.

I almost didn't set up the appointment because I thought I had finally accepted that I was beautiful with my gap and for awhile it's been liberating. I don't cover my mouth and O smile openly. And all my friends are like: we love your gap/smile. However, I've been feeling guilty and vain to get braces. Like why can't I accept myself as-is? But SHYT....It's my mouth and I finally have the income to afford the braces my parents couldn't...I'm tired of looking at pictures and seeing my gap.

On top of this, both my parents have had all their teeth removed. My mother had a large gap and bad gum disease although very young. And my father as he got older, his beautiful/perfect teeth separated so much...and for some reason had them removed too. Not sure if this was the poor man's dentistry or what. But I'm so scared that my teeth will do the same. Thankfully, they are very healthy (or so I think). 2 cavities as a child/replaced one and 1 w/ crown as an adult. I guess I'm saying this to make myself feel better when really, I just want to have beautiful smile/teeth and all.

Well that's my story. I'll post more once I have my consultation!
CopperP

laracroftt

Re: 36F - Did anyone else feel vain/guilty about getting braces?

#2 Post by laracroftt »

Well I am doing it purely for vanity reasons :lol: But there's nothing wrong with that. Looks do matter, and your smile is the first thing people see when they look at you! If it's something that's gonna make you happy and make your life better you're not hurting anyone so who cares if it's a little vain?

copperpenny

#3 Post by copperpenny »

Thanks for your kind words! I think I've spent so much of my life trying to ignore my gap, that it's quite weird to know it won't be there anymore. It will no longer be a part of my identity...that is sooooooo weird. But I'm so excited about having straight teeth to match my smile. Now the discomfort...I can live without...But we will see Thursday what the doctor thinks.

Momma2L

#4 Post by Momma2L »

Yes... but I think it's fine. Everyone is shocked that I'm getting braces because they don't "see" that I need them as my mouth, generally looks ok... BUT there are little things I notice...and hopefully I will have less cavities as well. :BigTeethGrin:

copperpenny

#5 Post by copperpenny »

I guess that's what bugs me is when ppl with straight teeth and such tell me I don't need braces...And that I look fine without...inside I'm like why am I not allowed to have a complete smile too? I know I'm internalizing it...but as a dentist told someone I know: they aren't saying your smile is nice, but that you're a nice person. Lol

ZariasMommi

#6 Post by ZariasMommi »

Did I feel vain?? Yes! Did I feel guilty?? No! :lol:
Don't dwell on it. Everyone wants a beautiful smile and if you are able to afford it go for it.
My parents like yours could not afford it for me as a teen, so here I am at 30 making $200 monthly payments to get what I want/need. :-#)
Happy Brace Journey!

copperpenny

#7 Post by copperpenny »

So, I went to my consultation and he said I only needed braces for a year and he recommended Invisalign...He said for a year in braces and my type of gaps I didn't need to get metal. Surprisingly he also asked me if I was sure I wanted to give up my gap. Me: Yep, it's time for it to go.

Lawd. What is it with gaps being a personality trait? lol.

metalliKa

#8 Post by metalliKa »

I never felt vain in wanting to smile beautifully and believe having a beautiful smile is an essential part of a person's confidence and should not be faulted for wanting it.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

MissTan

#9 Post by MissTan »

I'm new to this forum. I actually get upper and lowers on Tuesday.
I have pretty straight teeth... However they are not perfectly straight. I have an overbite and one of my front teeth is a bit turned.
I'm over 30 and some of my closest family members are telling me how it's a waste of money and how it's very vain of me.
... It's my money...
Vain, no... I just want as near perfect teeth as possible.

desertd

#10 Post by desertd »

Totally natural. It's a big change and big investment of time, money, and confidence. I am considering treatment for strictly more practical reasons (crowding and overlapping teeth causing pain and pushing out of place) and I even feel guilty thinking about it. Going to go in this spring for a consult after my general dentist appointment to see if I can do it now or if I'll have to wait and save up a bit but at times part of me thinks, why do you want to do this? What I've had to do is remember my end goal and I'm letting that motivate me.

copperpenny

#11 Post by copperpenny »

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm on day 2 of my invisalign. I'm glad it happened...but now I'm trying to figure out to hold my mouth. I've been manipulating my mouth for so many years, that I now don't know how to smile or set my face when I'm not smiling. LOL.

I still have people telling me "WHY? - You are so cute with your gap". It's starting to get irritating. I just want to say this is my mouth and why can't I have straight teeth too! But at least that means people don't care about perfection as much I thought. But I still can't wait for this year to pass by and smile.

pigirl123

#12 Post by pigirl123 »

my teeth are actually so ugly. they are quite crooked and it’s uncomfortable when i close my mouth. but i’ve tried telling my parents that i may need braces and they keep on calling me vain and saying that apparently my teeth are fine. its not so much of the looks but the uncomfortable feeling i get when closing my mouth. but they won’t listen to me and they said that if i want braces now, because of how ugly my teeth are, will i eventually go for something
like plastics surgery later on. i don’t see how that’s related and i just want to be normal for one is it so hard for them to see that i actually need braces? they can’t understand me because none of them have had the need for it.